Carbide Carbide Scenario

**** SPOILERS ****

OK now I see.... Well as the scenario currently stands I don't think points wise it can be won as the Americans. Obviously for me I feel I won as I exited 4 Shermans and I think 8 half tracks and numerous men. The Germans lost all their armour and half tracks and had one AT gun left. They held two bridges and I held the other. The Germans got 200 points for the bridges and I got 200 for my bridge so that is OK. But the Germans got 579 points for destroying my kit and I got 79 points for theirs. So on that basis the Germans won a tactical victory which for me does not represent what I was told to do in the briefing I.e. Exit forces and hold one bridge. So what would the Americans have to done exactly to have scored enough points via the games system to be shown as winning?

The scenario is great fun but I think it might need tweaking for the victory points to better show success for the American player.

Has anyone playing as Americans managed to be shown as the winner via the end screen victory points? Just interested in if my perception of success can be matched by the victory screen.

If I wanted to show points success I would have been better to keep my forces on map and try and take the other two bridges and wipe out what was left of the Germans rather than exiting my forces.

Anyway if George is watching (I guess he might be busy with next module) can you tweak the design to give the Americans more points to better show a success for them?

BTW no unit is shown on their unit as must having to exit, so I just think this exiting Victory condition does not really work in the scenario scoring for this one?

Hi H Apologies for the delay in responding. Bit hectic at my end right now.

Glad you enjoyed the scenario. I've been reading your comments about the scoring with interest. I've not got the game to hand so I'm working from memory. From recall the bridges thing should work out. As it sounds it did for you. Exiting units gets you points - this you did. However what it lloks like is that any units you did not exit count as casualties. I had thought I'd given a bonus to the US to make up for this i.e. I give you the bonus for equal to that the Germans get for KOing your units. That way any you exit give you points whilst the bonus covers the points for units you don't exit. The German still get points for stuff they kill. I suspect the bonus for the US is not in this.

I'll double check when I get in. It's awlays a bit of a rush getting these scenarios so wee erros like this sometimes creep in. It's an easy fix so I'll check it out and upload to the rerpository.

Thanks again for playing it out and you have proven that it is winnable by the US (in spirit - least unitl I amend the points then it will be winnable. End of).

Cheery!

George

NP George as long as you are aware of it and can correct it.

I can let you access the game files as they are all on drop box so you can see for your self. I am sure James will let you have his Pwd if need be.

I will type you an AAR at some stage as I have a bit of time on my hands. A tough game for the Americans but with some luck it can be won IMO, not easy and very easy to muck up totally....

NP George as long as you are aware of it and can correct it.

I can let you access the game files as they are all on drop box so you can see for your self. I am sure James will let you have his Pwd if need be.

I will type you an AAR at some stage as I have a bit of time on my hands. A tough game for the Americans but with some luck it can be won IMO, not easy and very easy to muck up totally....

Hi H

Yeah that would be useful. You still got the blowtorch address? If not just PM me and I'll send you my email address for the dropbox set-up.

Hope all well with you?

Cheery!

George

• 1 month later...

Hi George,

Carbide Carbide redux brought me back to the 80 shots I have made during the original scenario battle. The ground is very well depicted and tactically speaking is full of possibility for either side.

What to say about the German A.I I fought against. Nothing, but praise. Once again, you did use some clever emplacement to surprise me. Knowing you, I knew something was there. I think of the PZ IV’s and the Stug III. But the only way to be sure was to go for them.

At the end I got a draw and the losses were balances for the men, the tanks and the AVL.

I did not go farther than the east and central bridges objectives being taken.

Playing as usual RT, I was handicapped playing at the same time the forces committed to the West bridge objective. For that reason they were not brought farther than the first bend along the road leading to the bridge. That was not a good thing to do, since the left forces and the ones on the right were fighting without being able to give each other, mutual covering fire and or suppressive fire.

Looking at the German forces at the end of the game I was surprised once more not thinking at all that I would have found them where they were.

I liked it a lot and that was the same for Huzzar redux. Beautiful map, good setting, credible OOB and clever A.I plans.

Waiting for the next one George.

“Amicalement” Greg