* CPU: Intel® Mobile Core i7 2630QM

* RAM: 8192 MB DDR3 1333MHz

* HDD: (2)500GB 7200RPM XT

* CD: DVD±R/RW / CDRW

* Wireless: Built In WIFI & Bluetooth

REALtek audio

windows 7 64

All stock

updated driver reinstalled in a different folder disable MSE.

still crash on launch. I can ge to the 1st screen but wont start when i tick play now. It won't "play now" :(

also it never started

I've got similar situation !

HELP

*Model: Dell Studio

*System: win7 64bit

*Graphic card: Radeon HD5470

*CPU: Intel® Mobile Core i3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game will not start. I get an error message saying "could not initialize graphic display card" require 1024 x 768 32 bit." I edited and saved the graphics text file to 1920 1080 60 which is my recommended monitor resolution as outlined in your website. I still get a crash with the same error message.

Will the actual game eliminate the need for editing a text file for display?

I have preordered this game. What is the refund policy should I not be able to get this game to work?

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 930 2.8 ghz quad core

ASUS P6T motherboard

6 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5850 2D with these specs

Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112964C-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 11.2

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123

Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2010.0930.2237.38732

Demo doesn't start in my W7 i7 ATI Radeon 5730.

There is something with Combat Mission demos and my machine. I could never run CMA's demo, but the full CMA game ran from day one without a hitch.

Waiting for the release, then.

Game will not start. I get an error message saying "could not initialize graphic display card" require 1024 x 768 32 bit." I edited and saved the graphics text file to 1920 1080 60 which is my recommended monitor resolution as outlined in your website. I still get a crash with the same error message.

Will the actual game eliminate the need for editing a text file for display?

I have preordered this game. What is the refund policy should I not be able to get this game to work?

Windows 7 64 bit

i7 930 2.8 ghz quad core

ASUS P6T motherboard

6 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5850 2D with these specs

Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112964C-ATI

Catalyst™ Version 11.2

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123

Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524

Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2010.0930.2237.38732

This problem was reported in CMSF and there is a reported solution:

linky

You might also try playing at a lower resolution. Not ideal if that is your monitor's native res but might get you going.

My expereince is:

Turned off Norton -downloaded-and started DEMO. No problem.

Exited DEMO and turned on Norton-tried to start DEMo- Problem - would not start.

Turned off Norton-Demo still would not start.

Deleted Demo - turned off Norton. Re-installed -works OK-No problem.

I think there is a problem the Demo and Norton even after a sucessful install. Demo runs only when Norton is turned off. If you run the Demo with Norton turned on..you need to delete the demo and re-install (Norton must always be turned off before starting the Demo).

Can't explain why... but this is my experience. Hope it helps.

I've followed all the suggestions on here- including things like turning off my Avast AV before installing and playing, I've tried installing in the default position, Programx86, and so many other options.

I've spent hours just trying to get the thing to play- I've got so many games and they all work without a problem. I just can't think of even one more thing I could try...

My problem, as described on page 1 of this thread, seems identical to KG_Jag's and Kong's. I even tried installing the demo on my brother's comp, also running Win XP SP3 32 bits, also with all anti-virus and firewall software entirely switched off (confirmed in the task manager), with the same result. The program shows up for half a secon in the task manager, but then crashes. No load screen.

The obvious common denominator in these cases is the OS. Can anyone running XP SP3 32 bit confirm having gotten the demo to run? 'Cause, having pre-ordered, I'm starting to get worried...

I can run the demo no problem, when i exit the demo there are no processes left over from the demo running in task manager and i end up back to desktop with no issues everything seems fine. However, when i try to run the demo again it will show up in task manager for a split second only and wont display the first splash screen where you would choose "buy now" or "play". If i restart my machine then run the demo it works again without a hitch, i just always need to restart the PC first.

XP32/C2D/Nvidia/Avg

I found my problem. KG_Jag's turning off some of his software prompted me to consider what might be an issue. So I turned off Process Explorer and voila, CM:BN Demo fired right up.

Process Explorer is a better version of Windows Task Manager, it was independently created and then purchased by Microsoft. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Imo Process Explorer is not technically a security or firewall program but it is monitoring the Windows environment.

Laughin, fixed it for me too, tried turning off anti virus ect no luck, process explorer was the fiend, solved :D

I think there is an exit problem with the main executable.

I did experience the effect that I couldn't start the game again, after having saved a game.

Then I discovered that there was still a large process named CombatMissionNormandy or something in memory, that prevented a new instance to start.

When I kill that hanging process, I can start the demo again fine.

I have the same demo behavior as Erik.

My specs:

WinXP SP3

Radeon HD 6850

Intel E6600

Kaspersky AV/Outpost Firewall

Demo still won't start. i went in to task manager and disabled almost everything and it still doesn't launch. I installed CMA demo and that doesn't launch either. So I'm guessing its issues with my laptop. My Asus laptop comes package with a lot of software for "tweaking" So its conflicting with something. Did anyone else with a Asus gaming laptop get the demo to launch? luckily i have a ht/gaming desktop with win 7 64 and it runs fine. I just won't be mobile with this game. aka i cant play at work :(

"Then I discovered that there was still a large process named CombatMissionNormandy or something in memory, that prevented a new instance to start."

This is my problem. I'm on Vista 32 bit. Demo will start again when this process is ended.

lookeylou - what do you have running on your Asus laptop ? We've seen issues with the utility Process Explorer (just shutting it down and not using it while trying to run the demo should work). Other security software may also prove problematic since they may "probe" in particular ways that causes the DRM system in the demo to shutdown.

lookeylou - a "host file" as in a file for DNS lookups ? No, I don't think that should affect the game at all (at least the demo). The 'probing' I'm speaking of is something that some debuggers, utilities and security software may do to look at the system and what is happening (or prevent certain things from occurring in the case of security software). You mentioned "tweaking" software, but I assume that may be hardware/overclock-oriented rather than 'software exploring' type to look at the software state of your system.

The CMA demo doesn't use any DRM software (though the full game does). CMA uses eLicense while the demo (to a limited extent) and the full game of CMBN uses our new DRM called 'Online Activation System'. It supposedly has less issues than eLicense (and has a Mac version - which is important to us).

CMA and CMBN do share the core of the CMx2 OpenGL engine (along with CMSF).

You are correct. the software packaged is tuned to overclocking and tweaking. I thought maybe it was fighting for access to the video card or something, because of the crashing. I tried everything, so was reaching. I did try removing the host file(FYI) but the only thing that did was bring back ads on youtube :(

I shut down everything one by one in task manager and tried to launch until i shut down my pc. I did find out one thing that may be of help or not. the user account control pop up in wind 7, that asks do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer? doesn't pop up when i launch CMBN. it does for every other game that i try to run. the demo goes straight into the 1st splash screen and when i tick play now the game crashes. just find it interesting that the demo launches at all without the user account control popup.

That's all i got. I still can play it on my other comp so its not too big of a deal. i would just like to know if anyone else with a higher end asus gaming laptop can play the demo.

If anyone figures out a way to get the cmbn demo to load and work in steam (under "add a non steam game to my library") let me know.

I've got other CM titles loaded successfully which allows easy communication w/ others on steam making it possible to set up games on the fly as it were.

I suspect this front end thingy that's tacked on when you start up and close the demo is what's jacking things up, so ultimately it won't matter I suspect with the full version.

But just on the off chance someone figured out how to make this work, thought I'd throw it in here, since the behavior of the error is similar to what some are seeing when it won't load straight up, which is to say, you can hit the play button from steam, the window for play now or buy now comes up, and then when you play, screen goes black as if loading, then an MS window comes up saying CM Normandy Demo has stop working and then it bombs out.

A friend of mine had to wipe PC Tools Threatfire from his Win 7 64. After that the demo ran just fine. Prior, with Threatfire installed - no go.

And yes, you have to deinstall it , turning it off doesnt help ...

Thank you Scheer.

Had the same problem, on XP.

Turning off didn't work, had tried that.

Deinstall, reboot, one happy puppy.

I owe you a beer.

=====