LOS Issue

Ive been reading these gorums for quite a while now so im sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I was playing the scenario The Crossroads at Monthardrou when one of my tanks got taken out by an AT gun even though trees were clearly blocking its view.

I am just wondering if any one else has experienced this, and if its a know problem.

Here are 2 screens of what i experienced.

Image with nearby tree trunks only enabled.

CMBNwotrees.jpg

Image with tress on. There is no LOS.

CMBNwithtress.jpg

I was puzzled about that in a different scenario too. If I recall correctly BFC has explained that tree leaves are not as dense in game terms as they seem to be graphically on your monitor to you. It has to do with computer limitations on displaying the tree foliage realistically. So while you may not be able to see the enemy, your pixeltruppen evidently can, through gaps in the foliage that you do not know about.

An interesting way of testing this is to take one of your units and give them a movement order to the position of the ATG (and a face order if necessary), then select the end point and use the target tool from there to see what the ATG could see. Its not an infallibe method because of unit heights, but it works pretty well most of the time.

Do I need to remind you to cancel the move order afterwards?

The more interesting thing that I'm noticing is that the barrel, if I follow it correctly, is pointing through and therefore, shooting through the building.

Line of sight is not the same as line of fire. The gun may be pointed at the building but that does not mean it is going to be targeted there - it can be swiveled around if the player chooses one of those targets in the foliage. The crew can certainly see in directions other than what the gun is pointing at.

The other possibility is that the image portrays a view with extreme zoom. That foreshortens the foreground and it is possible that when you zoom out, the building will be more off to the side. But either way, you are correct that the gun is not pointing directly at either of the targets of interest.

The more interesting thing that I'm noticing is that the barrel, if I follow it correctly, is pointing through and therefore, shooting through the building.

It is shooting through the building, just not at the tank. It is shooting at the infantry to the right. Either way it's shooting through the building. I noticed this as i was observing it from different abgles.