TCP/IP Problem

Sven

A friend of mine and me have been playing a TCP/IP game now for 27 turns, and all of a sudden this problem emerges.

Every time, my friend is finished downloading the computed action sequence, nothing happens... the game stops on his computer, but I get to see the whole minute. Then the computer realises the connection is lost.

Does anybody have any idea what's happened?

It's me again... we tried one more (for the 5th time), and then it worked, all of a sudden.

I still have no idea what the problem was/is though.

One odd thing is that I got to see all the action, whereas he only got to give orders. Every time we reloaded the autosave, it had moved forward one turn...

The only time I've seen this (on a consistent basis) is with the 'crew capture bug'. The 'non-rendering' computer will never download the movie, but the 'rendering' computer will play back the movie and wait for a response from the client (other player). With these games it is necessary to finish (or play a turn or so) in PBEM (after a turn or so of PBEM you could switch back to TCP/IP). Since you were able to restart your TCP/IP game, then I don't know what may have caused it. If you still have a saved game that halts in TCP/IP you may want to email it to Madmatt (though you may want to provide as many details about the problem that you can recall).

this is an ongoing bug that probably will not be fixed (its been open for at least 6 months). Basically a switch to pbem is the only way to continue this game (and sometimes that doesn't work). There is an extrememly long thread about it, if you feel like doing a search on tcp/ip, but it says basically what i have said above.

Not every, but it seems to be a contributing factor. This is a bitch of a bug to get tracked down, as are all networking errors, just because there are an amazing number of variables, many of which cannot be easily established much less controlled.

WWB