PREVIEW: Life ain't so bad after all, live your life off the wall

Juju

I was going to start this preview with a lengthy vent about all the issues and limitations I encountered while doing this mod. But since, against all initial odds, I'm actually quite satisfied with the end result, I won't :)

Only some final testing yet to be done, so it won't be long before release.

A big thank you to TanksaLot, without whose suggestions this mod would have been merely mediocre!

Juju%27s%20brick%20wall_preview.jpg

Juju%27s%20rural%20stone%20wall_preview.jpg

Juju%27s%20stone%20wall_preview.jpg

Excellent work! Obviously, I spent far more time working with the bocage and not walls for the content I generated for the Normandy title. I'm using a lot more walls in my current work for the Commonwealth module and I was just thinking the other day that the stock walls look too modern. This will make working on these maps more pleasing. Cheers.

Thaks for a all the nice comments, guys!

These look really nice Juju. Excellent work! You have me kind of curious now, though. What were some of the issues you encountered?

In short? ;)

- Horizontal and vertical texture compression and stretching depending on whether you're looking at a tall or short wall, whether it's on a slope or not and whether it's positioned diagonally or not.

- Texture compression along the last few meters from corners and edges of a wall.

- The fact that a single 'stretch' (har har) of wall only covers about half an action spot, which severely limits the possibilities as I needed to make sure there is no obvious repeated pattern when looking at walls from any distance greater than a few meters. Like trying to find a balance between a unique/generic look.

- Unnecessary stretching of some of the textures on the BMP's. By this I mean, for instance, that on the tall stone wall I worked on a canvas of 256x256 pixels. I then stretch the image to the required 512x256, stick it in the game, and the game engine subsequently compresses the texture back to look like it was on the 256x256 canvas! I mean, what's that all about?

Once you know what you're up against, and accept the limitations of what you can or cannot do it's okay, but when you're in that first stage of modding something and these issues just keep on piling up one after the other, well, things just get frustrating to a point where you think, 'why do I even bother?'

There. I vented after all. :)

Thank you very much, gentlemen. You're all very kind.

And I've just uploaded the mod! Y'all know how it works by now: Go to GreenasJade's to download immediately, or wait a bit for the Repository download to become available.

Enjoy,

Juju

Those look amazingly good, especially the first and third images (I think I like the 2nd one better stock, honestly). The red brick wall looks so much more detailed and less "computery" and the third wall looks old and weathered, like a wall in Normandy should. Very different from the pristine stock texture that looks like it's fresh from the construction site.

I really wish BFC would take some of these community textures and incorporate them into the game itself, they look that much better.

These are definitely a big step in the right direction; the brick is particularly nice.

If I may be permitted to offer a bit of constructive criticism on the stone walls, especially the high wall: the walls in Normandy do not seem to have gaps as large as those depicted, and they rarely seem to have the level of uniform vegetation growth in the spaces between stones. Instead, they are usually made up of fairly tightly fitted stones of fairly uniform color and with little vegetation. Sometimes you will see a mustard-yellow lichen growing on the vertical surfaces and a black-green variety on the top.

I've probably got some other photos around, but this was the only one I could come up with right now. Note the wall along the road in the lower portion of the photo, and the detail of the top surface in the left foreground.

2-45.jpg

I was going to start this preview with a lengthy vent about all the issues and limitations I encountered while doing this mod. But since, against all initial odds, I'm actually quite satisfied with the end result, I won't :)

Only some final testing yet to be done, so it won't be long before release.

A big thank you to TanksaLot, without whose suggestions this mod would have been merely mediocre!

Juju%27s%20brick%20wall_preview.jpg

Juju%27s%20rural%20stone%20wall_preview.jpg

Juju%27s%20stone%20wall_preview.jpg

I like these, could there be some with pockmarks on stone walls from bullets?