Using Dropbox and SyncToy for PBEM games

This message is long and picture heavy - I had to split it between four messages.

I wanted to share my experience using Drop Box for playing CM PBEM games. The original idea to use Dropbox came from the friend that introduced me to CM games - Stephen. We have refined it and been using it with CMBB for a while now. Recently we worked out how to do it with CMBN and I have been using that method with two people I met here on this forum. So far they are happy so I thought I would share how I have it all setup.

<disclaimer><shamless_plug altruism="on aswell">

Let me start by saying I don't work for Dropbox I'm just happy using their service. I only use their free service but they have some interesting pay for features as well. Before going further I will say that while anyone can sign up for Dropbox being invited nets both the invitee and the inviter extra free storage space. So, if you are interested in trying this out between friends PM me your email and I'll invite you and you can invite your opponent and you and your friend will net 2.5Gb of free storage (250Mb per invite/invitation). Other people who are using Dropbox already, or sign up, post to this thread if you are willing to invite people and we can spread the additional storage space around a bit. Even with the bigger files in CMBN a few Gb is enough.

</shamless_plug></disclaimer>

The Problem (s):

1) The first problem I wanted to solve was my habit of sending Stephen the wrong turn file. I don't do it often but when you only get to play one turn per day it sucks to open the email only to find yesterday's turn again.

2) I don't want to wait for files to upload / download. When I am done playing I want to press a button and walk away.

The solution:

Use Dropbox to share files between players. Use a synchronization tool to push and pull files between the game and Dropbox. Now that I have this all setup when I log into my computer to do my normal activities (not just CM:-) any new turn files immediately start to download. When I check my mail or get a IM from one of my CM opponents I can just press the "sync games" button on my desktop and start CM. Once I have played and saved my turn I can press the sync button again and walk away from the computer (well I don't have to walk away but I can). As long as I don't turn it off the file will be copied up to drop box for my opponent.

To make all this work I use two programs Dropbox: http://www.dropbox.com and SyncToy: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52. I am sure there are other file sharing services that will work and there certainly are other folder synchronizing tools so feel free to swap your favourite tool into the mix.

Next the beginning of the how to instructions...

OK here are the How to instructions:

Assuming you and your opponent already have your Dropbox accounts setup and running here are the instructions on how to set it up to share turns:

1) From your Drop box home page press the "New folder" button and give the folder a name. You can see some iterations of folder names in my account but I think the one I will be sticking with is to use a name of the form "CM Turns JvsI for Joe" where 'J' is my opponents initial 'I' is mine and 'Joe' is my opponent's name.

DBStep01CreateFolders.jpg

DBStep02GofFolders.jpg

2) Press the "Share a folder" button and pick "I'd like to share an existing folder" option. Oh look at that you can skip step 1 and just create the new folder here. I'll try to remember that for next time. Press Next

DBStep03ShareExistingFolder.jpg

3) Pick the folder to share. Press Next

DBStep04PickTheFolder.jpg

4) Invite Joe to share this folder (this is the part that lets Joe and only Joe see his turns).

DBStep05InviteJow.jpg

5) Do the same for another folder named "CM Turns JvsI for Ian".

By creating folders with the names "for Joe" and "for Ian" it is clear to each player what do do with those folders. On Joe's machine he copies turn files "for Joe" into his "Incoming Email" folder and he copies turn files in his "Outgoing Email" folder into the "for Ian" shared folder.

Synchronizing The Files

Now if you are like me and you don't trust yourself to copy the right file to the right place - don't. You get the computer to do that tedious work for you by using SyncToy. After downloading and installing SyncToy you can hook up your shared turn folders to your incoming and outgoing email folders thusly:

6) Start SyncToy and press the "Create New Folder Pair" button. Pick your CM "Incoming Email" folder on the left and your Dropbox directory "for <yourname>" on the right.

STStep01ChooseDirs.jpg

7) Pick Synchronize. This will mean your files in the "Incoming Email" folder will always be in sync with your Dropbox folder. Do not worry about everyone seeing everyone else's turns if you play more then one person at at time we cover that in the next few steps.

STStep02Synchonize.jpg

8) Give the folder pair a sensible name. I create mine like this "Turns<opp_name>From" and "Turns<opp_name>For". That way the list of folder pairs is easy to read and each set of folder pairs are listed together.

STStep03GiveName.jpg

STStep04NewFilePair.jpg

9) Click on the "Change options..." link to control what gets copied between the folders. Remember we don't really need or want Joe to see turns for Bill if we are playing more than one person. Create a file pattern that is unique to battles with Joe. For example you can have two quick battles and one scenario going with Joe and as long as you name them with JoeVsIan in the name you can use the pattern "*JoeVsIan*". And if your games with bill all have BillVsIan in their names Joe will not see those turns. I often Zip up turns for games that are over so I also add an exclusion pattern so .zip files don't get copied and waste time an space.

STStep05SetOptions.jpg

All setup now

STStep06Configured.jpg

Just a couple more things to make your life easier.

10) Create a short cut on your desk top so when you are done playing you can get SyncToy to copy the turns to the Dropbox folder. SyncToy has a command line that allows you to sync a folder pair by name or you can use -R to sync them all. I have found that SyncToy is quite quick if there is no work to do so I just use the -R option so I don't sync the wrong game by accident. Remember I am prone to have accidents like that and I'm doing all this work to avoid them.

STStep07SyncTheFolders.jpg

11) You can do one better than manually syncing and use Windows Task scheduler to trigger SyncToy on a few events. I have mine set to trigger when I unlock my screen saver and when I log onto the Internet. That way I don't even have to press the short cut link to get new turns from my opponents. Every time I sit down to my computer it makes sure to sync my Dropbox folders with my game folders automatically. I cannot figure out how to make it auto trigger when new files show up in Dropbox or when a new file appears on a folder but I think there are some synchronizing tools that support that - I could not find a free one though.

STStep08ScheduleTheFieSync.jpg

There you have it. I have been using this method for several weeks now and for four PBEM games and with three other people. I am not sure if my opponents are using SyncToy or not but we all are using Dropbox.

Enjoy,

Ian

I really wish we could customize the Incoming/Outgoing folders in CMBN. It would be great to just point these at folders on Dropbox, then all of the extra steps would be unnecessary.

That was our original thought as well but that actually will not work well unless you only play with one other opponent. We quickly realized that if we could do it that way then every opponent would see everyone else's turns.

I am prototyping a little Java app like SyncToy but specifically for Combat Mission games. Should Supports two-player and Co-op (multiple players per side). Runs on PC and Mac.

PM me if you are interested in giving it a try, I should have a beta available by next week.

Interesting - I thought about rolling my own but decided that syncing folders must have lots of tools to choose from. Sounds like you are targeting more then just one on one play. For me playing several one on one games what will your App offer that a simple sync tool would not? I'm curious.

The main intent is to make multiplayer/co-op work better by sending intermediate .bts save games between allied players as well as email .ema files between sides.

For one-on-one there will not be a huge advantage over most sync tools, but it should have some nice features that make it easier to setup and track games.

It will allow multiple configurations to be managed at once, such as Demo and Retail version or patched vs. unpatched installs as well the different names you play under.

Other features:

• one click setup of the filters needed to sync the correct files from your CM folders to Dropbox
  • a simple GUI representing all the games you are playing and if you have a turn pending.
  • a timer feature that will change the icon if you have exceeded a given amount of time 'holding onto' the turn.
  • optionally store contact info for all the players in the game, and perhaps arbitrary info like a link to the forum topic for the battle or club forum.
  • keep a log of files exchanged and short messages between players
  • optionally keep a history folder updated with all exchanged files

<snip>

Other features:

• one click setup of the filters needed to sync the correct files from your CM folders to Dropbox
  • a simple GUI representing all the games you are playing and if you have a turn pending.
  • a timer feature that will change the icon if you have exceeded a given amount of time 'holding onto' the turn.
  • optionally store contact info for all the players in the game, and perhaps arbitrary info like a link to the forum topic for the battle or club forum.
  • keep a log of files exchanged and short messages between players
  • optionally keep a history folder updated with all exchanged files

I am interested in items 1, 2, 5 and 6 on that list in particular. Let me know if I can help you test anything. I am also an experienced Java programmer so you can send me stuff to try out that is only half baked if you want (I don't need no stink'n install program:-).

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this.

GaJ basically forced me to use this to play our game, but once you are used to it, Dropbox is a great tool!

It automatically emails your game file and advises your opponent and a pop up box appears on your desktop when the return file comes back ready to play.

Big thumbs up from me. :)

GaJ has almost finalised a CMBN Helper program which tidies up your games AND can use Drop Box. : )

I have been one of those testing it for the last few weeks. I do have Dropbox but have not been using it for games. Possibly because I like to chat to opponents and think Dbox might take some of that away.!

Anyway the build up of giles ... over a hundered has been stopped and I now scroll a very reduced list!.

After using dropbox for many games the one problem I was having was figuring out whose turn it is to play (I have to look at turn files in the Output and Input directories). So, I wrote a program to do that for me "Whose Turn Is It?". Whose Turn Is It does not manage turn files but just tells you, for each game you are playing if you are waiting for turns to be sent back or if you owe turns to your opponent.

I was ready to let everyone play with it but I sent it to two friends first and it turns out that while they are using dropbox they are *not* using Sync Toy (or any other tool) to automatically copy files. They are still manually copying files. The feedback I got was there is no point in using "Whose Turn Is It?" without doing file management. So, I guess I have work to do still.

I will start a new thread once I get there.

I put an empty file in the folder named 'even turns are for me, uneven for him.txt'.

That solved the problem for me.

Excellent idea!

But I went and wrote an app so I'm good now:-)

I can set a threshold (default to 24hours) and the tool can tell me which turns I am overdue on playing and which ones I am really late with. Which helps me play the oldest turns first. Plus, I am working on a notes field so I can keep track of what pw I am using for which game and make notes for use in AARs as I play. So, I am getting a bit more value than just whose turn it is.