Best way to fire less mortar rounds??

use the pause command.

Issue your direct fire command then give a 30 sec pause followed by a move order to the same action spot you currently occupy. Also make sure you re-deploy your mortar at the destination location.

This will effectively have your mortars fire for 30 secs instead of the full minute ..

I tend to use target light in direct fire mode. In my experience, they fire only 3-4 rounds on area target per turn in WEGO. On a unit target, they seem to quit once they loose it. The only problem is, that the riflemen also fire, thus increasing the posibility of giving away your position. In this game, I'm now using direct fire more and more. With the strict time limits in some of these scenarios, waiting 5-6 min. is just too much time.

IMO, a mortar firing in direct mode should have the same options that in indirect mode. ie, area fire, line, point.... He should also have the option of duration and intensity that is normally presented to FO's

Not only would I like this for mortars, I'd also like it for HMG's, firing directly of course...sort of a blend of the covered arc and area fire, except you are defining the area to be fired into.

IMO, a mortar firing in direct mode should have the same options that in indirect mode. ie, area fire, line, point.... He should also have the option of duration and intensity that is normally presented to FO's

+1. This would add more flexible control.

correct ... if the manual is right, then they should only use light weapons and no mortars.

If the mortar is deployed, then target light means they just fire the mortar at a low rate of fire. If the mortar is not deployed, they use personal weapons at a low rate of fire. At least that's what I've been seeing.