Vista and Windows 7 with Old CM games

Is there any way to run the Combat Mission classic games (Babarossa, Afrika Corps, etc.) under Windows Vista and 7? I have the original CD's and they load and run, but I can't download and add new scenarios that are now available and i cannot get updates. I notice that the versions available from Battlefront are not Vista and 7 compatible.

I really liked these games and was upset when Vista and 7 killed them. Any advice?

keoman

I run mine no problem, Vista and 7, I did need the text patch tho' can't remember where I got it but I didn't pay for it.

Never had a problem downloading and installing and running scenarios, not sure what the problem is there, I only ever had the drama with the background of the in game text.

The latest free patches for the games are:

CMBO: 1.12

CMBB: 1.03

CMAK: 1.03

A 1.04/Vista patch was released in the summer of 2009. This patch costs US$5.00 and is a download-only. It will also convert your disc-based copy protected versions of CMx1 games to eLicense versions. The 1.04 patch was released for CMBB and CMAK (CMBO remains at 1.12). Each patch is separate (so it would be US$10.00 for both).

The 1.04/Vista patch ONLY updates some DirectX code to some newer 'calls' to be more compatible with DirectX 10/11 compatible video cards and drivers. Not everyone needed the 1.04 patch to run CMBB and CMAK under Windows Vista or Windows 7. Users who had DirectX 9.0/8.1 compatible (and earlier) video cards were able to run the games without problems. In fact Nvidia and ATI/AMD released drivers soon after the patch was released that addressed most of the issues that players were running into, obviating the need for the 1.04/Vista patch. However recent drivers from ATI/AMD have caused a graphical glitch that is eliminated with the 1.04/Vista patch.

No other issues were addressed in CMBB and CMAK with the 1.04 patch.

One of the things that you have to watch out for with using the CMx1 games under Windows Vista and Windows 7 is that there are new security features that can interfere with the game. User Account Control (UAC) is one of those features that can interfere. It can 'hide' files by silently writing anything that would normally appear in the '\Program Files' directory into the hidden 'VirtualStore' directory. So 'Prefs' files, PBEM files, game saves, will all be written to this hidden 'VirtualStore' directory. You can either turn off this feature (disable UAC) or you can launch your programs by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu. You can also find your files in the VirtualStore directory, though you'll need to set your Windows Explorer file manager to show hidden files and folders. Once File Manager is set to show hidden files and folders, you should typically find the CMx1 files here:

C: \Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\{possibly ..\Battlefront\'CM game' or just ..\'CM game'}

• 3 months later...