CM Glitch?

MoJo

Hi all,

I have the CM Demo 1.02V and every screen (Menu Screens, etc) seems to be frozen when I make a selection and am forced to move the mouse over another option or the Ok button, then the correct selection highlights. Does this happen in the full version, I hope not! It is really frustrating and it would be nice to know that this glitch only seems to be on the Demo.

-Mo

------------------

"For every soldier that died at Dieppe, ten were saved on D-Day"

--Lord Louis Mountbatten

What platform (Mac or PC) are you running on ? The Demo typically runs just a little faster than the full version (smaller executable, less models, etc.). The problem you're seeing may be driver or setting related.

If you can provide more details on your computer (hardware, OS, etc.) we can make some more suggestions (typcially newer drivers or different settings to try).

I'm having problems getting info from Compaq on the Presario 1400T - is there any more specific model info on your particular Presario ?

What version of DirectX are you running ? Win98SE comes with DirectX 6.1. If you've installed any other games they may have upgraded you to DirectX 7.x. The latest DirectX version is 8.0.

Looking at Trident's website the Blade 3D (9880 chipset) supports DirectX 6.x, but apparently works very slow with DirectX 7.x +. Your Compaq may be based on a VIA chipset (MVP4) that has an integrated Trident video (there will be no chips on your motherboard marked with "Trident Microsystems" in this case). If that's the case then you'll want to download the VIA MVP4 video driver:

Trident Blade 3D (9880):

http://www.tridentmicro.com/videcomm/download/blade_9880.htm

VIA MVP4 (8400) (in the middle of the page under "Additional Drivers Applicable to All Platforms"):

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

The problem you describe is a bit strange. It is if the system is slow to respond to your clicks. This may be a mouse driver issue too. What mouse driver do you have loaded up ? A number of Compaqs use the Logitech drivers, which may cause problems. If so upgrade your Logitech drivers or uninstall them and use "generic" PS/2 mouse drivers (from Microsoft on the Win98 CD).

Logitech Mouseware 9.0:

http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_w98.cfm

You will also probably want to turn off any "themes" you may have running since that can cause graphics corruption in CM. I'd also suggest doing a "Ctrl-Alt-Del" to bring up the Close Program dialog box before running CM. You'll want to close down any other applications except Explorer and Systray. You may also need other programs running that are necessary for sound, modem or video.

WOW I really want to thank you for scouting around for me! Really appreciate it! I have DirectX 8 and I use a USB mouse but I dont know if it is Logitech or not (Could that be the problem?) Also I am playing on a Laptop which might effect certain games.

And since DirectX 8.0 is installed into the Windows system files that means I can't delete it and reinstall an earlier version of DX without reinstalling windows (or at least thats what a friend of mine has told me). I will download the latest video driver though and see if that works. THANK YOU once again!

-Mo

------------------

--Lord Louis Mountbatten

That's one of the reasons I couldn't find it (but Compaq still has pitiful support for your unit) - it's a laptop.

Becareful with the drivers I've just recommended to you. I'm not sure which chipset your laptop is based on. Trident doesn't offer much support anymore for their video chips. They've gone the route of assisting chipset makers in integrating video into their "northbridge". VIA is one manufacturer and I believe ALI is the other.

Your laptop chipset may be based on an ALI rather than a VIA. Check this by going to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click/open the System Devices icon in the device listing > look at the listing of devices under this key. Some of them should list the chipset vendor (i.e. - VIA, ALI, Intel, etc.). Sometimes these are generic and no help, but drivers are often loaded or Windows default set of drivers can often identify the chipset family and its maufacturer. Do this before you apply any of the previously posted video drivers !

ALI (Acer Labs) CyberBlade i1 chipset driver (AGP driver section, either 1.69 or 1.60a):

http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/cyberi1.htm

As for the mouse... The Compaq desktops often used Logitech as the OEM for their mice. I'm not sure who Compaq is using for the USB mouse you have. You can check the underside for a possible manufacturer name in small print, somewhere. The other, more important thing, is to check to see what mouse driver Windows is using. Go to Control Panel > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click/open the Mouse device and see what it lists. If it identifies a manufacturer then it may not be a default driver (in which case upgrading it, if there is an upgrade available, may help with your problem).

As your friend mentioned... removing DirectX 8.0 is near impossible. There is a DirectX Uninstaller, but I don't know how well it works or if it has any particular problems with DirectX 8.

Reactorcritical (under the New Files section in green is a download for "DirectX Uninstaller 0.13):

http://www.reactorcritical.com/

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 12-19-2000).]

The manufacturer is based on VIA, I have 2 of these listings under the Device Listings:

-VIA Tech VT82C686 PCI to ISA bridge

-VIA Tech VT82C686 Power Management Controller.

As for the moust it is made by Targus. This is what I have under the mouse listing:

-HID-compliant mouse

and a Touchpad (I doubt that you can upgrade that).

The whole problem might be involved with DirectX 8? I think that might be it because some of my older games that use DX6 will not work with DX8 (Wonder why that is). I'm going to reinstall windows and see if that helps any.

Does that DirectX uninstaller actually work and does it uninstall DX8? Just want to clarify this. Thank you so much for your help

Schrullenhaft!

-Mo

------------------

--Lord Louis Mountbatten

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted a message here, just want to say that I've been spending alot of time with CM and am trying to ignore this problem I have. I was just wondering though, would disabling the Touchpad (if its possible) help me with this problem? I've noticed that this problem has happened alot to Laptop users which all have some sort of touchpad (I presume). TIA.

-Mo

With a Touchpad you can remove the drivers and often (though maybe not always) use a "PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port" driver that comes with Windows 9x. You may lose settings and certain functionality of your Touchpad, but it should still work (two buttons and movement). Removing the driver may be a bit tricky since removing the driver from the Device Manager listing may do little since it will be redetected upon startup and reinstall the same drivers.

Your problem is more likely attributable to the video drivers. The specific video chip you listed "CyberBlade i1" is built into the ALI chipset. I'm not sure which version is built into the VIA chipset, but it may be a slightly different model I'd suggest calling Compaq to find out the exact model (hopefully you'll get someone who knows something about the unit). Was your video driver setup this way when you got the laptop ?

The big problem with laptop users is that their video cards don't perform very well in 3D and they usually have very little video memory (since they're not geared for playing 3D games). This is starting to change a little, but the laptops with the better video chips and more video memory are usually the high end ones costing over US$3500.

DirectX 8.0 doesn't work with some earlier video games because some of the calls have been changed and the game developer's wrote their games towards a specific version of DirectX. With an update things change so some games don't work the same. A developer that's concerned about future upgrades can stick to programming in the API a little more stictly. Once you start optimizing things, there are chances that future compatibility is going to be questionable. So a lot of game developer's have to make this choice.