Do we now have friendly fire casualtys?

There is a small problem with that though, especially in WEGO mode. You can area fire (target light) a house with a Panther and move in your infantry at the same time but you cannot do the same with a Sherman since it's 50 cal will kill your troops (as I had to experience).

This isn't a good idea for either, as you can end up suppressing your own men, causing them to change orders in some circumstances, or even wounding or killing them with ricochets or shards thrown off by nearby impacts.

I don't think friendly-fire was removed from rifle-caliber and smaller guns so that you would be able to fire into the same action spot as friendly forces without consequences. I think it was mainly removed to keep individuals in the same unit or nearby units from shooting each other in the back if a threat appears in the line of fire from one soldier through another (otherwise they would require extremely complex repositioning behavior).

This isn't a good idea for either, as you can end up suppressing your own men, causing them to change orders in some circumstances, or even wounding or killing them with ricochets or shards thrown off by nearby impacts.

I think this is one of the things people will start having to have a feel for to get good: when should you stop your support fires on the assaulting team's target? Playing WeGo, judging exactly how long it'll take your assaulting team to get into the danger area is going to be critical.

I've certainly noticed that friendly HE/Smoke type fire (tanks, artillery etc) on friendly dismounts causes casualties. Small arms fire does not appear to cause casualties but I have seen friendlies go to ground and cower under the hail of supporting fire from their mates and refusing to get up and move on. I've just started getting into the habit of watching lines of fire and making sure guys don't run into their own fire. Friendly tanks 'helping' by blasting positions with HE (just as your own boys arrive on position) is a big danger to watch out for. I've had whole sections in CMSF cut down by supporting 30mm cannon fire as they ran over a berm staright into LOF from their supporting Warrior... Also had similar event in Busting The Bocage when my US dismounts ran onto a hedgerow just as their supporting tank blasted it with HE cos a German popped his head up with a panzerfaust...

Having a squad running along the fire and around in the area target zone of a company of infantry for several minutes did nothing, nore did the .30 cal. of two Shermans. The second I opened up with the commanders .50 cal., area fire, the squad was cut down.

Pretty clear it seems.

/M

We went through this in the CMSF forum one time...I remember doing some tests and it seems that basically anything that goes boom causes friendly casualties ('cept maybe grenades?) and anything 50 cal and above deals friendly death as well.

One thing I don't know though, is if the Marine's infantry carried fifty (that was a 50. Cal, right?), causes friendly fire hurt.

Mord.