Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Voodoo and CM2

CM uses RAVE on the Mac and DirectX on the PC. There is no support for 3dfx's API, GLIDE, on either platform. Therefore the quality and performance of the RAVE or DirectX drivers will be your primary concern.

The Voodoos should work with CM, though depending on which model and driver you have you may not see all of the effects that CM can produce.

Edit - Uh... I didn't look close enough at the question. Support for Voodoo 1 & 2 series boards has supposedly been dropped according to some of the magazine articles on CM2 (look in the main forum for links to some of the online versions). This may be due to the minimum resolution that CM2 will use which is 800x600 (or possibly 832x624 on the Mac). 8Mb of VRAM is going to be considered the minimum so 4Mb/6Mb Voodoos (1 series ?) will definitely be out. As for the 2 series I'm not sure how they'll perform. They usually have somewhere between 8 to 12Mb, but the way they work may not meet CM2's minimum requirements.

Voodoo 3/4/5 series boards should work, but due to the lack of future driver support there may be problems that won't have solutions.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I my personal opinion, you'd do yourself a big favor by getting an Nvidia card of some sort. Preferably a GeForce, but a TNT2 will still work fine.

Since 3Dfx is no more, it would be wise to dump any of their products in favor of a card that is made by a company that still exists. smile.gif

For example, I'm running a 64MB Geforce 2 GTS and my display still slugs around on huge maps with everything in hi-res. I'm trying to play "Berlin-The Final Battle" and my display jumps around something aweful. I'm running a 1.2GHz Athlon too BTW.