Demo won't start

That was it! After killing the process in task manager, the demo seemed to run fine. I do seem to have a problem closing the game...I have to open task manager and end the game and then close the process every time. But it's working :) I am running Windows 7 64 bit too.

Thanks for the help Erik and Moon.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get the demo to run at all on my iMac 2.8 i7, 4 GB RAM, 4850 graphics. I have reinstalled it twice and made sure that I have copied the game over to the applications folder.

This is the error information I get:

Process: CMBN [286]

Path: /Applications/Combat Mission Battle for Normandy Mac DEMO.app/Contents/MacOS/CMBN

Identifier: com.battlefront.CMBN

Version: 1.0 (1)

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [108]

Date/Time: 2011-05-12 11:32:21.450 -0400

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 576612 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 9

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 48 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9

Anonymous UUID: 37498326-9389-4E44-913A-474FABBDC34D

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Not seeing anything pop-up, not running AV or Security. I did not install it in the default directory the first time. I've since tried re-installing numerous times.

What is the Activation doing? Could you tell me what Windows Services are required?

I am at work right now, so can't check anything, but thought I'd pass along an idea that may help.

I run Win7 64 bit, and have found that 32 bit apps have all sorts of problems if you run them from the "Programs" folder, make sure that you have the demo installed to the "Programs x86" folder at the very least. I have some (generally older) apps that will only run right if I put them in the "Program Data" folder. Win7 does some funky things with programs in the "Programs" folder, as it is expecting them to be x64 apps, as well as some internal security stuff that can really mess things up. If you do move the application folder, don't forget to delete your old shortcut and create a new one using send to desktop, changing the pointer in the old shortcut doesn't work well, best to make a new one to avoid other hassles.

When I get home and do the install, I will be installing to the x86 folder from the start, just out of habit, and will see how it goes.

The demo will not start on my Dell XP desk top machine. At the end of the install, where you click finish and start demo, it drops to desktop. Trying to start the demo with the shortcut or executable in the game file does not work either. I have played CMSF [Paradox version] and the CMA demo with no problems on this same computer (even tried the CMA demo last night after the problem and it still works). A reboot did not help. A reinstall (from different downloaded versions of the demo, as well as the original) did not work.

The same demo download installed and worked fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

Faelwolf - actually the default install directory for the Demo is the '\Users' directory. You can redirect it to a different directory, but that is the default. We did it to avoid issues with UAC (User Account Control) security in Windows Vista and Windows 7 and all of the elevated permissions necessary to operate out of that directory. Most of our programs in the past would install to the '\Program Files' directory. I'm not sure if the 64-bit versions of Windows would automatically redirect installs headed for '\Program Files' to '\Program Files (x86)', but that is definitely possible.

KG_Jag - That seems to be a bit of a reversal with most problems - Windows 7 being fine, but Windows XP having issues. Are you using any security software on your Windows XP computer ? If so, what are you running ? Have you disabled it temporarily ?

KG_Jag - That seems to be a bit of a reversal with most problems - Windows 7 being fine' date= but Windows XP having issues. Are you using any security software on your Windows XP computer ? If so, what are you running ? Have you disabled it temporarily ?

I use the free versions of Online Armor and Avast. I did not disable either.

My problem, as described on page 1 of this thread, seems identical to KG_Jag's and Kong's. I even tried installing the demo on my brother's comp, also running Win XP SP3 32 bits, also with all anti-virus and firewall software entirely switched off (confirmed in the task manager), with the same result. The program shows up for half a secon in the task manager, but then crashes. No load screen.

The obvious common denominator in these cases is the OS. Can anyone running XP SP3 32 bit confirm having gotten the demo to run? 'Cause, having pre-ordered, I'm starting to get worried...

I had the same problem, the game gave an error as soon I clicked on the menu.

For those with an ATI card, try to open Catalyst Control Center and go to "Gaming". Disable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing, Triple buffering end Catalist AI, leave all other options to "Use application settings".

It solved the problem for me.

Was able to install the demo and run it with Online Armor and Avast both turned off. Upon reboot and turning both back on, demo would not run unless I turned off Online Armor. When the demo ran at that point, it would not respond to the "minimize" command (alt-tab).

I think there is an exit problem with the main executable.

I did experience the effect that I couldn't start the game again, after having saved a game.

Then I discovered that there was still a large process named CombatMissionNormandy or something in memory, that prevented a new instance to start.

When I kill that hanging process, I can start the demo again fine.

Everything else runs fine, except, like I said, the exit. Might be connected to the nag screen process that is shown afterwards.

No firewall or anti-virus here, I do use an ATI card, recent one, but I disabled the ATI fix configuration setting, because the game (CMSF, CMA) runs much better without it.

(thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission by the way)

Ah HA! Well done sir, that solved my problem.

Thanks.

Joe

Was able to install the demo and run it with Online Armor and Avast both turned off. Upon reboot and turning both back on, demo would not run unless I turned off Online Armor. When the demo ran at that point, it would not respond to the "minimize" command (alt-tab).

I don't know what "Online Armor" is but it sounds like one of those virtualization packages. Norton and Kasperksy have one of these, too. As per the Readme and min. specs: The game (nor demo) will not work in a virtualized environment. So you will have to shut this off in order to play, or somehow exempt it.

Virtualization can be used for many things but too often is used for hacking or circumventing the user license, and hence it is actively not supported.

demo won't start.

* Model: Asus G73JH-A1 gaming laptop

* CPU: Intel® Mobile Core i7 2630QM

* RAM: 8192 MB DDR3 1333MHz

* HDD: (2)500GB 7200RPM XT

* CD: DVD±R/RW / CDRW

* Wireless: Built In WIFI & Bluetooth

REALtek audio

windows 7 64

All stock

updated driver reinstalled in a different folder disable MSE.

still crash on launch. I can ge to the 1st screen but wont start when i tick play now. It won't "play now" :(

also it never started

It worked just fine on one of my kids XP 32 machines. I do some Services tweaking on my rig, but I checked those out and played with some and I don't believe that is the issue. I use Opera as my primary browser, but do use IE regularly for select sites. I have not tweaked IE at all. Moon, I'm open to suggestions.

Lars, CMSF works fine on my PC, I'm guessing this is a Demo issue. Thinking positive about the full version working on my PC.

I found my problem. KG_Jag's turning off some of his software prompted me to consider what might be an issue. So I turned off Process Explorer and voila, CM:BN Demo fired right up.

Process Explorer is a better version of Windows Task Manager, it was independently created and then purchased by Microsoft. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Imo Process Explorer is not technically a security or firewall program but it is monitoring the Windows environment.

Hi Kong,

that's very interesting! Our demo IS secured against hackers. Part of this security means that it resists various types of code injections (some anti-virus software does that type of thing), debuggers and similar tools which could be used to crack it. We'll look into it but it is possible that Process Explorer tries to explore a little bit too much of this particular process ;) and therefore the game shuts down.

Thanks, that's a nice find!

Martin