60mm mortar teams out of command?

I'm playing a single mission and I have 3 x 60mm mortar squads setup and ready to fire. I have a platoon leader (2nd platoon) with LOS to the target yet I can only command one of the mortar squads to fire - why would this be the case? Bizarrely I can command the Weapons platoon mortars to fire but I cannot control my own 2nd platoon mortar - yet all three are in the same area.

Edit: Okay, I established that one of the mortar teams was GREEN and needed to be moved closer to the platoon commander. This worked, but there is still something a bit odd about this. Two of the three squads have eye contact with the platoon commander - and one team doesn't - but the team that doesn't is the team that is in the middle of the three. So they *should* have eye contact should they not?

Am I wrong in thinking that they need voice contact, not just eye contact? How else will they adjust fire - hand signals are too easily misunderstood or missed entirely.

Edit:

Nevermind. I was thinking of what I read earlier in the wartime Army manuals on the subject, which specified voice contact between spotter and firing mortar units. The game just wants a working C2 link. Many of those army manuals predate widespread use of handheld radios, by the way, but that's what most units trained on until mid-1944 when the radios started getting issued.

Archived