Sound Question

Is it possible to replace the video intoduction music wave file with a different wave file that will actually get played ?

The CMBO program doesn't seem to care if wave file 00005010 is in the wave folder or not. I've tried substituting different files for the original but the BTS theme seems to get played regardless. Do files that take the place of the original 00005010 have to have any particular characteristics (length, size, frequency, breakfast) for the program to recognize them, or is the sound already embedded in the video ?

I've already asked this question on the regular board and I apologise for asking it again here. The question came up because CMMOS 3.02 has sound-file switching capability, and the video intro seemed the easiest thing to test first (I now realize that it is probably the hardest).

Thanks, Ed. Now my next question is, I have some wave files that are in Wave format. How can I tell what kind of characteristics a sound file has, how many bits, what sample rate, and how many channels assuming they are even in stereo ? [This is the part of my sound cards that I've always studiously ignored ].

I had to get a simple converter just to make these (originally) MP3 files into Wave files. I've noticed there are editors. Any recommendations on what, if anything, I can use if I don't want to make a life's career out of this ? If I start poking around in the notes to my sound card (I think I saw something that looks like a mixer) will I be able to make the necessary changes ?

Under Windows 9x/ME you could right-click on the file in Explorer (file manager or desktop) and go to Properties for the file. One of the tabs would detail the sound file's characteristics (mono/stereo, bit depth, sampling rate, etc.). Windows 2000/XP doesn't show this information in the file's property page. Instead you'll have to open it up with some WAV player or editor and check out the properties that way.

Uh... I was just checking and for some reason I don't see this info in my copy of Win98SE. I don't know if this info gets truncated with any MP3/WAV players or anti-virus programs loaded up. This may be an affect of what the WAV files are associated with for playback.

Most of the sounds in CMBO are 16 bit, 44.1kHz mono. The ambient sounds and the intro sound (which I guess plays when the QuickTime movie is deselected and/or finished) are similar except they're often stereo (though I don't know if all of them are that way).

[ March 13, 2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks. I run on Windows 2000 and now feel less concerned that I'm having trouble finding out this kind of information.

Two more questions while I've got your attention. Can you recommend an editor for sound (preferably freeware)? And how would I go about changing the wav files that I want to use as substitutes for 00005010 into the format that the CMBO program will read ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Windows 2000/XP doesn't show this information in the file's property page. Instead you'll have to open it up with some WAV player or editor and check out the properties that way.

Inspired by all of this I went back and took another look. For some reason, in my version of Windows 2000 if I poke around inside the properties page, I eventually come up with a Summary tab, and that lists things like average data rate (whatever that is), sampling rate, bits, and channels, as well as a format description that looked important and that I didn't understand at all.

So, further inspired, I took a look at my small collection of potential intro video music substitutes. Oddly enough, my Lilli Marleen was in exactly the right format, and my Panzerlied was almost in the right format (one channel mono instead of two channel stereo). So I plugged in Lilli Marleen, and of course, nothing happened. It's begining to sink in that the wav files for the video intro are only there as back-ups in case you don't have Quicktime installed, or something like that.

Now my questions from my previous post still stand, because I'm concerned about getting the non-music sound files to work correctly. But now I have a new concern, and that is how to edit/replace the music in video itself, assuming I can find a way to swap video's. There's so much on his programming plate that I doubt that I'll be able to convince Gordon to progam CMMOS to swap video files. Especially when most people are looking for workarounds to turn the thing off anyway. Moreover, that video file is over 40 Mb, so we're starting to talk bloat...

[ March 13, 2002, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Just when I was getting ready to throw in the towel...

I loaded Lilli Marleen into my wav folder. It had exactly the right properties. Then I held down the left shift key and launched CMBO. There was no video intro movie, but Lilli played right through the selection screens.

I tried some of the other files to see if I had any latitude as to the properties. Apparently I don't, though I accidently created a great Hamstertruppen Musik mod.

So now that I see a way to make this work without inflicting massive bloat on people's hard drives and without running Gordon ragged, I'm back to my quest for editing equipment. How do I make my Hamstertruppen Musik sound the way it's supposed to ? I need to change many of the properties. Can some of this be handled by the Creative Labs software that came with my SoundBlaster ? And can you recommend any good sound file editors ?

[ March 13, 2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]