Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Schrullenhaft....

Good day!

Thank you again for your continued assistance in mine and others lock-up problems.

I have discovered that CM seems to work when I play in a lesser resolution than I did with the gold demo (1248x1024 down to 1024x768). I was suprised by this, as it seemed like I should have no significant performance drop with my relatively modern hardware. In the general forum, I posted a survey asking others what resolution they use. So far, many are using a lesser resolution than I. One person, Pathfinder I believe, commented he has to keep his geoforce at 800x600 because "this baby heats up too quickly already". Could it possibly be that the demand I am putting on my chip be the cause of my sudden lock-ups? There is no fan on the graphics card (voodoo3 3000) and the computer is not exactly well-airated. For that matter, I do not know how well the cpu fan works, because I noted it is covered with dust! Thoughts?

I plan to purchase a new cpu fan as well as an auxillary fan for the card, but I would love to hear your insight.

Thank you

Jonathan

Most video card manufacturers should be putting on the correct sized heatsink and fan assembly (for those cards that need a fan) needed to operate their video cards at the clock-rates they are sold at (i.e. - if you overclock your video card, then the manufacturer's cooling solution may not be adequate).

Usually most heat related errors will show up within a certain amount of time of operation. It usually shouldn't matter what program you're running when it locks up.

The resolution itself really should not be an issue when it comes to heat generated by your video chip (although higher frequency output by the RAMDAC could warm it up a bit more). The main reason to run at a lower resolution is for performance reasons. The video cooling solutions you've seen are mainly geared towards crowded systems or video card overclockers.

Sometimes carefully blowing out the dust from your fans may help with the cooling. The dust should only be a worry if it is clogging up the CPU cooling vanes or slowing down/freezing up the CPU fan. Most of the dust build-up in a computer is fairly innocuous unless it is very thick.

Maybe it's possible that running at a high resolution and performing 3D operations at that resolution may be taxing your video card. The 3D operations are probably executed by a portion of the video chip designed specifically for this function. So it may be possible that running in 2D (standard desktop/application screen drawing) is fine, but 3D rendering starts to choke at certain resolutions or bandwidth demand. I wouldn't exactly guess that as being the cause, but reducing your resolution may be the answer for you. Once you install your new fans you may want to try a higher resolution to see if heat was the culprit or not.