grounddirtploughedorigi.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I try to rework ground dirt ploughed like you see below

grounddirtploughed.png

with deep work

grounddirtplougheda.png

Normally in Normandy you do not have plowed fields in June, July and August, plowing begins in early spring and late summer, autumn and for planting in November, I know it's a game but for the truth of the maps, it would be good form to use only the wheat fields or green crop instead, do not forget that Normandy is a region of more than crop farming, many orchards as well. I would also remove the corn after harvest, if someone has an idea? no bmp transparent pink.

Cheers

Pat

I would also remove the corn after harvest, if someone has an idea? no bmp transparent pink.

Then you'd have an apparently empty field that still provides full concealment. Not a good idea as the graphics should always reflect the cover and concealment somehow. Whether to have ploughed fields or not is a decision up to the map's designer, I don't see why it has to be changed by modding.

Also, I doubt that our contemporary crop information can be directly applied to the war years. In 1944 the French farmers would have been under a lot of stress - manpower shortages due to war and occupation, hardly any tractors or fuel for them, not enough work animals, and so on. Plus Germans dicking around... I would imagine that the land use would have been less than optimal and not all fields would have been sown at the best possible times. There wouldn't have been enough workers to harvest them simultaneously, either.

The plowed field looks FAR more like what I'm accustomed to seeing as far as texture and color. However, the sort of bright fields that come in the stock game appear to be the color of the plowed fields in Normandy.

Nevertheless, I want the darker fields.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa!! Incroyable et formidable!

+3 to all of these.

Can anyone French or Normandy-wise tell us whether there really would be tile roofs? Somehow I'm thinking gray slate might be more common -- at least on those old churches.

Both tiles and slates can be found, sometimes on a single church.

http://villers.web-sy.fr/eglise_tourgeville.jpg

As far as I know, slates became common during railroad development as they mainly come from the Angers area (more than 100 miles away); tiles don't need to be transported on a long distance, they are made on the premises, although the quality of the clay may vary from one place to another.

Thatch was also used for houses and farming buildings (but not for the churches :) ), progressively replaced by corrugated iron on some barns or sheds (metal roofs aren't common for houses).

At least tiles and slates should be available for each type of roof.