Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mac Version of Public Beta crashes--Type 12 error

AAARRGGGH!

After round after round of unexplainable problems where the Public Beta download couldn't find StuffIt (always worked fine before) I went to Aladdin Systems, Inc.'s site (www.aladdinsys.com) to get the latest version, downloaded that, and after extended hairpulling, finally got StuffIt Expander 6.0 installed. I then unstuffed the Public Beta, yielding the expected folder. That was as far as I got.

When I opened up the folder and clicked on the tank icon, the computer crashed, providing a Type 12 error message, whatever that means. I rebooted the computer and tried again. Same thing happened.

Would someone who's Mac savvy please tell me why this thing is crashing? It's rock solid under 1.05. I'm running a 233 MHz iMac w 64 MB of RAM, 2 MB VRAM (ATI Rage Pro), all under OS 8.6.

I feel totally frustrated.

Thanks for any and all help.

Sincerely,

John Kettler

Guest Madmatt

Be sure that you move both the new files AND Folders. There should be a OpenPlay Modules folder in the CM directory now with some files. Some people, reported problems only to find that they moved the contents and not that directory itself.

Madmatt

No, I didn't. I thought this was a standalone folder just like the CM folder, especially since it includes a complete new executable.

So are you both saying that I need to simply drag the contents of the new folder (sans folder) into my existing CM folder in order to get the Public Beta 1.1 to work?

Please confirm that I've understood you correctly.

Thanks!

John Kettler

PS

If it matters any, I'm running Netscape Communicator 4.5.

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 12-04-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

You need to move all the files and any folders (the OPENPLAY MODULES one) into the exisiting combat mission folder. It is not a standalone directory as such, it needs to have all the other normal combat mission directories around it.

Madmatt

AAARRRGGGHHH Redux!

Madmatt,

I dragged everything over to my 1.05 CM folder, but the PBEM folder wouldn't go, because there was already one there. Since I have a game in progress with Kingfish, I sure didn't want to risk overwriting it. I therefore left the PBEM folder for the Public Beta in the Public Beta folder. I then clicked the Public Beta icon and ...crashed again. Yes, Type 12 error.

What did I do wrong this time?

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

I'm not at my Mac right now, so I can't confirm these names, but they should be pretty close.

The new files you need to copy over to your 1.05 directory are the 'Combat Mission Public Beta' (the executable), OpenPlay Lib (or library), and a folder called OpenPlay Modulues (inside that folder needs to be two items, one that has 'Appletalk' in the name, and the otehr that has 'tcp/ip' in the name. Make sure you keep these two items in side the folder though).

Those file names might not be exactly correct, but I think they're pretty close. Hopefully close enough that you can recognize them smile.gif

Just copy those three things (2 files and a folder) into your 1.05 directory. It shouldn't overwrite anything.

Oh, and I just remembered, there will be an extra sound file (like 'sounds 11' or something). That file needs to go into the 'data' folder in your 1.05 directory.

That will install everything correctly, if you still get the Type 12 error beyond that, you'll have to let Matt tackle it...

Ben

(edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 12-06-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

Be sure that you move both the new files AND Folders. There should be a OpenPlay Modules folder in the CM directory now with some files. Some people, reported problems only to find that they moved the contents and not that directory itself.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Matt matt Macs dont have directorys!!!!!!!

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC ;)

Join or get more info on Rob's CMC today Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Board

BHQS board