Monster Video AAR / Tutorial for Newbies (now uploaded)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's in the demo. You're doing something wrong, have you tried the suggestions made by other posters?

Only other thing I can think of is to hit Ctrl-I a few times. I believe it cycles through a few options of "no icons at all" "no enemy icons" "no friendly icons" "all icons." I definitely remember seeing ? icons in the demo.... although not necessarily in the setup phase. That depends on the scenario. Have you charged forward to spot a few enemies then pulled back (or hide) so you lose line of sight?

Also if you are playing on a lower difficulty setting, you may not be ABLE to lose line of sight, since enemies are always fully revealed on some of the lowest difficulties.

As for the mortars - sorry, I guess the demo has them not set up, which is a bit unfortunately. No preparation bombardment for you! Is there off-map arty in the demo? Like 105 howitzers? Those suckers will work too.

Only other thing I can think of is to hit Ctrl-I a few times. I believe it cycles through a few options of "no icons at all" "no enemy icons" "no friendly icons" "all icons." I definitely remember seeing ? icons in the demo.... although not necessarily in the setup phase. That depends on the scenario. Have you charged forward to spot a few enemies then pulled back (or hide) so you lose line of sight?

Also if you are playing on a lower difficulty setting, you may not be ABLE to lose line of sight, since enemies are always fully revealed on some of the lowest difficulties.

As for the mortars - sorry, I guess the demo has them not set up, which is a bit unfortunately. No preparation bombardment for you! Is there off-map arty in the demo? Like 105 howitzers? Those suckers will work too.

You can just set them up and them perform pre-prep arty no problem. One thing that could be though is that the pre-battle intel is a bit random and can change from game to game.

Anyway, it doesn't seem a like big problem to me if the demo has some slight differences like this, pressing the deploy button is not that hard, it rest of the video is still a great help.

I apprecuated that. Forgot to get my pocorn before I started! Well done.

Just a point bocage is like "bocaj" where the aj is pronouced as in Raj. Its taken me ages to think of a word where that worked . Incidentally two of the on-line dictionaries don't even have bocage as a word. Pathetic.

I apprecuated that. Forgot to get my pocorn before I started! Well done.

Just a point bocage is like "bocaj" where the aj is pronouced as in Raj. Its taken me ages to think of a word where that worked . Incidentally two of the on-line dictionaries don't even have bocage as a word. Pathetic.

It is very awesome that in doing a tutorial I learnt something as well :)

Excellent video. Thanks for taking the time to record and upload it. Is this from the full version or the demo? This was the first scenario I played in the full version. I managed a total victory on Iron level - 1000 points. 32 KIA, 19 wounded and 2 tanks lost. Wermacht had 50 KIA, 29 wounded and 12 missing. I used a lot more smoke than you did!

Excellent video. Thanks for taking the time to record and upload it. Is this from the full version or the demo? This was the first scenario I played in the full version. I managed a total victory on Iron level - 1000 points. 32 KIA, 19 wounded and 2 tanks lost. Wermacht had 50 KIA, 29 wounded and 12 missing. I used a lot more smoke than you did!

That was full version. My 3 KIA were: The tank commander who had his head sticking out the top @ 1:17:30 the driver from the buttoned up tank @ 2:13:30 and the radioman from the tank that pushed too far forward @ 2:29:10

Smoke, particularly over the top of the AT gun would have worked well. For assaulting through bocage it works pretty well if you can't get fire superiority (i.e. smoke up their HMGs.)

Thank you for this video and the time and effort you put by doin it :)

I've learned a couple things as well and I was really curious how another human would think tactic's wise.

Main difference is I use cover arc for every unit, I dont use FAST movement order and I micro manage a lot more in terms of waypoints.

Despite this you did better with only 3 KIA, If I remember correclty when I played the demo I had more than 10 for sure maybe around 16-17.

I had 2 tanks destroyed and one incapacited !

I did not played the same tactic, I went for a full left flank attack on the farm, then moved on to the bocage area after having destroyed the AT gun and HMG.

Well, I hope there will be another soon :P

Hear hear, sticky this. Thank you dakuth! What a great tutorial/AAR. I had struggled for a couple nights with the demo until I watched this great video, and found my enjoyment and understanding of the game increased immensely - so much so that I decided to buy the game.

It was pleasant to hear a familiar accent too... cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work. Great video for those new to the game or migrating from CMx1.

This video was just what I needed.

I learnt heaps from watching the video. Initially on trying CMBN I was a little lost / frustrated with the additional complexity over CMx1.

This video helped me immensely get to grips with CMBN, and appreciate what a fantastic game it is. CMx1 (CMBO, CMBB, CMAK) were all great in their day (haven't played them for several years), CMBN I now feel is even better.

Very very pleased to be some help :)

I'm thinking I should do a series of shorter videos on specific topics. I haven't though, because to do so properly would require making scenarios specific to the lesson and I have never played in the editor. So it'd be quite a bit of learning and work.

My second idea was to do a full length AAR of a "proper" scenario. I could cut out all the command phases and only record replay phases while commentating on what went well, what didn't etc.

Undecided at this stage.

dakuth - I connected it at Videogamegeek[.com] baby brother of Boardgamegeek and it is now vetted for inclusion : )

I see. I went and checked the site out, but actually couldn't really work out how it works. What's the go with the geek sites? (thanks for do that though :D)