Devon - Basic Training Campaign

My confession: I haven't touched a CM game since 2003. I used to play CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK. I downloaded the demo for CM Norm and am wishing that it included the Basic training lessons. Granted, i'm grateful for the luverly manual but its going to take a bit to learn this very different UI. I'm on the mac

any tips?

• 2 weeks later...

For all the training (Devon & Raff) and for any battle for that matter remember to take your time. With the relative spotting and C2 it takes time for guys to see things and pass info around. Sometime after having a guy in an action space with binocs he is spotting new things after 3 or 4 minutes.

I play best when I try to put myself in my troopers shoes and say "What would I do here?" and not be so reckless.

..and God bless arty. Our arty.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All:

First, received the game today (yippee) and am OK with the interface etc. Just played the last mission of this Devon Campaign and, although I won, I had trouble with the support weapons.

I used the Mortar w/o a spotter as the manual suggested. It had 10 kills.

The HMG was frustrating however. Placed it as in manual and it never seemed to have a shot; I would set an arc, and nada. So I got frustrated in the end and rushed it up the middle. Still couldn't seem to find anyone to kill.

So I guess it is LOS that is frustrating me. If a real unit is in the woods, they can see if they see the Hill or not. But it's hard for me, at least, to try and emulate that soldier's behavior. Any tips appreciated.

I also thought my soldiers would be slaughtered attacking up the Hill. But I broke 1 squad into teams to give them different roles and I used the Assault move for another squad. So they seemed to be able to generate enough firepower to allow the others to advance. Is it true that the Americans pack a lot of firepower, so that my scenario described above makes sense?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

The HMG was frustrating however. Placed it as in manual and it never seemed to have a shot; I would set an arc, and nada. So I got frustrated in the end and rushed it up the middle. Still couldn't seem to find anyone to kill.

So I guess it is LOS that is frustrating me. If a real unit is in the woods, they can see if they see the Hill or not. But it's hard for me, at least, to try and emulate that soldier's behavior. Any tips appreciated.

A change late in development made the tops of trees affect LOS more than they did when the campaign was made. So the LOS isn't quite as good as it was supposed to be.

This appears in Devon and in Raff Moves Inland. Both have had some terrain adjustments to fix the problem in the next patch.

After the manual was written there was some code changes to visibility that makes the "support position" in that scenario not that great. Try taking your MG team across your side of the map (down the road that runs along your side of the map and behind the house) to the low wall on the other side that looks up on the hill you have to assault. Deploy them there and give them a covered arc on the trenches and they will fire every turn. Great spot as the low wall protects you very well. Just be careful dashing out from behind the house across the open road!

Thanks for the quick responses. Appreciate it. Any thoughts on my second question?

"I also thought my soldiers would be slaughtered attacking up the Hill. But I broke 1 squad into teams to give them different roles and I used the Assault move for another squad. So they seemed to be able to generate enough firepower to allow the others to advance. Is it true that the Americans pack a lot of firepower, so that my scenario described above makes sense?"

One thing I should say is they have more men. But still I thought the Jerries in the trenches would put more of a hurt on them as they advanced in the open.

Gerry

Thanks for the quick responses. Appreciate it. Any thoughts on my second question?

"I also thought my soldiers would be slaughtered attacking up the Hill. But I broke 1 squad into teams to give them different roles and I used the Assault move for another squad. So they seemed to be able to generate enough firepower to allow the others to advance. Is it true that the Americans pack a lot of firepower, so that my scenario described above makes sense?"

One thing I should say is they have more men. But still I thought the Jerries in the trenches would put more of a hurt on them as they advanced in the open.

Gerry

The scenario is very easy on purpose, first combat and all that. The main purpose is to learn some more about the game and a basic combat tactic. If I was to make it so that the player HAD to use the woods to have a chance of not getting totally mauled, then the inherent randomness of results that the game produces would mean that sometimes the player would get mauled or even lose at least some of the time, even if they followed the instructions. That... wouldn't be good. ;)

The missions following it are not quite as forgiving, as some players who played Road to Berlin found out. ;)

If I was to make it so that the player HAD to use the woods...

!!!SPOILER!!!

I ran my troops through the woods and ran into a nasty ambush there. Man, those MP40s can hurt. I think that's where I suffered about 66% of all my casualties. I either killed or captured all the guys responsible though.

Michael

• 7 months later...
Someone has posted a youtube playthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3WbnxKquU

Video has been removed :(

I have question regarding the support teams. I give my mortar team the cover arc (target arc) command at the end of their waypoints, they get there and do nothing. Do they HAVE to see the enemy before firing? Can't you tell them just to open fire on an area?

Area target - got it. Never mind.

I have question regarding the support teams. I give my mortar team the cover arc (target arc) command at the end of their waypoints, they get there and do nothing. Do they HAVE to see the enemy before firing? Can't you tell them just to open fire on an area?

Area target - got it. Never mind.

Did you order them to deploy?

Michael