Flavor Objects not providing cover

It was my understanding that flavor objects in the CMX2 engine did not provide concealment but did provide cover.

Some simple testing in CMBN showed me otherwise. Enemy troops were able to shoot through any depth of the "crate" object which I stacked in front of my defenders. I stacked up to 7 deep objects and rounds were passing right through them. Is the cover effect not cumulative? Or is there actually any cover being provided at all?

Isn't a Garand round supposed to be able to go through a 4 inch tree? :)

I haven't tested this in a dog's age but I believe only the things that are *expected* to provide cover provide cover (like logs) and only things that are *expected* to provide concealment provide concealment (liike heaystacks). Everything else is just for show. In earlier Beta builds crate objects were actually much bigger. I don't know why they were scaled-down, perhaps so you wouldn't get your hopes up about hiding behind them. Maybe they provide a bit of concealment (maybe) but probably no cover. Its been so long since I played with 'em i can't recall.

So what your saying is that only a few of the objects have any characteristics at all? The rest are just phantoms (for game purposes).

Fair enough, but is there any chance we could get a listing for these objects and how they work in the game? I'd like to utilize them for whatever benefit can be had for map design purposes. You say logs might be treated as solid objects in the game?

• 9 years later...

I don't have conclusive proof of it but I think some flavor objects (sheds, garden boxes etc) can throw pathfinding off for vehicles. Not in a major way but enough to have you turn your flank at an inopportune time. So I try to avoid them. Should be easy to test in the editor though.

On 7/1/2011 at 10:42 PM, MikeyD said:

Isn't a Garand round supposed to be able to go through a 4 inch tree? :)

I haven't tested this in a dog's age but I believe only the things that are *expected* to provide cover provide cover (like logs) and only things that are *expected* to provide concealment provide concealment (liike heaystacks). Everything else is just for show. In earlier Beta builds crate objects were actually much bigger. I don't know why they were scaled-down, perhaps so you wouldn't get your hopes up about hiding behind them. Maybe they provide a bit of concealment (maybe) but probably no cover. Its been so long since I played with 'em i can't recall.

Sheds or outhouses (can't figure which they are) work!

I keep lots of links handy in case I forget things-

via Steve:

Special note... Flavor Objects provide cover but not concealment. The degree of cover is, of course, dependent on what the object is. A soldier will get a lot more cover lying behind some tires instead of standing up behind a sign post

From way back here (don't think anything major has changed):

33 minutes ago, ASL Veteran said:

Color me surprised.  I've seen them get destroyed when vehicles drive over them (disappear).  I've never seen the pixeltruppen take a knee behind a flavor object - at least that I remember.  Interesting.  

Color me, too! I thought it was exactly opposite; Flavor Objects provide concealment, not cover.  Those jersey barriers someone (sorry, I should know this) did for SF1/SF2 will actually come in handy. Or will it?...I assume the cover is applied to the original flavor object, not the fake new image. Correct?

Well that's the thing.  There is a Well flavor object in CMRT so if it provided cover then you would see bullets bouncing off it since it's stone.  It might, I've just never tried it or noticed it.  At the same time though any flavor object that gets added to the game has to be coded on the back end by Charles to give it cover.  Flavor objects typically have a very low priority when it comes to getting a game completed so I'm not sure how much time is spent on giving flavor objects appropriate properties.  Map makers always want more flavor objects, but there is always push back on what we can have and how much effort is put into creating them.  Without Pete Wenman's good work we would probably still be using flavor objects from Shock Force in Final Blitzkrieg!  I kid, but only a little.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 6:25 PM, ASL Veteran said:

There is a Well flavor object in CMRT so if it provided cover then you would see bullets bouncing off it since it's stone. 

This assumes the game actually models that. The simpler solution would be for the "cover objects" to just eat bullets below a certain caliber.