Panzer V against any US tank

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attack them with 2-3 tanks a time (preferably 76mm equipped). Force them to get closer to your forces. Flank them, make them expose their thin sides. Use artillery to cripple/imobbilize them. Generally you should never go H2H with one of these. Its sure death 9/10 of times.

There may not be anything that can penetrate the Panther upper front hull in the game right now.

The turret and lower hull should be vulnerable to at least some degree to the US 76mm (especially HVAP rounds on the M10 "late") and the Sherman 105 HEAT rounds.

From my 20+ battle experience, US tanks get "owned"by German Panzer V's. Is there an effective counter against Panzer V's?

cheers,

SR

Panthers are fine tanks, but they can be knocked out by a variety of weapons. The Shermans really aren't the best weapon for dealing with Panthers. I had an experimental scenario where about 15-20 Panthers would attack with plenty of artillery and infantry support. The attack would run out of steam but only if there was a long line of M10s in good positions. The M10 can kill Panthers as the Panthers manoeuver at pretty impressive ranges. Then artillery and Sherman fire can immobilize a few more. Finishing off the surviving Panthers in the objective village was a multistage process:

1) artillery and mortar fire and small infantry attacks to clear out supporting infantry

2) get spotters up to spot every Panther

3) keep up mortar and MG fire and targetting small arms to keep Panther crews from spotting and to keep them from re-crewing abandoned Panthers

4) Hunt down surviving Panthers with bazookas and 57mm AT and M10s and even Shermans

the worst thing to attack them with is a tank.

With all due deference Magpie Oz, the worst thing to attack a Panther with is probably a bag of vegetable crudités. (That’s for both the Panzerkampfwagen and the four legged critter with the teeth)

With all due deference Magpie Oz, the worst thing to attack a Panther with is probably a bag of vegetable crudités. (That’s for both the Panzerkampfwagen and the four legged critter with the teeth)

and they are modelled in the game ........ where ?

i had both my panthers knocked out from a long distance by M10's and Shermans with 76mm guns in the demo... twice...

both times were against a human tho, but still... he more or less supressed me with extreme amounts of fire and then took potshots with his "heavies" until he got a penetration...

and they are modelled in the game ........ where ?

As deiseltaylor noted, the crudités are in certain crates. As for the panthers, well, the tracked kind are relatively easy to spot by following the burning vehicles – you can tell the difference between which big cat has been lighting up the green painted vehicles by their tracks, if you find bits of gearbox next to the spoor – t’was a Panther.

However the four legged panther is harder to discern. Sometimes, if the action is taking place in the dark you can see the gleam of their eyes in dense woodland as they reflect the tracer and flames. During daylight rumbles, if you quickly toggle from full wood down to stumps, you can sense that something has just been there! Unnerving at times, sometimes I leave it at full tree cover just to stop this brooding feeling of malevolence:eek:

i had both my panthers knocked out from a long distance by M10's and Shermans with 76mm guns in the demo... twice...

both times were against a human tho, but still... he more or less supressed me with extreme amounts of fire and then took potshots with his "heavies" until he got a penetration...

Yep. It is important to keep Panthers from spotting. Apparently lots of artillery or shots bouncing off or MG fire or small arms or mortars are more helpful than they look since they keep the Panthers from spotting the guns that are likely to knock them out.

I think my favorite Panther massacre happened when the lead Panther fired smoke and backed up after a hit. the following 2 Panthers couldn't see past the first one's smoke and were knocked by M10 shots aimed at the first one as they turned to bypass the smokey one. I think the smokey one got away or just got immobilized.

From my 20+ battle experience, US tanks get "owned"by German Panzer V's. Is there an effective counter against Panzer V's?

Yeah Panthers are great I love having them on my side when I'm playing the Germans.

So far I have had luck with 76 Shermans, night and luck:). I had one 76 Sherman creep up a wood line in the dark supported by another off to the side. They got a head of their infantry support and surprised a German squad and Panther. Yikes!.

The first Sherman when right after the Panther while the .50 cal surprised its infantry support. The Panther spotted the supporting Sherman first so took a shot at it (right into a tree). The supporting Sherman was busy messing up a half track and never saw the Panther. That first Sherman just blasted away and by the time the Panther changed its mind to go after it the Panther had a few too many holes in it and the crew bailed. Unfortunately for the Shermans where there is one Panther there are usually more... Even though I had them reverse out of there the other Panther killed both of them less than one minute latter.

It is important to not be seen by the Panther. I like to use the superior mobility of the Sherman to get in close to the Panther, and around to the flanks and rear. It is not as difficult as you might think. If you send a Sherman on either side of the Panther at full speed, you may well lose one of them, but the other will be able to get around to the side or rear and knock the bugger out. I do this all the time, and it works 65% of the time. Having more tanks is vital, and the cheap US tanks are perfect. Even the Stuart can kill a Panther from the rear, or at least make the crew bail. Speed and Spotting are the keys to killing all German armor.