covering fire

French campaign, Third mission.

4 75mm guns.

3 infantry squads in trenches.

6 bridges.

An infinite number of German zerg rushes.

Reinforcements start with fragile tanks that shed tracks if you look at them funny. Only the B1-Bis has any survivability, the rest tend to die on contact.

Further reinforcements are infantry.

5 tries - 5 defeats.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Assume you're referring to the 'lines of confrontation' where you sit & try to halt multiple assaults over a river.

It can be tricky, but the main thing that will benefit your actions is cover. Ensure the guns are as buried as possible in bushes/trees; likewise with the armour & ensure they aren't allowed to break cover & go running off on their own. The effective calibre of the weapons far out-weighs their armour so use of the landscape is essential.

As long as you can keep up suppressive fire on the areas around the bridges the enemy stalls trying to cross. I found my best use of off-map support fire was on the west side.

When the FR reinforcements arrive in the NW ensure you get them to fill any gaps/re-man guns etc as a priority. I think one is most likely to fail if counter-attacking vs being dug-in.

The French campaign has had some good mods done for it by Arzok et all in the Uchronie mod BTW.

Thats pretty much what I do... but my guns get pancaked pretty quickly anyway. I've noticed that my tanks tend to go wandering off in all directions, my B1-Bis actualy spins around to face away from the enemy whenever I look away from it.

I'll look at those mods

The hold & defend commands will help. I also find telling the inf to go prone when in trenches keeps them alive longer. [There seems to be a flaw in how the cover is modeled for trenches & this seems to be a way round it.]

Holding fire till the last moment also helps max the enemy damage before they can zero in on your concealed units.

If you can't get through a mission I have found a 'cheat' which was presented elsewhere on the forum to be helpful -

(Having made a copy of the original files) Open the mission in the editor, dial some of the enemy forces down from elite/veteran to normal. Even a single unit reduced in this way can change the whole game.

You will find what gives you the most challenge without being impossible with a few trials. That way you get to have fun, learn the editor & save a few hairs in the process. ;)