[ANN] Free WWII Campaign Add-On To Strategic Command WWI

In case you've missed it we will be releasing a free WWII campaign add-on the Strategic Command WWI The Great War game based on the map and scale of the WWI release.

blitzkrieg-th.jpg

Here is a quick link and overview of the up coming release:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1888&Itemid=1

Here is a screenshot of Soviet forces nearing Berlin as well as one of US forces in North Africa fighting near the Kasserine Pass which should give you a pretty good idea of the scale:

http://www.battlefront.com/images/stories/SC2/WW1/1939_Storm_over_Europe/lg/berlin.jpg

http://www.battlefront.com/images/stories/SC2/WW1/1939_Storm_over_Europe/lg/tunisia.jpg

This will be our most comprehensive and detailed European Theater release to date :)

Hubert

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best greetings, please excuse and i apologize is if not right to name other games, or about them, but i think, from an overall perspective, this will be the better european theater, turn based strategy game, with events, and scripts, potential mods, and all things all other european theater missed out, i mean, this game, aside being a very good first world war engine, also, may become the ultimate european theater game, almost all veterans may/will have his "dream" game [with edit tools] on world war 2 theater, thanks of course to all the team for all the work set on this add-on, also, i will dont worry to pay an extra 10 bucks for this, not little, but good outstanding gem,

best regards, and best of luck with the nasty bugs (if there are some),

Alarick. (any wargamer that played third reich on his bookcase/boardgame version, will like indeed, very much, this add-on, well, a game itself i guess is a better denomination)

and i are being in truth, not biased towards the add-on.

Panama Red,

We are looking at a Corps/Army scale similar to the previous release but with a few more of these units on the map as well as Garrison units and more of the specialized units such as Anti-Tank, Artillery, Anti-Air and so on.

The idea was to try and have the campaign feel very familiar to those that have played our past European Theater releases, i.e. similar timeline and number of units, but with a much larger map with more room to maneuver and so on.

So far in our opinion it has worked out really well in this regard, we are adjusting as necessary and likely to introduce a few new features to have it play just right, but the good thing is that in the end players can always make adjustments as they see fit via the Editor to suit their own personal tastes.

This release should really be a win-win for anyone that enjoys the European Theater (WWII) as well as for anyone that enjoys WWI :)

Thanks Alaric, much appreciated, and I hope you spread the word on this release as I think you are right in that it will probably be one of the finest WWII European Theater releases to date :)

best greetings, thanks you and the development team, in advance, of course, for make the perfect scenario for culminate, to date, the already good outstanding Strategic Command Series,

, just two things make me to worry, well, first, national morale or strategic will of russia, being a really big nation in territory and what damage will/may do the germans by turn to russia national morale, reaching near the leningrad-moscow-rostov axis of front (will be difficult to balance for all world war 2 games i can remember), and the d-day, once france is knock out, the AI opponent will have a difficult time returning to the main continent (this also can be said too about any and all world war 2 games with AI i can remember), again, not complaining on the game engine, is a problem related to any and all AI opponent/s in all world war 2 videogames, just was wanting to make a post to know how this is going to be adressed, in example a land loop from united states to britain and 3 land loops from britain to north france (may be too drastic or unrealistic), is just the AI, against a determined german defender, allways have a difficult time to coordinate a D-Day,

of course thanks again for any and all advice/info and for the work on this add-on,

the people from my region, spain, from [ punta de lanza ] forum/site are already "adviced" about this release, i dont need to make advice about it, for veterans of wargames and from veterans of my region is the new standard on world war 2 european theater, and some of they prefer a pure european theater of operations more than including the pacific theater,

have my best regards, and best of luck in balance for the best the scenario,

Alarick.

Hi Alaric

In the WWII campaign National Morale won't have the same really important role as it does in the WWI campaigns.

For example, capturing towns and cities in WWI is far more important to National Morale than it is in 1939 Storm over Europe, so Russia's NM won't fall by as much in 1939 Storm over Europe as it would in a 1914 campaign.

Generally, WWII was more about total conquest so we have modified the settings accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Bill

But National Moral should count in WW2 also, for these reasons:

1. Germany would have surrendered in 1944, but Hitler lived through the bomb explosion. Remember the reason they wanted to kill him was to end the war, but since he lived, it continued.

2. France surrendered because of the loss of National Moral when Paris fell even though she still had a good deal of her army still intact. After the losses they suffered in WW1, they did not want to suffer the same thing so the French government felt it was better to give up and lose a little bit of land versus suffering as many casulties as WW1. They just did not expect the Germans to occupy as much as they did.

3. Look how low Britian's moral was before Churchill was selected as Prime Minister. If they had kept Chamberlain as PM and the Germans had invaded, just how much fighting would the Brits have done ???

4. Russia, with Stalin in charge, did not let the Russians surrender (since his opinion was the only one that really counted), but if he had died in 1941, would they have thrown the Germans out like they did ???

5. Italy not only surrendered, but switched sides after only losing Lybia and Sicily due to loss of their national will.

Hi Alaric

In the WWII campaign National Morale won't have the same really important role as it does in the WWI campaigns.

For example, capturing towns and cities in WWI is far more important to National Morale than it is in 1939 Storm over Europe, so Russia's NM won't fall by as much in 1939 Storm over Europe as it would in a 1914 campaign.

Generally, WWII was more about total conquest so we have modified the settings accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Bill

thanks for the info and advice, i found it better this way, i think we still have the surrender fixed just when a % of the units are still alive, also, national morale, whatever it hits units' morale will still be a determinant factor in the game.

i prefer the total conquest setting for a world war 2 scenario, i want to mean,

thanks again for the info and the fast repply and with best regards,

Alarick.

I am very much looking forward to the new WW2 add-on. It looks like this will be a fantastic mod... and the fact that you guys are adding it as a free bonus (rather than selling it as an expansion, which would certainly be worth it) is pretty awesome. Thanks for all the hard work, can't wait until we get to try this out.

Dave

Panama Red,

National Morale WILL count, just not to the extent and in the way that it does in the WWI version of this game. This will be more apparent in time. ;)

best greetings, i just want to ask about if national morale is hard-coded, in example, if a scenario or mod dont have any National Morale Scripts, the units of each nation will suffer from a reduced from start NM?, i just want to know how that good feature works and how i have to adress it on my possible mods,

thanks in advance for any and all advice/info,

with best regards,

Alarick.

best greetings, i just want to ask about if national morale is hard-coded, in example, if a scenario or mod dont have any National Morale Scripts, the units of each nation will suffer from a reduced from start NM?, i just want to know how that good feature works and how i have to adress it on my possible mods,

thanks in advance for any and all advice/info,

with best regards,

Alarick.

It is hard coded but the actions from how NM is handled in game mostly all modifiable such as reducing the impact of capturing or losing resources to 0 as well as not including NM specific event scripts or VICTORY scripts, i.e. you can exclude the effect of NM reaching 0 from forcing the automatic victory in a game as we see in WWI.

Beyond that the unit combat effects on NM will still be in place but you can set a really high initial NM morale value to work around that such as 999,999 points etc.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Will it be better than the original campaigns?

I know I know silly question :) But I only just bought the game yesterday, and will start playing next week. I'm wondering if I should play the original campaigns or play this new one (assuming it's out by then).

It is hard coded but the actions from how NM is handled in game mostly all modifiable such as reducing the impact of capturing or losing resources to 0 as well as not including NM specific event scripts or VICTORY scripts, i.e. you can exclude the effect of NM reaching 0 from forcing the automatic victory in a game as we see in WWI.

Beyond that the unit combat effects on NM will still be in place but you can set a really high initial NM morale value to work around that such as 999,999 points etc.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

yes, it helps, perfect information and advice about what i was asking for, thanks for the repply, and the workaround, and yes, i almost give some extra National Morale to all the nations from start, i was also asking about it for modders to know it, as is an added variable to each scenario made in, best of luck with the settings on the upcoming campaign and have my best regards, the thing i like the most from official scenarios is the very good work with the scripts that the development team do,

best regards,

Alarick.

Will it be better than the original campaigns?

I know I know silly question :) But I only just bought the game yesterday, and will start playing next week. I'm wondering if I should play the original campaigns or play this new one (assuming it's out by then).

best greetings, i guess is a completely different campaign for the SC world war I engine, i want to mean that the stock campaigns are for world war I, there are two mods on the repository, one for world war 2, full war (with pacific theater) and another for european theater, world war 2, the add-on campaign will be about world war 2 too, but with the scripts for the scenario from the development team, that allways are the better/best in all subjects/scenarios/themes, all it making i think, the Strategic Command World War I game/engine the best of the series and perfect choice for gamers that like world war I or World War 2 period, scenarios, and games,

best regards and have good gaming,

Alarick.

Alaric... I think each SC game is unique and fun. I can tell you that so far the new WWII campaign is by far my favorite. It is currently under heavy and I mean heavy playtest... content is constantly being added and adjusted to get it to the right feel. Hubert and Bill really listen to the testers and are fun to work with. Due to the size of the map the strategic options for objectives are really amazing.

Here is an example: Due to the extremely large front sizes on the East Front... you at times usually over winter agonize on where your enemies next main offensive dirve will be... you can tease your opponent at times into thinking you are going to strike in one direction when you hit somewhere completely different or if you are on the defense you worry about how to blunt the enemy offensive and or keep units from becoming surrounded as you fall back.

There are times on the East Front where no one holds the advantage and you have to be extremely careful not to make a mistake that tips it in favor of your opponent.

North Africa has a lot more fighting room... and the battle for the Med has much greater significance. Losing Italy can be catastrophic for Germany. On the other hand if Italy and Germany win control of the Med... very possible... the Allies can quickly get into trouble.

Great fun so far and with each week the game improves. :)