Future of CMx2

I haven't seen anything really official on what the future holds for the CMx2 engine. I've heard people talking about "The Commonwealth Module" but only from non-Battlefront sources. Does anyone know what has been made public about future plans for CMx2?

It seems that development of the new CMx2 engine is much more labor intensive due to the much more advanced engine vs CMx1. I hope this doesn't mean all fronts (possibly ignoring Pacific) will not be done due to time/labor/money constraints brought about by the increased level of complexity.

Personally, once Western Europe is fully fleshed out, I would like to see the Eastern Front revisited if that is the only other possible major work by BF on this engine. CM:BB was my favorite of the CMx1 bunch.

What do you all think? If only one other theatre of operations after Western Europe was covered, which would you like it to be and why?

P.S. Battlefront - Please bring back Modest Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" on the game intro page if you do another Eastern Front game, just loved that to death.

The development plan was announced by BF some while ago, and there is a thread about it if you search.

In short there will be three modules to CMBN, 21st Army group, Market Garden and and odds and sods. Then there will be a new game, also with, I think, three modules to take the west front from the winter of 44 upto the end of the war in Europe. Once that it done East front games will be developed. So I reckon we won't see anything in Russia for at least three years, probably nearer four.

I hope development time is shorter than that. I am not getting any younger......

Well, unless BF start contracting out a lot of the work I can't see that there will be less than six months between modules. That is faster than they have managed so far, but they have less fixing of the core engine to do, and it would be in line with their strategy as stated by Steve years ago. They do have Mr. Cuilton on board now, of course, so we might be pleasantly surprised.

It seems that development of the new CMx2 engine is much more labor intensive due to the much more advanced engine vs CMx1.

Exactly the opposite.

i understand CMx1 they practically needed to rewrite the game each time they did another title. I was a living hell I hear. CMx2, by my count, one title and two(?) modules were handled in large part by outside shops. That would've been impossible with CMx1. Only a few of the 'usual suspect' Beta testers got to touch CM:Afghanistan. If BFC's 'behind schedule' its probably because CM:Afghanistan came entirely from out of the blue. For awhile there they were juggling three titles concurrently.

Are CMx2 vehicles more labor intensive? Yeh, but that's really our own damned fault. Nobody actually ordered us to get every bolt on every vehicle historically accurate.

Are CMx2 vehicles more labor intensive? Yeh, but that's really our own damned fault. Nobody actually ordered us to get every bolt on every vehicle historically accurate.

True, but everybody loves them. The very first thing I do with a new module or game is to oogle over the new models/vehicles. Simply beautiful! :)

I do recall hearing the West front games don't have to be complete before the East Front games. Since there are other people working on CMx2 besides their core team.

Please: have some consideration. At my age, the thought of an early Eastern front game got me so excited my wife had to fan me vigorously. Having survived the return of CM to the Mac, I remain fragile; and only regular applications of Glenfarclas 105 keep me active.

Please: have some consideration. At my age, the thought of an early Eastern front game got me so excited my wife had to fan me vigorously. Having survived the return of CM to the Mac, I remain fragile; and only regular applications of Glenfarclas 105 keep me active.

You need to have a Son.Everyone should have thier own personal Fan Boi for this very reason.:D

IIRC they will also start development on CMSF2, another modern warfare title, before they are done with all currently planned WWII titles. I'm not sure where in the lineup this will fall but I am sure that they do not want to wait 3 years to start it. Bad news I'm sure for all you WWII only guys, but good news for us modern warfare fans. :) I also recall someone saying that some of the development will be shared by Snowball (or another Russian developer?) on some title. Not sure if it was CMSF2 or an Eastern front WWII game.

The development plan was announced by BF some while ago, and there is a thread about it if you search.

In short there will be three modules to CMBN, 21st Army group, Market Garden and and odds and sods. Then there will be a new game, also with, I think, three modules to take the west front from the winter of 44 upto the end of the war in Europe. Once that it done East front games will be developed. So I reckon we won't see anything in Russia for at least three years, probably nearer four.

It would be helpful if you gave him search terms that would work.

CM:Afghanistan is a title that would greatly benefit from a flood of 3rd party scenarios from experienced old CMSF hands. Only a few of the scenario in that title were from 'the usual suspects'. It has a lot of potential. Afghanistan is the only theatre that you can justify putting a giant freakin' montain on the map! there's no towering alpine peaks in Normandy.

CM:Afghanistan is a title that would greatly benefit from a flood of 3rd party scenarios from experienced old CMSF hands. Only a few of the scenario in that title were from 'the usual suspects'. It has a lot of potential. Afghanitan is the only theatre that you can justify putting a giant freakin' montain on the map! there's no towering alpine peaks in Normandy.

exactly, after all its basically CMSF with new addons but the scenarios where the things that lacked, for me they had no apeall

I think I'm looking forward to the eastern front more than CMSF2 now.

The problem [for me] with Afghanistan was that it felt so isolated and small (both the in-game world and the game itself, all alone between WW2 and SF). I think I'll give it another go though, if not just to be able to play as Soviet Russia.

I don't think I will be fully satisfied with WW2 untill my Pz38t trundles around a forest path and bumps into a KV-2 causing a mad scramble to bring up a 88 Flak gun. I don't even want to think how long it will take until we get to Eastern front 41.

You can get something very similar to that in World of Tanks if you want.

Proviso's:

1. It's not nearly as realistic, but still falls within your requirements

2. The 88 would have to be attached to a Tiger tank

LMFAO! Well said and I do empathize.:)

I don't think I will be fully satisfied with WW2 untill my Pz38t trundles around a forest path and bumps into a KV-2 causing a mad scramble to bring up a 88 Flak gun. I don't even want to think how long it will take until we get to Eastern front 41.

OMG you are making me sweat.

Infantry without effective AT assets.

Artillery which takes 8-10 minutes to call in, and is inaccurate.

Finns.

Can't we make time move faster!

One of the things I really, really enjoyed playing CMBB was the fact I could play as Finnish forces, Italian forces, Hungarian forces and of course Rumanian forces. I never really knew too much about this allies of the Axis until I played CMBB. I then would go get books, read all I could and understand the difficulties these forces had due to their TO&Es and the tactics associated with them. It was a very educational and fun experience...fighting battles I had never even heard of before.

I'm very much looking forward to the Eastern Front Modules for CMx2.