First Impressions (CM:BN Full Release)

Playing the first scenario of a campaign on warrior - no spoilers - I was being beaten up for a while with not even sound contacts showing up. It really made me think of the reality of fighting through the dense hedgerows of the period.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had an awesome moment the other day, I can't find the thread with awesome moments so I'll just jot it down here.

Carbide Carbide map, Realtime, almost an hour into the map, I finally managed to cross the lefternmost bridge with some shot up infantry that I put in the houses near the bridge (playing US side) and two tanks with which I crept up on two Stugs in the bocage. With a lot of reloads and for at least half an hour I tried to take out the Stugs with the tanks then with some engineers with AT charges, nothing worked. I just couldn't find and angle. So finally I gave up, left the four tanks hiding in the bushes and went over to the other side of the map to work on the other bridge.

About 15 minutes later I hear a loud bang from the back. Whatta? I pan back to the bridge that I've already taken and I see one of the Stugs burning up, crew bailing out and screaming in German. Jeesus. I never gave an order for them to keep on trying or anything I just left it to that, no cover arc, nothing.... The Stug was in the same place I saw it last so they didn't move.... One of the Shermans crews FIGURED IT OUT and they blasted the Stug out of the Bocange just like that. I mean....are these guys ALIVE in my PC and THINKING or WHAT?????? it was creepy. I almost kissed them, they were just too little and too flat.

Well, I had an awesome moment the other day, I can't find the thread with awesome moments so I'll just jot it down here.

Carbide Carbide map, Realtime, almost an hour into the map, I finally managed to cross the lefternmost bridge with some shot up infantry that I put in the houses near the bridge (playing US side) and two tanks with which I crept up on two Stugs in the bocage. With a lot of reloads and for at least half an hour I tried to take out the Stugs with the tanks then with some engineers with AT charges, nothing worked. I just couldn't find and angle. So finally I gave up, left the four tanks hiding in the bushes and went over to the other side of the map to work on the other bridge.

About 15 minutes later I hear a loud bang from the back. Whatta? I pan back to the bridge that I've already taken and I see one of the Stugs burning up, crew bailing out and screaming in German. Jeesus. I never gave an order for them to keep on trying or anything I just left it to that, no cover arc, nothing.... The Stug was in the same place I saw it last so they didn't move.... One of the Shermans crews FIGURED IT OUT and they blasted the Stug out of the Bocange just like that. I mean....are these guys ALIVE in my PC and THINKING or WHAT?????? it was creepy. I almost kissed them, they were just too little and too flat.

The little dudes are uncannily real sometimes. I was in realtime trying to figure out what was going on with somebody shooting at a company HQ. I zoomed up to a paratrooper squad sitting in some trees and I was about to give them a hunt order when one of them stood up, took aim with his M1 and shot a german running across a field about 75 meters away. The whole thing seemed creepy and yet dramatic, even melodramatic.

I tried using 8" howitzers yesterday. What a waste of points! It takes three days for them to start firing even with the required FO unit. I'm sure that is realistic, but I won't be using them again useless I have a longer scenario and I'm really sure where the enemy is. Is there anyway to speed up offboard artillery response time? Do I need to pick different types of units or rating, etc...?

I tried using 8" howitzers yesterday. What a waste of points! It takes three days for them to start firing even with the required FO unit. I'm sure that is realistic, but I won't be using them again useless I have a longer scenario and I'm really sure where the enemy is. Is there anyway to speed up offboard artillery response time? Do I need to pick different types of units or rating, etc...?

TRPs. Or, use them as turn 1 pre-planned barrage.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to code that question mark into becoming a vehicle or inf icon as it solidifies? I had one coming up the road at night and didn't know know whether to deploy one of the only two units nearby covering that flank, a nearby HMG or Tube guy. Moving both would create a huge gap. Of course I went greater threat, moved the tube and had a squad trapped on the roadi by bocage. Tube ran away as ordered! I figure the guys might be able to tell the difference between an engine and a group of troops sneaking up? It can stay the question mark if it's troops pushing a tank with the engine off! :)

My first impressions:

I found the game hard to get into, until I did a few things.

Sound mod, tracer mod installed.

Back to WEGO. This was probably the main thing that made the game more enjoyable. The WW2 formations are just too big in many cases to have an enjoyable time playing RT (for me personally). After switching back to WEGO, I'm finding the game quite epic.

I'm still over-protective of my units like CMSF. But I find this actually works well, the lethality of modern weapons teaches you harsh lessons which translate well into WW2.

The only thing for me that is a bit of a let down are the graphics. Everyones raving about them but reallly they're not that much of an improvement over CMSF in my opinion, and in some cases worse IMO (Trees, grass, sometimes the colours look off). Models are definitely better, terrain is not.

Newbie over here, but long time gamer - This is my first CM game, and my first impressions of it are that it looks promising but good lord could it be any more difficult to get into?

You want a game that is hard to get into try Empires in Arms by Matrix. Napoleonic strategy game. I bought it in 2007 or 2008 and still can't figure it out.

"LAST DEFENSE" Hiiiiiyaaaah! the first scenario I played when I tried the 'CM beyond overlord' demo, ten years ago!! Thank thanks a lot for this birthday present!! Whaaao after playing this scenario I will reinstall CMBO on my computer to feel the diference between. Great job BFC, a long long way since CMBO...

...and thank for the german helmet fix ;)

You want a game that is hard to get into try Empires in Arms by Matrix. Napoleonic strategy game. I bought it in 2007 or 2008 and still can't figure it out.

Or perhaps War in the Pacific: AE. It will likely take you over a year to get through a full campaign.

Yeah, it sure can happen - even in the old games. While waiting for CMBN I was playing CMBB with a friend. I had two Wespes hiding in the trees chewing up some infantry. Suddenly a IS2 showed up that I had no idea he had. Before my guys could turn their guns around the near one was blasted by the 122mm and the explosion plus secondary was so big it took out the other Wespe too.

One shot two kills. I just got FRAPs working and I need to go find that turn because it was pretty cool even in the old game.

I learned lots of lessons that game.

Another thing about CMBN i would like to commend BFC on is how damn fast the game starts up. I mean we're talking split seconds from clicking the start icon to having the main menu up. Great job!

Module? Is that a patch, DLC or expansion?

Modules are expansion packs - eg. for CMSF there was USMC, British and NATO modules. For CMBN the modules will be Commonwealth (incl. Brits, Canucks, Allied minors, Waffen SS and Fallschirmjägers), Market Garden (it also expands the timeframe to September-October) and a 'Battle Pack' which is a new concept with no single common theme, odds and sods like 'Hobart's funnies'.

Modules require the base game, but you don't have to own them all - eg. you can skip the Commonwealth module and buy just the Market Garden module if you like.