Panzer --SPG differences ?

The intention for SPGs was to have e armored weapon for the close infanterie support. But the SPGs was efective Tank killers. During the war the SPG switched from infanterie support to a tank killer.

His costs was cheaper and his producing easier and his high was very small. it was difficult to see and hit him.

It's very hard to use non-turret AFVs to drive through a gap in enemy lines to do some damage there. Real tanks with turrets are not supposed to open those gaps, but they are supposed to use gaps opened by the infantry. Since that's never perfect they need to fire at leftover defenders and reinforcements coming up.

While neither can fire effectively on the move, turretless AFVs cannot even pre-aim at anything without stopping. A tank can turn the turret before stopping to fire.

Traveling is also dangerous for them. Tanks travel through indian country with turrets pre-turned in different directions which make surviving ambushes much more likely.

Based on my experience with the game, I'll try to point out advantages and disadvantages of SPGs available in Kursk.

German side

StuGs:

+ Low silhouette comes into mind. The game engine really seems to take this into account when plotting projectile arcs.

+ Very good frontal armour at relatively low price. Also, pretty damage resistant (at least when it comes to vehicle's frontal plates).

+ Low velocity 75mm main gun really comes in handy when you need to lob the projectile over small hills, at medium to long distances (but so can short barrelled PzIVs). I've done this several times.

Elefants/Ferdinands, Nashorns, Marders... (okay, they are tank destroyers but I thought I'll include them):

Never liked them and I don't believe I've ever used them due to either being low on ammo (Elefant/Ferdinand) or being open-topped. So I can't say anything about them.

Wespe/Hummel:

It's fair as an artillery piece (more Wespe than Hummel), but you'll do much better if you let LeIGs do the arty missions. It's just there isn't enough room on the map to efficiently use those cannons. So I'd strongly suggest to completely forget about these units.

Ivan

SU-122 (my favourite)

+ This is an excellent Panther destroyer. And you don't even have to use HEAT rounds to turn the cat into fireball. High Explosive round fired from ca. 300 meters can turn a Panther into a fireball (ammunition detonation caused by concussion) or at least eliminate its crew and causing severe internal damage (armour spalling).

+ Plenty of HE shells (see above)

+ It's fast!

SU-76

Frankly, I kind of disliked this vehicle throughout the whole game. It's open topped and thus very vulnerable to mortar and HE artillery fire, with armour almost like paper and weak main armament. Not a good choice if you ask me. Still, when SU-122 or 152 are not available or you're low on OOB points, you have to choose it. I found out, that the best use of those vehicles, is to place them in ambushes, preferably in villages or towns, or in dense vegetation, where enemy is expected to come at them at a very close range. If it gets hot, our SPG can always drive back and hide behind a building or bushes. Do not ever let this unit shoot from open field as its incredibly prone to being knocked out by almost every shell out there.

SU-152 and SU-100

I don't think I had the opportunity to use those vehicles, but they should seem to be more potent than my favourite SU-122. But, a 152mm HE shell should eradicate almost any Jerry armor threat there is to be met, including Tiger tanks. Can't remember if there were any ISU SPGs in Kursk, but ISU-152 with its impressive frontal armour and calibre, and ISU-122 with its long barrelled gun should do even better.

Common:

- With both tracks out or engine failure, SPGs are pretty much cooked. So I've always placed them in a safe distance from enemy lines, preferably on hills overlooking large parts of the map or in ambushes, secured by my other units that could react in case something bad happened. That, to minimize the risk of being hit at the side when a unit becomes immobile.

+ The most important advantage comes from the OOB specifics. Very you use them as a slot filler when there are not enough tank slots. If you ask me, 1C should get rid of those unit-specific slots in favour of universal ones, that would allow you to freely composite your army for the battle. Like it is in Steel Panthers or Close Combat.

Thank you Morcar,Redwolf and especially Lemonade for time and effort to educate me . This game gets greater and greater every day as I play it ! Micro-managing a soldier "sneaking" up to the rear of a "planted" tank to lob his 2 AT grenades is a blast !!! Jim