I have recently seen a couple mortar units (on map) missing by around 100m the selected area nearby a TRP spot. I presume that is due to some random factor (wind?) plus the quality of the mortar unit and/or the HQ requesting it. (Playing as American against human in "Le Desert", small map, so precission and pin pointing of arty is key).

Now, what is the best way to correct? Will the "correct" command in the arty dialog pannel be of any use? I mean if I correct the area it is basically to give the order to fire at the same spot I ordered in the first place so I am unsure it is going to make any difference? Shall I just correct 100m in the opposite direction (which will actually put the target area 100m away from where I really want it? :P so to "trick" my mortar unit?)

Or shall I just cancel the fire mission and restart again?

I have recently seen a couple mortar units (on map) missing by around 100m the selected area nearby a TRP spot. I presume that is due to some random factor (wind?) plus the quality of the mortar unit and/or the HQ requesting it. (Playing as American against human in "Le Desert", small map, so precission and pin pointing of arty is key).

Now, what is the best way to correct? Will the "correct" command in the arty dialog pannel be of any use? I mean if I correct the area it is basically to give the order to fire at the same spot I ordered in the first place so I am unsure it is going to make any difference? Shall I just correct 100m in the opposite direction (which will actually put the target area 100m away from where I really want it? :P so to "trick" my mortar unit?)

Or shall I just cancel the fire mission and restart again?

"adjust" is to change to a different target, not make corrections.

"adjust" is to change to a different target, not make corrections.

Of course, but if the mortar shells are dropping in a useless spot, might as well "adjust" even though is going to be basically to the same spot, no? That is what I am trying to clarify. Is it of any use at all to do that or will the mortar ignore that "adjustment" (since it is the same spot) and keep firing away? Will "adjusting" slightly off the original spot achieve anything?

Or is the only solution to avoid wasted ammo to just cancel the mission?

Of course, but if the mortar shells are dropping in a useless spot, might as well "adjust" even though is going to be basically to the same spot, no? That is what I am trying to clarify. Is it of any use at all to do that or will the mortar ignore that "adjustment" (since it is the same spot) and keep firing away? Will "adjusting" slightly off the original spot achieve anything?

Or is the only solution to avoid wasted ammo to just cancel the mission?

Pre-planned missions should be on target, as should missions on TRPs. Spotter-requested line of sight missions should be adjusted on target automatically during the spotting phase, unless you requested an "emergency" mission or the spotter is having trouble seeing where the spotting rounds are falling. In the case of the latter, the spotter may eventually give up and go to fire for effect even though the mission is off target. If the same conditions exist that made the spotter unable to properly adjust during the spotting phase, "adjust mission" isn't going to change that.

Pre-planned missions should be on target, as should missions on TRPs.

Well this one was a TRP referenced mission and it was not on target, that is for sure. It was around 80m - 100m off target (although that margin of error may be considered actually on target?). Not sure if it is a bug or not. In principle I have no reason to believe is a bug. Eventhough you have a TRP I presume you may still have wind, ability of the HQ ordering the mission, ability of the mortar crew, etc that may affect actual landing spot for the rounds. So I was not surprised to see the rounds off. Annoyed, but not surprised :P

But that was not the point; I am just trying to find out what is the best way to make it back on target.

Was the mission ordered during setup or during play? Whether or not it is on a TRP during setup shouldn't matter, as all missions ordered during setup are in effect on TRPs (registered locations).

Also, was it a "linear" mission? If so, and if this was not a setup phase mission, is it possible you put one end of the target line beyond the radius (50m) of the TRP?

CM:BN TRPs definitely aren't as all-powerful as CMx1 TRPs. The spotter gets to target outside of LOS on top of them but the same fire mission times and vagueries of regular-old artillery missions still apply... at least the last time I used them.

Was the mission ordered during setup or during play? Whether or not it is on a TRP during setup shouldn't matter, as all missions ordered during setup are in effect on TRPs (registered locations).

Also, was it a "linear" mission? If so, and if this was not a setup phase mission, is it possible you put one end of the target line beyond the radius (50m) of the TRP?

- during play

- Linear indeed. Hmm, a possibilty, but I believe that if you select the end spot for the line outside of the TRP radius (with no LoS) the system just does not allow you to click there, or does it?

Quick update. What I actually did to get things back on track is to issue an "adjust" order to the mission where I got to select my fire line again. I selected one pretty much in the same spot again. 2 turns after, the landing spots for my barrage seems to be ok now...