Demo won't start

Hi, I played the tutorial mission on the demo, then exited from the game. About half an hour later I decided to play the game again, but when trying to connect to the game, it wouldn't start. I had the screen with the option to Buy or Play. I hit the Play button, and all that happened was that the same screen came back up minus the play option, in other words, only the Buy option was then available, and the game doesn't start.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Won't even load for me. When I try to run the demo, it crashes immediately and I get the "CM Normandy Demo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. I never get to any load screens or anything like that. I tried it with two different downloads (the Filefactory and the German one, both at 571 MB), both of which seem to install without issues. I tried it with the 11.2 catalyst drivers and then installed the 11.5 ones. I tried it with all anti-virus and firewall software turned off. No luck.

I use XP 32 bit and CMSF with modules works fine on my system. However, I seem to recall having some problems with SF back in the day, but I can't quite remember what the issue or fix was. I did a search at the SF technical forum, but I'm not sure what i'm looking for. Maybe it had something to do with the videos running as the game started up - does anyone remember an issue like that?

Any help would be appreciated.

"The game has repeatedly terminated itself for me. Go into options and touch a drop down menu, boom its gone. Load the tutorial quick battle and right after having read all the data, it crashes again."#

Same game for me. ATI 5770.

Hi, I played the tutorial mission on the demo, then exited from the game. About half an hour later I decided to play the game again, but when trying to connect to the game, it wouldn't start. I had the screen with the option to Buy or Play. I hit the Play button, and all that happened was that the same screen came back up minus the play option, in other words, only the Buy option was then available, and the game doesn't start.

Sounds like what came up was the EXIT screen (that you see every time when you exit the game).

Won't even load for me. When I try to run the demo, it crashes immediately and I get the "CM Normandy Demo.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

Doesn't sound like an issue with the intro video, because that's not the first thing that runs. The first thing that runs is the intro splash screen, and that is basically just a simple HTML page. You do need Internet Explorer for that to show up (for the PC version only).

Another thing to check always these days is if your anti-virus or other security software isn't interfering with the demo launch. The demo is encrypted, so depending on your settings, it may trigger a false positive. Note also that the demo (and full game) won't work if you are using a VirtualMachine. Some AV programs virtualize your PC, and the game/demo won't run.

"The game has repeatedly terminated itself for me. Go into options and touch a drop down menu, boom its gone. Load the tutorial quick battle and right after having read all the data, it crashes again."#

Same game for me. ATI 5770.

With ATI cards, you HAVE to have the "ATI Compatibility" setting in the Options enabled, otherwise you will get crashes when you click. The compatibility setting is required to work around a bug in ATI drivers related to mouse clicks.

With ATI cards, you HAVE to have the "ATI Compatibility" setting in the Options enabled, otherwise you will get crashes when you click. The compatibility setting is required to work around a bug in ATI drivers related to mouse clicks.

Thanks for the answer, moon. I had this enabled (on) and have then opted for vertical synchronization. The moment i clicked it, the game crashed.

Oh... and there are also a few known ATI driver issues that can cause a crash. The one I know of for certain is related to so called "legacy" Radeon cards, but you seem to be using a newer one, so I dunno. Ian, our resident hardware/driver guru, may be able to help.

Sounds like what came up was the EXIT screen (that you see every time when you exit the game)..

Well that's also an issue, as when the demo closes down, I don't get an EXIT screen, I just get a black screen, and have to Ctrl+alt+del to get out of it. I then have to reboot to get the demo to start up again.

I seem to be having the same problems as Athkatla. When I first ran the demo I tried out the training tutorial and all was well. After a few minutes of play I exited and checked out the map editor and when I entered 3D mode, textures were messed up or missing. Entered the training mission again and textures were messed up or missing. When I exited the program, I had a black screen, had to Ctrl Alt Del to exit.

Now when I try to play again it won't start up, I just get the option to buy screen.

Computer specs...I5 quad core, 2.66Ghz, ATI 5770, 4 megs ram

That's odd, but it sounds like an interference from an anti-virus or security program to me. Check your anti-virus settings and make sure that it's not blocking the launch of the game (if it does, then I could imagine the symptoms to be exactly like you describe: click on play, game is terminated by AV software, exit screen shows up).

Adding the executable to your "Safe program list" or "Whitelist" should help in that regard.

I tried disabling the Norton AV and firewall too...no change. When I click on the play now button, the little spinning circle shows up for a few seconds, the desktop icons blink on and off and then i get the option to buy now screen. It's strange that it worked perfectly the first time I fired it up but now I cant get it to load.

I am using some older 10.11 ATI drivers. Could that make a difference?

I think there is an exit problem with the main executable.

I did experience the effect that I couldn't start the game again, after having saved a game.

Then I discovered that there was still a large process named CombatMissionNormandy or something in memory, that prevented a new instance to start.

When I kill that hanging process, I can start the demo again fine.

Everything else runs fine, except, like I said, the exit. Might be connected to the nag screen process that is shown afterwards.

No firewall or anti-virus here, I do use an ATI card, recent one, but I disabled the ATI fix configuration setting, because the game (CMSF, CMA) runs much better without it.

(thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission by the way)

Updating the ATI drivers is usually a good idea in any case, but if it worked the first time, it's odd that it wouldn't work a second time.

"Disabling" Norton is not as easy as you may think. There are all sorts of plugins and toolbars etc. that may still be active even if you "disable" Norton. Putting the game into the "whitelist" is probably better than trying to disable the AV.

There are no known anti-virus issues with the game (we have tested against 40 or so of the major providers), but there is always a remaining risk of false positives from all those (usually crappy and useless) add-ons you sometimes get shoved down your throat.

Martin

Hi Erik,

thanks for the info. Yes, if, after exiting, the game process continues to run, then it will fail when you try to launch it a second time. You have to manually terminate that process first.

There is no exit problem with the executable itself (or everyone would be having this issue), but rather it seems to be a problem with a specific Windows setup. What OS are you running? Is it Win7-64bit by chance?