AAR: Colin I vs Hellraiser PBEM mirror game

Thanks Bill. It might be VERY late that US comes in.

Game 1

Experienced Tigers rumble forwards and take Leningrad (with massive air support) and Gorki. Japanese advance into India and hit Chinese.

Game 2

Hellraiser wins!!!!! We concluded it was hopeless waiting for the US and Axis (Germans) were already hitting India whilst Russian tank attack failed against Japan. Well played!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 1

Experienced Tigers rumble towards Helsinki whilst TAC sinks UK battleship (though UK destroyer gets a U boat). Japanese advance into India and hit Chinese,much as last round though more progress in both. Russian partisans do a surprising amount of damage to a Tiger tank. British carriers kill a minor Axis corps.

Game 1 - Colin Axis

British forces enter the Baltic again in order to take revenge on the sunk BB - result, 1 german TAC killed by carriers.

China is bombed to stone age, lots of units around last chinese capital, trying to buy time.

US fighters stationed in the pacific isles north of New Zealand hit hard an amphib - survived at str 1 :(

Russia behind the river running from Rostow to ... whatever those cities are named (gates of Urals) - we finished buying all fighters and tacs and an extra HQ and almost upgraded the entire army (tanks to lvl 4, infantry to 2/2). Line formed by corps mainly (a few armies as well) and in important places tanks, fortified in the cities.

I think Colin has a good idea, the Axis should be limited in their diplo on majors. Allies is okay, as the Axis can react...i.e. in my current game with him he is Allied and had 3 US hits. That means he had to be weak in units, so I'm pulling a delayed Sea Lion. But with the Allies so weak they could not adequetly respond if the Axis bought a slew of US chits. So I think the house rule should be that the Axis can only buy one chit per major. So they could buy one US and one Russia. Bob

Game 1 - Colin Axis

Germans attack RN vessels holding canals to the Baltic with mortars! Infantry retaliate for his carrier raid quite effectively. Buying back the TAC costs less than his losses I suspect.

In Russia Germans continue including liberation of Finland though he does have massive forces waiting.

The Japanese are the stars though - massive carrier support plus infantry assaults destroy 2 British Indian units plus continue to erode the Chinese.

Well nothing comes cheap - sacrifices have to be made. I won't lose any sleep over some boats sunk especially now that the german fleet is at the bottom. On the other hand, germans using tacs in west is good for Russia :)

This game is far more balanced than any i've played lately, with Allies really capable of conducting major operations around the world.

We will see how this will unfold - will Axis, with its excellent weaponry and experience prevail? Will USA be able to change the tide of war now that she is producing a very good amount of cash (IT lvl3) and sports a monster fleet plus soon the mightiest of the air armada ever seen? Time will tell ^^

Game 1 - Colin Axis

During Axis' turn, they retaliated agains tthe RN in the Baltic - not that much of a damage though.

Allied turn - Allied airpower based in Norway and carriers attack Copenhagen, british army lands and kill the defending axis minor army, liberating the country!

NZ cruiser attacks and sinks the str 1 jap amphib that survived last turn.

China bracing for the inevitable.

Russia continue the buildup - front line intact for now.

Game 1 - Colin Axis

RN retreats from the Baltic, no spotting available, i have no ideea what he operated (or not) in the area.

Partisans continue to pop in russia - this time they liberate Leningrad :)

Russia continues to build/upgrade units in preparation for the inevitable Axis onslaught - Russia is making around 450 mpps per turn (ofc with the convoy from UK).

India - raining cats and dogs.

China - don't really wanna talk about it :P We just throw corps in front of the advancing japanese in order to slow down their advance.

USA is making lots of cash thanks to its high IT level - they bought A LOT of units, waiting for a proper deployment now.

Game 1 - Colin Axis

Germans get going in Russia taking Gorki and destroying two Russian armies (fully upgraded) dug in behind the city with alarming (for him, a tribute to German experience) lack of German casualties despite the mud. We take back Leningrad from those pesky partisans and generally clean up our part of Russia plus get the Finns back into the game.

Japanese take China out of the game. Massive US airforce deployment in support of UK in India. Lets see how they like hand-to-hand in a Monsoon :-) Japanese paradrop takes a minor Indian coastal city.

Its quiet though, far too quiet. Western Allies clearly plotting trouble and a lone Japanese amphibious force is destroyed off Oz.

Colin attacks in the northern part of Russia, I decided to go for the southern part :P

Red troops from Rostow area ordered to move forward.

Otherwise, calm, xcept for a declaration of war by USA against Germany (strangely, they were at peace).

Rain prevents me to use my air assets in India, only colin has this privilege, during his turn :)

China finally dead.

Could be the big clash in Russia - heavy armour moves forwards on two flanks. But weather may limit the action.

Japanese destroy a British Indian army and bring forwards more troops, plus IJN menaces Bombay. Meanwhile the Imperial accountants start to spend Chinese plunder.

Finally a clear weather turn in India = 1 japanese army badly damaged by USAF and then killed by IW2 Indian corps.

In Russia, red southern task force attacks over the river a german army defending the southern mine and kills it. In the north, there is a massive armoured assault by Colin - Russian tank coming from Kuybishev engages a german Tiger and kills it. Left at 5 str, the red tank will surely be killed next turn and the city captured. From now on, this kind of exchanges favours the allied side.

RN BBs attack Gibraltar harbour.

Allies move A LOT of pieces around the map. This game's gonna be definitely interesting.

The Allies DoW and capture Turkey. Russians attack and capture Odessa.

Due to allied aggression, Romania joins Axis.

In India, USAF maul badly a japanese army and indian corps finishes it off. I can see a pattern here :P

More USAF bombers operated in India. Taking India will be a veeeery costly affair for the Sun-Emperor ^^

RN knock out Gibraltar harbour, allied ships pour in the Med.

In this game, USA is a monster...an air monster mainly for now but the queue is full of armor and infantry :)

Russian troops enter Romania, army covering the Ploiesti oilfield destroyed. Kiew pinged. Russians capture Kuybishev, left undefended by germans. Partisans continue to pop out in various locations.

German tanks spotted northwest of Rostow. Snowy weather.

In India, despite Colin' retreat 1-2 tiles back, the long air arm of Uncle Sam reaches him - 1 spec ops unit killed by USAF. Allied air is carefully trying to stay away from IJN carriers' range, so far no air losses for the Indian air task force.

Russians capture Kiew.

Combined russian-british attacks earn UK the nice country of Bulgaria.

Allies capture Naples and prepare for the assault on Rome (bombarded and pretty much cut off by american corps that landed 1 turn before)

Russian TAC pings a Tiger west of Stalingrad.

In India, 2 armies come out fo the queue; allied airpower attack an empty city in order to force Japs to intercept.

Lots of moves all around the map, around locations not available to the general public :)

Allies air based in Turkey and ground troops coming from Bulgaria destroy the minor lvl 4 fighter in Athens and liberate Greece.

Massive air strike (land based TACs and carriers) kill the Rome defender and US corps knock Italy out of the war for a 450 mpp plunder. German tiger nearby so Rome could be recaptured next turn though.

Belgrad under attack by combined allied and red troops. Russians at the outskirts of Budapest as well.

In the north, russian units coming from the Urals take positions on the river by Kuybishev. Partisans wreak havoc in Russia, they pop out everywhere (3 are alive and doing damage this turn I think).

In India, rather quiet , just the usual intercepts forced by superior allied air, to keep Jap fighters' strength low. First serious encounter between US Pacific fleet and IJN off Ceylon = IJN BB destroyed.

In this game, the USA is well...what USA was IRL ^^ Monstrous fleet and air assets, ability to deploy fast almost everywhere and a huge mpp base now (almost 750 mpps per turn). And it is spring '43.

Its been frustrating - despite the Allied gains the German army and airforce are experienced, high tech and undefeated. But I expected a turn of flying weather in Russia from late autumn until late April and didn't get it which allowed him to get deep into Europe without a strong counter. I should have deployed against the W Allies but its hard to judge these things. I suspect I'll still lose but it would have inflicted a reverse or two.

Axis liberate Italy though.

Expecting the german counterattack on Rome, the allies carefully placed additional airpower in the peninsula and employed a new US carrier which previously bombarded Gibraltar in order to make its way in the med. The result, german tiger near Rome killed by surface ships , TACs and carriers, german corps in Rome (which had liberated Italy last turn) is killed and Italy surrenders again. Allies reach the river in northern Italy.

In S-E Europe, Yugoslavia is liberated and Hungary surrenders to USSR.

Russian defend the line Kiew-central russian mine and Rostow-Stalingrad-Kuybishew.

Red airforce upgraded to lvl 4.

Germans show several experienced heavy tanks near Harkow - counterattack expected.

In India, jap paradrop on Ceylon fails due to the presence of canadian bomber. Allies continue to force intercepts but detect a massive air armada north and west of Burma. Indian troops retreat a tile.

Russian and US production queue contain 6-7 units each, UK's only 3 (UK needs lots of cash to repair).

USA gains 660 mpps (lots transferred to UK)

UK 300 and Russia 450+.

The mpp differential shifted clearly towards the Allies, the only german strength now lies in their tanks, TACs and fighters. But they are needed on way too many fronts now ^^

Last turn, German mounted a powerful counter towards Rostow (the obvious choice for a counter in order to separate the 2 main russian theatres) - killed various red infantry and the HQ in the city and occupied it :(

In return, red armour coming from Stalingrad attack and destroy a HQ in Voronezh and paratrooper seize the city. Army destroyed near the russian mine; german paratrooper killed near Rostow, UK allied minor corps and a british army transported from Greece to the fortification behind Rostow (Rostow port still russian).

Meanwhile in Europe, Russians capture Vienna. Red and allied forces shoot towards Berlin/Munich. British army coming from Oslo land and destroy Hamburg lvl 4 fighter (str 5) defender and another amphib (US corps) coming from England seize the city.

In the Med, carriers kill the bomber camped in Marseille. Malta bomber somehow suicided - I think I forgot to count the german intercepts still available :(

In India, Allies kill a Jap TAC (I think).

Germans kill some infantry near Rostow and the russian tank defending the mine east of Kiew as well as a red tank near Kursk. German TAC destroyed by a red fighter intercept.

Retaliation is terrible - 3 Tigers killed, 1 TAC killed, 11 str TAC damaged to strength 1, russians retake Moscow, Kursk. Rostow retaken by red army, several armies and corps leave their positions near Stalingrad and march west. UK minor corps operated to cover Sevastopol area, used as an air base. Partisans pop near Minsk.

Russian armour coming from Belgrad area kill a HQ near Munich. Breslau captured by commies.

UK minor troops capture Marseilles, liberating Vichy. Barcelona captured via amphib landing.

Berlin under attack by english troops landing at hamburg.

D-Day begins! American troops led by HQ Bradley and supported by USN carriers capture Brest. Americans have 2 armies, corps and 2 armour in western France, bordering Paris.

Ceylon - USN carriers maul badly the stranded jap paratrooper.

USA don't bother anymore to send ground troops anywhere. 4 armies, corps and tank stationed in the homeland, ready to repel any invasion :P

Last push by the remaining german troops in Russia is aimed at Odessa - germans manage to kill some infantry and reconquer the mine east of Kiew.

In return, the Allies unleash hell from the air and together with strong russian armour, manage to capture Berlin and Munich! Germany surrenders to USA for 1059 mpps :)

Simultaneously, Allies liberate France, Portugal and Benelux.

The only remaining axis powers are Japan and ... Finland :)

And it is only 1943, so plenty of time for the Allies to defeat Japan.