No African American GIs?

Enough with this already. BFC isnt trying to make some PC civil rights statement or have you idiots stirring up a debate that has absolutely nothing to do with this or any other BFC game. The color of someones skin has nothing to do with ability on a real or on a virtual battlefield. Never has and never will. So if you are really bothered by the color of the troops then you may mod away. You want Max Klinger running around the map in pink chiffon, mod away. You want BFC to incorporate troops of color, play CMSF.

"In Defense of Internment: The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror is a 2004 book written by conservative American political commentator Michelle Malkin. Malkin defends the United States government's internment of Japanese Americans in relocation camps during World War II and racial profiling of Arabs during the post-2001 War on Terror. The book's message has been condemned by Japanese American groups and civil rights advocates. Its scholarship has been criticized by academics."

I first read this book a few years ago, and I was impressed by Malkin's arguments and evidence. She provided sources for the historical information she cited, and the authors of the criticisms of her work I read couldn't be bothered.

"In Defense of Internment: The Case for 'Racial Profiling' in World War II and the War on Terror is a 2004......

This thread has nothing to do with internment, but rather the service of African Americans in the US Army in WW2.

I was wondering as well why it was that Afro-Americans served in segregated units but native Americans served in integrated units?

This thread has nothing to do with internment, but rather the service of African Americans in the US Army in WW2.

I was wondering as well why it was that Afro-Americans served in segregated units but native Americans served in integrated units?

It has to do with subtle differences in the contemporary historical American definition of racism. Blacks were originally brought to America as slaves and were subsequently regarded as lesser versions of humanity to be kept separated from whites, whereas native Americans were seen as some sort of aboriginal noble warriors, deserving of some respect, and who were traditionally integrated into standing armies as scouts and pickets because of their skills and warrior traditions.

It has to do with subtle differences in the contemporary historical American definition of racism. Blacks were originally brought to America as slaves and were subsequently regarded as lesser versions of humanity to be kept separated from whites, whereas native Americans were seen as some sort of aboriginal noble warriors, deserving of some respect, and who were traditionally integrated into standing armies as scouts and pickets because of their skills and warrior traditions.

Ok that is logical.

So the segregation extended mainly from the "Jim Crow Laws" ?

Is it the legacy of these laws that the US has been particularly outspoken on the race issue and especially so in regards of apartheid in South Africa?

Ok that is logical.

So the segregation extended mainly from the "Jim Crow Laws" ?

Is it the legacy of these laws that the US has been particularly outspoken on the race issue and especially so in regards of apartheid in South Africa?

Sort of; it's more like someone saying "I fixed my halitosis, why can't you do the same?", while eating a limburger sandwich.

Actually this thread started as a request to Mod non-white faces on the US troops in the Combat Mission Normandy game.

These things always morph into an indictment of US racial mores sooner or later.

Childress and Splinty - if you want to compare the US behavior against its own citizens to that of non-democratic states like wartime Japan, by all means go ahead. I always thought the US prided itself on standing head and shoulders above such fascist dictatorships. I deliberately did not make comparisons since there are no equivalencies. But I do hold our nation, the USA, to a higher standard than I do other countries, if for no other reason that this is what we are told we are: superior in belief and in conduct. And in my opinion, the nation's conduct against its Japanese American citizens in that era was appalling.

The argument that Japan treated other races worse is a red herring that serves no purpose other than to distract Americans from the fact that their nation was not living up to its own vaunted standards at the time. America could have done better, but failed to do so, all the while touting itself as the beacon of individual liberty and at the forefront of the fight against arbitrary, tyrannical governments that ran roughshod over their citizens.

In point of fact, numerous wealthy and politically connected Americans personally benefited from closure of Japanese American businesses and the confiscation of their assets, and pressure from these sources was not an insignificant aspect of the anti-Japanese-American sentiment rampant in the US at the time.

Well said.

Well the idea is that we exchange views and information about each other and maybe learn a bit about each other in the process. That includes the bad as well as the good.

No need to be defensive about it, you are more or less amongst friends, especially given the homogeneity of the demographic of the BF forum.