Needed Implements: what do you feel is lacking, is missing, is buggy?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that teams should be able to use the assault move even if it's a two man team. Another thing that I'd like is to have a "disengage" move, like the assault move but once the moving element stops it faces back and covers the element farther back as it retreats. What do you think?

• 1 month later...

I always lived in Normandy, so I used to play WWII in the bocage when I was younger... One thing is sure: it is possible to find a way through every hedgerows, with only a stick. So I think it should be great that soldiers can go through a hedgerow in a few minutes delay (according the type of hedgerow), as the have "shovel" to do that...

They could be more vulnerable when they go through (they just cut the vegetation and not dig the clay...), but this ability could be very useful, and I think more realistic...

I always lived in Normandy, so I used to play WWII in the bocage when I was younger... One thing is sure: it is possible to find a way through every hedgerows, with only a stick. So I think it should be great that soldiers can go through a hedgerow in a few minutes delay (according the type of hedgerow), as the have "shovel" to do that...

They could be more vulnerable when they go through (they just cut the vegetation and not dig the clay...), but this ability could be very useful, and I think more realistic...

Interesting point. I would hazard a guess that you were smaller and lither than an average soldier and not wearing any webbing and carrying extraneous kit like weapons, rations and ammo! : ) I think there is also the question of every soldier realising that they are in a fairly indefensible posture, and the question of noise attracting attention resulting in a fatal event. Not something as a boy you would have to worry about.! There is also the matter of time as the Germans were good at register mortars to hedgelines so the more time was spent exploring and groups of men gathering the more risky it might become. I also think that there is bocage and BOCAGE. Actually similar sorts of terrain does exist in the England - not unsurprsingly as both countries were Norman occupied and the climate etc being very similar. So where the terrain/soil type were the same you would expect the same crops and fields systems. I can imagine that there would be bocage like hedges that were "permeable" but I can also see that many were not even to a boy armed with a stick. : ) Incidentally as a younger man I was early on the Paintball scene and our band of novices faced the Blackheath Re-enactment Society. Whilst suitably impressed by their collection of WW2 vehicles the authentic uniforms and webbing seemed to slow them down in moving through a dank and untidy English wood as they seemed to catch the brambles and branches better than we did. Not directly relevant as we had no hedges to practice penetrating : ). French woods I hasten to say are much better managed. We would have been hugely more cautious in playing if it were a matter of dying. In game terms the balance may actually be right.

Yes, you're right about being smaller... But with a few men and shovels, job can be done very quickly. And if it is about being seen, it is up to us to decide if we go through or not. But this ability to "cut" almost every type of hedgerows could allow us to keep our precious demolition charges and save breath when there is no enemy around... don't you think?

I think it is a matter of the designers trying to make the game more realistic. We as players know we are meant to have a fighting chance as the attackers therefore game designers have to put in some checks and balances. If they are clever the checks can be factually based and I think in this instance the restraint of the hedge movement has worked very well. : )

Yes it has worked... But it seems it could work another way. I am just tired of being unable to go through a hedgerow in this wonderful game while I was able to do it in the same bocage in real life... ;)

You have to understand, the game is always right and therefore realistic - your real life is the buggy matrix - PLEASE GET WITH THE PROGRAM !

Yes it has worked... But it seems it could work another way. I am just tired of being unable to go through a hedgerow in this wonderful game while I was able to do it in the same bocage in real life... ;)

This is not the fault of the game! It's the fault of poor map designs.

We have "gap" sections of low and high bocage, which infantry (not vehicles) can pass through. Unfortunately, too few maps use them.

The standard best practice, IMHO, should be to have frequent random gaps, as often as every 5th or 6th section. Having these thin spots and wormholes completely changes the tactics of the game and makes it play far more realistically.

Thank you,

I've been tried to make this point for weeks. Now we have someone with actual Normandy experience. It is for this reason I think every map designer should put at least a gap or two in every hedgerow. This notion that hedgerows are impenetrable obstacles is false. Same can be said for the barb wire.

Thank you,

I've been tried to make this point for weeks. Now we have someone with actual Normandy experience. It is for this reason I think every map designer should put at least a gap or two in every hedgerow. This notion that hedgerows are impenetrable obstacles is false. Same can be said for the barb wire.

Not to be negative or sarcastic as I generally agree with your point, but comparing the activities of a child in Normandy to what would be experienced in combat behavior isn't a good starting argument.

It is for this reason I think every map designer should put at least a gap or two in every hedgerow. This notion that hedgerows are impenetrable obstacles is false. Same can be said for the barb wire.

Hmmm, dunno about that. But I do believe that gaps should be much more numerous in rows of Low Bocage. Like every other tile, at least. Preferably with a tile of dirt underneath, for realism and as a player aid.

Hmmm, dunno about that. But I do believe that gaps should be much more numerous in rows of Low Bocage. Like every other tile, at least. Preferably with a tile of dirt underneath, for realism and as a player aid.

In fact, hedgerows have two parts: one with dirt, hard to dig, and which stop tanks. The second part, on top of this first, is just vegetation. And the density of this part is very changeable, and we can almost every time find a way through it...

To me the main tactical point about the 'bocage' it isn't it was impassable (at least for the infantry), but that it is a perfect ambush environment where the men can find perfect cover and concealment, and proper supporting fields of fire to support each other. 'Till now I've played on good maps with many hedges' holes for the infantry to move through, but it's true at some point you have the impression that this barrier is a bit too overplayed.