First Impressions (CM:BN Full Release)

Me and a generous glass of scotch are currently working our way through the first mission of the Task Force Raff tutorial campaign.

Oh look, it's my old friend the Greyhound! Not that I don't like LAV-25s, but...I've missed you.

Ahhhhh.

:cool:

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The QB system is fan-f***ing-tastic!

Tiny battle, ME, all armor, computer selects. I get 4 Sherms and a HT. In CMx1, the HT would be a complete waste in an all armor battle. But in *this* game, I can "acquire" a bazooka and 4 rounds (they were lying in the HT), dismount the crew, and send them off to scout the VL and maybe snipe with the zook.

The maps are beautiful. The StuGs and PzIVs are beautiful. So far, the AI has been really smart - it did a flanking maneuver that I wasn't expecting at all!

Okay, time to blow some more stuff up!

Sitting here half drunk on Calvados and just noticed fallschirmjägers are not in. (Yes inspired by The Clay Pigeons of St. Lo) But OK they will come later I just found out.

But apart from that it sure looks like good. Now I'm off to get kicked hard by the AI in a quick battle.

I was able to download and begin playing the demo last night.

The graphics are fantastic.

However, I have a few questions which I hope are not complaints.

I've been playing the first generation Combat Mission games since day one (haven't played in about 9 months though). One thing I noticed right away was that this demo doesn't seem to allow me the same options for movement as CMAK, for example. This could be because I'm not familiar with how to use the new game, and am looking for CMAK style of movement/gameplay. For example, I couldn't figure out how to move the waypoints around after my basic moves had been plotted. I also wasn't able to get the tanks to rotate at the end of a move. I couldn't figure out how to check a unit's line of sight. I also missed the pause timer (can't remember if I tried it or not.) I must admit, I didn't read the online manual, I just jumped in and began playing. I'm hoping that the full version has as many movement options, if not more.

I've only played the training battle in the hedgerows. I didn't seem to have the ability to place the units at the start. I assume this is only the case with this one mission?

Also, I had a bit of trouble seeing my guys when they were in the hedgerows. Is there a way to make the bases brighter?

I'm mostly concerned about the movement options. When I played the first gen games, I made most of my moves using the hotkeys that I had memorized over the years. I didn't see those same hotkeys with this game. In fact, there seemed to be much fewer available commands. I'm hoping someone will tell me that the new game allows for as precise control as the previous games. I don't mind simplified, but I don't want "dumbed down".

I have no experience with CMSF, and don't really care to.

My first Impression = Awesome. I was expecting TOW Kursk with all kinds of slowdown, erratic infantry behaviour and general bad AI. Nope. What I get is smooth flow game play with everything doing exactly what I've asked it to do, right down to Shermans popping smoke all on thier own. All settings set to quality and everything is gorgeous. Excellent work guys, big salute from me.

For example, I couldn't figure out how to move the waypoints around after my basic moves had been plotted. I also wasn't able to get the tanks to rotate at the end of a move. I couldn't figure out how to check a unit's line of sight. I also missed the pause timer (can't remember if I tried it or not.) I must admit, I didn't read the online manual, I just jumped in and began playing. I'm hoping that the full version has as many movement options, if not more.

Moveable waypoints are not in CMx2 yet. The pause timer is there, in the Special Orders command tab. To rotate at the end of the move, left-click the last waypoint and use the Face command in the Combat command tab.

I've only played the training battle in the hedgerows. I didn't seem to have the ability to place the units at the start. I assume this is only the case with this one mission?

There is no setup zone for this mission.

Newbie over here, but long time gamer - This is my first CM game, and my first impressions of it are that it looks promising but good lord could it be any more difficult to get into? Thanks for the early download for pre-orders, but the tutorial missions are not playable without the manual by your side - Would it really have been so hard to have a text box pop up to give you the instructions?

My other primary complaint is the camera, which feels....sticky... Is it something you get used to? It feels like when I press "W" to move the camera forward it goes a tiny bit, but then pauses as if expecting that's as much movement as I wanted and then only after I convincingly hold down the button for an extra beat then it goes into a very fast (compared to the size of the maps) scroll that generally overshoots where I wanted to get to - This seems true of all buttons, and it's a problem I've never had with a camera system before - Very jarring, if I'm missing some trick to it please let me know.

Other than that game looks very deep but very satisfying - The WEGO system is an astonishing idea that both simplifies and deepens the experience in a way no other developer, regardless of size or prestige has yet. So kudos to that, and really I'd just encourage you to take the time and make some of these front-end systems a little easier to work with, because the game isn't *that* complex, but the presentation makes it very intimidating.

My other primary complaint is the camera, which feels....sticky... Is it something you get used to? It feels like when I press "W" to move the camera forward it goes a tiny bit, but then pauses as if expecting that's as much movement as I wanted and then only after I convincingly hold down the button for an extra beat then it goes into a very fast (compared to the size of the maps) scroll that generally overshoots where I wanted to get to - This seems true of all buttons, and it's a problem I've never had with a camera system before - Very jarring, if I'm missing some trick to it please let me know.

This is really my main gripe with the demo and what is holding me back from buying the full game. Hopefully it can be fixed up.

First impressions:

Blazing fast download - 20 min without any accelerators.

Installation was quick

Checked the quick battle map folder - 317 of them!

Fired it up and started a quick battle. All I can say is I'm even happier than when I started playing the demo last week.

A quick word to total newbies. It would be worth the effort to brush up your skills on mouse camera movement controls. Keyboard command definitely comes in a distant second. Some 3rd party revised hotkey sets have even done away with keyboard movement entirely to free the key commands for more vital tasks. You'll thank me later. :)

Im guessing so as this hasnt been changed in CMSF and I dont recall anyone mentioning it in as long as I can recall :)

Actually... it was fixed a while ago for CM:BN. I'm not sure why the fix doesn't appear to be in place for all systems all the time. We're going to look into this for the v1.01 patch because camera movement via keys should be smooth.

Steve