Sound Request

Can we please get different sounds for the K98 and M1 Garand

Same applies for MP40 and M1 Thompson. These weapons have distinct sounds in real life, and have been portrayed differently in every World War Two game since the beginning of time.

I know Steve said it was an issue with the amount of sounds, and the total game file sizes and all that, but honestly how much could 2 more sound files hurt the game?

Thanks

Even if there is a concern about file size, if they had "slots" for a separate sounds for those weapons, but used the same sound in the stock game, it would be up to the modders and the crazy sound grogs to choose to fatten up the game by introducing separate .wav files.

There is something about scrolling about a map, and hearing that unwelcome, unexpected sound of a distinctive enemy weapon that is delightful and disturbing at the same time.

I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion...

i was shocked, and almost didnt make my soundmod when i found out that these guns shared sounds (as i was afraid that they had been sloppy with all the sounds)

i, for one, would love to see separate sounds for bolt-action rifles and semi-auto rifles, and for .45 cal SMG's and 9mm SMG's

in fact, you could do this by an update (as in, making the update give the different guns different sounds, and include the sounds in the update, that way avoiding the whole "too many files on the cd" problem)

The MG 34 and 42 do seem to have sounds distinctive from the US MMGs, but they strike me as a little anemic. The US .50 also has a somewhat distinctive sound, but not as distinctive as it was in RL. I've heard the BMG and I wouldn't confuse it with anything else.

Michael

Same applies for MP40 and M1 Thompson. These weapons have distinct sounds in real life, and have been portrayed differently in every World War Two game since the beginning of time.

I know Steve said it was an issue with the amount of sounds, and the total game file sizes and all that, but honestly how much could 2 more sound files hurt the game?

This has been one of the most disappointing things about the game IMO. I can't fathom that distinct sounds are what's going to push this game over the edge. Are we going to have to suffer through this with the add-on modules also??? Is the Sten going to sound the same as the Thompson? Will the Russian guns also use the same files if/when the modules are released?

The MG 34 and 42 do seem to have sounds distinctive from the US MMGs, but they strike me as a little anemic. The US .50 also has a somewhat distinctive sound, but not as distinctive as it was in RL. I've heard the BMG and I wouldn't confuse it with anything else.

Yeah, I don't think any of those sound like their real life counterparts.

I'd like to have different engine sounds for different tanks. Panthers and Shermans should sound as different as the Garand and K98

Same applies for MP40 and M1 Thompson.

+1. For me it's pretty much the only (big) letdown in the whole game. One worth complaining about, at least.

The sound effects are the single most important effect for added ambience within the game in my opinion. They can make or break, and they're an essential part of this game. They really need to be improved upon.

I totally agree. Sounds are a very important aspect of the sim (background, voices, vehicles, and weapons), and I hope BFC will make improvements in this area.

• 1 month later...
Agreed. It just isn't right that a K98 has the same sound as a Garand. If nothing else, have one sound for bolt-action rifles (K98 and M1903) and one for semi-autos (G43 and Garand).

I'd prefer that the G43 and K98 use the same sound. Same nation, same cartridge, easier to tell who's shooting.

Same applies for M1903 and M1 Garand...same cartridge