First Impressions (CM:BN Full Release)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First wow moments - aside from the graphics. Pushed my reserve platoon into a village through a flank route discovered clear by a scout team. Blasted the centre with mortars then with the defences broken assaulted into the victory location. The lead squad was met at short range by a lone scout with a Thompson who duly threw them back down the street. Another squad received the same treatment but managed to hold on. Then as we secured the building a wounded engineer started taking potshots with his Garand. At game end both the scout and the engineer survived.

Don't use Emergency Fire Mission until you get the hang of artillery. Trust me :D

Steve

When you get the hang of artillery you will understand what a bad idea they are. For the most part its something you do when you have pretty much given up on winning. The bloody things can go ANYWHERE. Including on your own head. However if you catch a company of infantry in the open the results are rather spectacular.

...So I'm playing the demo and the family dog comes into the room with a piece of paper hanging out of her mouth. I remove the paper and notice it is a note from the Mrs. Anxious to start the next turn I hurriedly read the note which says, "I'm in the bedroom and will know in 5 minutes if you're surrendering to me or that stupid game you're playing." I wrote a one word response, placed the paper back into the pooches' mouth and sent it to the bedroom. Seconds later the wife yells out, "Wadda ya mean 'NUTS!' ?"

LOL...One way or another that had to be a very long night. ;)

Played my first quick battle today. So far, I love it! Still getting used to the UI. Still miss my command lines. Only one technical problem so far: I can't quit out of the game and have to bring up Task Manager to exit the game.

That is really odd. You are doing Alt+Q right? I spotted something earlier in the tech forum about someone who couldn't reduce trees (Alt+T) and another alt command, but I don't remember the 2nd one off hand. It does make me wonder with 2 people possibly having an issue. On my G19 everything is fine.

Played my first quick battle today. So far, I love it! Still getting used to the UI. Still miss my command lines. Only one technical problem so far: I can't quit out of the game and have to bring up Task Manager to exit the game.

If you are using Win 7 64 Bit and an ATI card, make sure you've updated your drivers to 11.5. That should fix the problem.

Steve

First time i tried to quit game it also froze on me, can alt-q out of 3d game ok but its when i clicked on the exit button to exit game proper that it froze. Using win 7 64bit and 11.3 (5870), gonna try the 11.5 when i get time to install, only briefly played game for half hour though (damn work) but was pretty exciting half hour, terrain looks great. Nice one Battlefront.

When you get the hang of artillery you will understand what a bad idea they are. For the most part its something you do when you have pretty much given up on winning. The bloody things can go ANYWHERE. Including on your own head. However if you catch a company of infantry in the open the results are rather spectacular.

I think I saw pretty much the same result with my German rocket barrage set to heavy......absolutley fantastic to watch, again and again, decimated the American attack caught in the open. Yet rounds were landing everywhere, set my area target a 'little' too big :)

Brilliant game.

First time i tried to quit game it also froze on me, can alt-q out of 3d game ok but its when i clicked on the exit button to exit game proper that it froze. Using win 7 64bit and 11.3 (5870), gonna try the 11.5 when i get time to install, only briefly played game for half hour though (damn work) but was pretty exciting half hour, terrain looks great. Nice one Battlefront.

11.3 should be the reason for that problem. Who'd have thunk that a graphics driver would prevent a program from cleanly exiting! But I've been doing this game thing far too long to be really surprised at what doesn't work with drivers.

Steve

11.3 should be the reason for that problem. Who'd have thunk that a graphics driver would prevent a program from cleanly exiting! But I've been doing this game thing far too long to be really surprised at what doesn't work with drivers.

Steve

11.5 fixed my exiting issue. :-) BTW, it's a little funky because the actual driver version reads 8.850.0.0, but the Catalyst version is 11.5.

The much higher fidelity in the new simulation (or was CM1 even a simulation in comparison to CM:BN?) REALLY forces you reassess all the things you have learned and thought you knew. I am struggling, happily, with LOS vs contour lines, on board arty C3 and positioning, not to mention the much increased WEGO possibilities with individual way point orders.

For what we got I give a 100% positive score.... For what we want, well only Battlefront can tell. I´m just enjoying the ride!

M.

11.5 fixed my exiting issue. :-) BTW, it's a little funky because the actual driver version reads 8.850.0.0, but the Catalyst version is 11.5.

I think that's because 11.5 just means that it's the may 2011 release (since they publish a new version each month), but they still use a more traditional numbering system for the actual driver version.

If you are using Win 7 64 Bit and an ATI card, make sure you've updated your drivers to 11.5. That should fix the problem.

Steve

Yep, W7 64 Bit and an ATI card (fairly high end). I'll make sure I have the latest drivers when I get home from work (darn work.....grumble).

Fantastic game, BTW! I played a small QB last night and was laughing in glee as I snuck a light tank (Stuart I think) behind two Stugs and took them both out from behind before they could turn around. My wife thinks I'm weird.

Superb Game and love playing but really struggling with Small QB. Can the AI select anything other than a full formation ? My force balance is way out of whack for automatic forces or am i doing something wrong. So far ive had on medium, all (lots) infantry 1 sherman. 5 panthers and a mortar team. Smaller games i tried a suggested force in purchase screen, it suggested a ton of paras and some mortars, no armour in that one. I have a feeling im doing something wrong.

steve

I downloaded today and played after some training with demo.. one word ... great game

Better than demo that I can say, but number of battle in the full game should be more.. I remember that any CM1 release was containing more battle than this game.

We will be waiting new battles or campaigns from designers

Superb Game and love playing but really struggling with Small QB. Can the AI select anything other than a full formation ? My force balance is way out of whack for automatic forces or am i doing something wrong. So far ive had on medium, all (lots) infantry 1 sherman. 5 panthers and a mortar team. Smaller games i tried a suggested force in purchase screen, it suggested a ton of paras and some mortars, no armour in that one. I have a feeling im doing something wrong.

steve

Are you selecting the battle type (infantry only, armor only, mechanized infantry, mix, random) you want?

Also, if you don't like the suggested forces, you can hit the button again and it will give you a different suggested force.

Sorry, the original thumb didn't blow up large enough to read.

66 combat victories

1 M4a3 (75mm) Early

2 M4a3 Sherman

1 M4a1 Sherman Mid

3 M4a3 (76mm) Early

2 M4a1 Sherman Late

2 M4 Sherman Late

4 M3 Halftrack (the majority of the infantry kills)

1 M3a1 Halftrack

1 M4a3 Sherman Rhino

-dodger