Question regarding CM2 and ATI support...

Guest Mad Gunman

Guest Mad Gunman

Will CM2 have fog support for ATI graphics cards, or will I have to go without fog again. :mad: As I have yet to experience the game with fog *sniff*.

ATI is the culprit when it comes to the lack of fog in CM. ATI has not developed drivers for DirectX that support fog-tables to the extent that CM needs. Instead I believe that they've concentrated on vertex-based fog which CM does not utilize (it probably wouldn't be appropriate for the way that CM works, I don't know). There were claims that the Radeon line supported fog-tables in the drivers (listed in registry settings), but I've yet to see an ATI card (on the PC) support the fog-tables in CM.

ATI on the Mac (QuickDraw 3D RAVE) has fog-tables. The drivers are written correctly.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold my breath for ATI to support fog-tables for CM. It has been quite a while and every driver I've seen for the Radeon and Rage 128/128 Pro has not supported fog-tables (though one Radeon driver completely greyed-out the screen when fog was to be displayed). All the registry tweaks and utilities for the Radeon that I've seen still have not provided this feature.

It is up to ATI to program support for fog-tables into their drivers. Their Mac development team has been able to do it for RAVE, so there really shouldn't be any reason why it can't be done (unless DirectX is really that hard to code for).

This is what I tried to tell my uncle when he upgraded his computer about the same time I did. The same computer shop that I upgraded at, put him in yet another ATI card and I asked what for? He said, "Whaddya mean?" I said, "ATI cards don't support Fog Table Emulation on a PC." The tech guy didn't even know what I was talking about. :rolleyes: I then said, "Well if you plan on getting any game, such as CM, that has fog in it, then that ATI won't be able to display it."

From what my former aid told me was that ATI cards are mainly for video-in/out. Meaning that they are good for video editing/recording and TV-in/out functions. ATI cards are 3D accelerators second. But like Schrullenhaft has said, even the Radeons still don't support fog under DirectX.

So your best bet would be to go buy an Nvidia-based card if you want fog.