How to use AT crews?

This morning in a scenario, I had an AT crew that had spent their AP rounds which was all the had. How do I get them to use their Carbines? They just sat around with rifles on their shoulders and watched the battle unfold. Dismount was not available and when I targeted infantry they aimed the gun but of course could not fire. Six perfectly good soldiers, wasted. BTW Mortar crews will fire their weapons.

This morning in a scenario, I had an AT crew that had spent their AP rounds which was all the had. How do I get them to use their Carbines? They just sat around with rifles on their shoulders and watched the battle unfold. Dismount was not available and when I targeted infantry they aimed the gun but of course could not fire. Six perfectly good soldiers, wasted. BTW Mortar crews will fire their weapons.

If there is no chance of resupply, bail them out and use them as infantry if you feel compelled to do so.

IIRC, it's the Bail Out command that gets an AT gun crew to leave the gun, at which point you can use them as normal infantry.

Just be aware that this command is permanent for AT Gun crews; you can't order them back on the gun. In the case at hand, this doesn't matter since you're completely out of AP, but it can matter other times.

If there is no chance of resupply, bail them out and use them as infantry if you feel compelled to do so.

Just a quick question related to this...

If I bail crew from an ATG during a campaign, is the ATG lost from the campaign roster?

I dont mind in single battles, but always reluctant to do it in a campaign..

If I bail crew from an ATG during a campaign, is the ATG lost from the campaign roster?

I don't know. That would be interesting to test.

Also, in regards to this original issue, how far away was the infantry you were trying to target? Maybe it was beyond carbine range?

AFAIK, yes. I had an AT gun crew abandon a working gun on me in 'Devil's Descent', and their gun did not show up anymore in subsequent battles. They carried along some ammo, though, so at least they made decent ammo bearers for the other guns :).

The rest of the gun crew do have jobs to do. They organize, prepare, and handle the ammo. We don't see it in the animation, but they aren't just standing there. Plus, the gun crew doesn't want to call attention to itself by firing their rifles.

There are all sorts of fiddly and or labor intensive task for the rest of the gun crew. For starters you don't keep most of the ammo right be hind the gun-shield. In terms of both historical usage, and gun effectiveness you want the whole crew serving the weapon.

It is not a perfect analogy but their is lot of video of U.S. artillery being fired in the last ten years, and none of the considerable number of crew members look bored.

AFAIK, yes. I had an AT gun crew abandon a working gun on me in 'Devil's Descent', and their gun did not show up anymore in subsequent battles. They carried along some ammo, though, so at least they made decent ammo bearers for the other guns :).

They strange thing is, I had one of my guns knocked out(?) by enemy fire and the crew bailed out. But in the next battle the gun was back.