Off-map mortars ridiculously inaccurate?

We have made some tweaks for v1.01. Problems could arise when the Spotter called FFE even without having seen the spotting rounds. This should take care of the problem of accurate fire in completely wrong spot.

Steve

This mystifies me because my tests indicated no relationship between where the spotting rounds landed and what happened with the FFE barrage. Quite often (small on-board mortars) the first spotting round landed right on the target. There would still be anywhere from 1-3 more spotting rounds (have no clue why the variance), and the barrage might still go wrong.

The only thing that I could relate to the accuracy of the FFE was the experience of the spotter and the size of the area around the target that the spotter could see. OTOH, if the spotter needs to see a spotting round fall, why would the barrage go wrong when the first spotting round fell right on target?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have made some tweaks for v1.01. Problems could arise when the Spotter called FFE even without having seen the spotting rounds. This should take care of the problem of accurate fire in completely wrong spot.

Steve

That's great to hear - many thanks Steve. One in the eye for those who claim BFC doesn't listen to its customers...

That's great to hear - many thanks Steve. One in the eye for those who claim BFC doesn't listen to its customers...

They ALWAYS listen. They don't always agree, but they do a great job of taking requests into consideration. It's one of the great things about this company. My fiance recently beta tested for "Elemental-something" and they were jerks who didn't utilize their testers well and constantly shut down any/all criticisms.

I've been involved in MANY heated debates here with BFC and they always try to argue the best point, rather than just sticking to what they want no matter what (there's a difference).

This mystifies me because my tests indicated no relationship between where the spotting rounds landed and what happened with the FFE barrage. Quite often (small on-board mortars) the first spotting round landed right on the target. There would still be anywhere from 1-3 more spotting rounds (have no clue why the variance), and the barrage might still go wrong.

The only thing that I could relate to the accuracy of the FFE was the experience of the spotter and the size of the area around the target that the spotter could see. OTOH, if the spotter needs to see a spotting round fall, why would the barrage go wrong when the first spotting round fell right on target?

With off map mortars I find that if a spotting round lands on target, the FO will call fire for effect right away and the barrage will land on target. With on map mortars the behaviour seems different - I've seen considerably more indirect fire mssions from on-map mortars fire for effect on the wrong location despite spotting rounds being on target, or at least close enough that an off-map mission would be accurate based on that spotting round.

Whether that is an issue with off-map artillery being too accurate or on-map artillery having some kind of bug when used via forward observer I don't know.

With off map mortars I find that if a spotting round lands on target, the FO will call fire for effect right away and the barrage will land on target. With on map mortars the behaviour seems different - I've seen considerably more indirect fire mssions from on-map mortars fire for effect on the wrong location despite spotting rounds being on target, or at least close enough that an off-map mission would be accurate based on that spotting round.

Whether that is an issue with off-map artillery being too accurate or on-map artillery having some kind of bug when used via forward observer I don't know.

Glad you mentioned the difference. My testing (which was by no means scientific) was done with on-map mortars, because that was what puzzled me the most at the time. So maybe you've hit on a very important point.