New file at the Repository: Spam and Jam (2011-06-17)

Thanks for playing runesonn. It is do-able, but definitely one tough cookie. It favors the defenders. A minor victory would be a great achievement. Those US troops don`t like leaving their posts.

Plenty of cohesive fire needed. Or -synergy- as Mark H Walker would say. Now there is a blast from the past. His CMBB strategy guide was a great read. I wonder how much of it is relevant on the CM X2 engine? Most of it probably. A lot of the tactical stuff I guess.

Now where did I put that book......

Thanks for sharing. It is a nice scenario. It will be very interesting to give it a go against a human attacker.

ACHTUNG SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

As you see I managed to get the mission accomplished with only nine casualties. Perhaps too much info is given away on the designer notes. I set up an ambush for the expected Shermans and the poor tankers never got a chance to survive against the german wild cats.

CMNormandy2011-06-1920-10-52-33.jpg

As shown on the next images the US defenders surrendered before I could get to the second bridge. That Panther on the bridge is my most avanced unit.

CMNormandy2011-06-1920-10-44-10.jpg

CMNormandy2011-06-1920-11-13-43.jpg

There's a sky scrapper that conveniently has over-watch over the majority of the Allied side of the map. Instead of having one panther you conveniently have two in case you lose one( I lost neither.) Plus a stug and a host of mg 42 teams, anti inf guns and reinforcements. And a Bomber that conveniently comes available later(didn't use). the Allied did hold out as long as they could before they surrendered. I saw alot of crack etc in the AAR, but the Micheal jordan/scottie pipen(panthers) combo was too much. I lost the stug because basically he was expendable. The panthers had kills in the 40s. the infantry were spotters only pretty much. If you are sound tactically the map is pretty easy.

___

Making it harder

Another AT gun by 2nd bridge (canal bridge) on high ground that gives over-watch all the way to the T-intersection (crossroads). The only way the Germans can get LOS sight of it is to capture that first house by the first bridge or you make high ground on the far end of that map that you have to blow bocage to get to. have allied there to defend that are crack because they know that's their highly sensitive spot. If you do that increase the time :)

Get rid of a panther maybe a panther and 2 stugs or a panther /stug combo , and another stug as reinforcement later.. nuke the bomber. give points to the allied for german kills.that would make the map alot more challenging. Challenging equates to fun to me. As the map is now, its still fun. But a different kind of fun. A good map for a person to cut your teeth IMO once you have the basic fundamentals of the game. Challenging not so much.

Well, that [tough] cookie was crumbled lol.

Thanks for the advice chaps. Yes, maybe too much intel in the briefing.

Personally when I playtested, I occasionally struggled. Especially the last run out: when two large mortar shells (on the same turn) decide to haphazardly drop into the back of your two trucks that happens to be carrying your entire 2nd Platoon, you know its not gonna be your day!

I put it down to patience being key for me a lot of the time. Many scenarios dictate a very speedy advance (which brings trouble) due to time restrictions, and I`ve probably got myself into a rhythm and end up being a little careless.

Coming over from CMSF maybe those marines have given me too much swagger too! Lol.

Loving the suggestions btw.....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this very nice scenario.

ACHTUNG Spoiler!

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

+

I moved the cats as far away as possible around the intersection on the left to wait for any arriving tanks coming from the north, but also planned to use the cats for crossfire support, while infantry attacks the intercunction.

The surprise for the Shermans worked well, with only one escaping, and i already thought the rest would be a walk in the park. But that was not the case!

I approached the bridge in the woods on the right. Everything looked nice, i carefully moved one group after but suddenly mortar fire rained down on a group before the minute was over, this whole group was gone.

The 2nd evil surprise was, when i tried to capture one house at the T-junction: suddenly the group was panicking and i didn't understand why. Later i discovered, that there were good shooting corridors from the other side of the river torwards the houses.

After that was cleared at the cost of a shakened platoon, the next surprise was the street, that led to the bridge: that it was covered well from the other side.

I really like the nice map. Intelligent, tactically challenging with several options and a good placement of AI-units.

What also worked very well for me, was the felt time pressure: not too much, demanding gamey, rushing and unhealthy tactics but also not too much time with endless time to liquidate one unit after the other.

I guess this was my 8th scenario i played in CMBN and so far it is my favourite.

I achieved a total victory 10 minutes before end by conquering the building at the first bridge but didn't feel i deserved it (i'm still in the learning phase of CMBN). So the victory levels may be a bit to generously?

With only one Panther i think it would have been be a real hard nut and even without the JPzIV and only one Panther it should be a challenge even for very experienced CMBN-players.