Argh - Tank Hunter team opens fire... with small arms!

I'd prefer an 'ambush' stance command and better ai over the CMx1 'AT arc' solution. If you're familiar with the Close Combat series, ordering ambushes (both AT and personnel) was quite easy and worked really good. The hiding soldiers knew to wait for good AT range and use correct weapons without having to micromanage.

I´d like to see simultaneous vs. armor and vs. soft target covered arcs for all units, including split teams, weapon teams, Pak, ect. Maybe a small engagement range interface (without CA) would do a similar purpose.

Dreaming of a squad fire tactics interface:

Engage with squad LMG only, at xxx m.

Engage with other small arms at xxx m.

Engage armor with small arms: Yes/No

...?

Similar settings for armor, AT and support weapons teams.

Surely a nightmare to code, with numerous exceptions and unexpected situations to deal with, particularly for the AIP

Related matter - does anyone know the way to get sniper teams to only use the scoped rifle and thus remain stealthy? I find the second team member likes to "go hot" with his MP40 all the time, and then everyone on the planet knows where they are...

Back in the MG effectiveness thread, I brought up the fact that team members with SMG are way too willing to burn their ammo, especially at longer ranges where the SMG isn't very effective. One of the Beta testers commented that this was a known issue and would be adjusted in the first patch so that the SMG won't won't open up until the range of 100m or so.

This should mostly eliminate the problem wrt SMGs opening up and revealing the position of sniper teams, since you usually want to engage with snipers at longer ranges.

This said, it may be that even further adjustment is needed for sniper teams specifically -- in Normandy, some of the terrain is so dense that snipers have a decent chance of being able to engage at fairly close range without being spotted. IMHO, the spotter on a sniper team shouldn't open up unless the enemy is extremely close (say, 50m), and/or the sniper team has already been taken under fire.

its becoming abundantly clear to me that the infantry are suicidal fools

ive got an infantry force defending a small town against an armoured assault

infantry continue to fire on tanks at any given range

ok so use cover arcs you say,sure,til a tank trips it and then they open up on the tank knowing full well they cant make a dent,and die to return fire instantly

i already split AT teams to draw fire away from the rest of the squad but its not the problem

for gods sake the HQs are firing their damn pistols at tanks now too

Infantry shouldnt be firing on tanks without an express order to do so

so i withdraw every damn soldier without an AT weapon to a position on the map where they cant see anyone or do anything stupid

wheres the self preservation here?

surely this isnt how its meant to be?

im loving the game

but this one is starting to annoy me,that and the accuracy of fast moving armor hitting stationary targets on the move at long ranges,but,thats another story

i can accept any and all of these problems with the initial release,all i really want to know,is it being considered or at least looked at?

• 7 months later...