Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Best CM graphics card for notebooks?

My notebook (dell with ATI radeon) died, so now I'm in the market for something good enough to be able to play CMX2 as well as give me fog (oh how I miss the fog!) in the current games.

Any recommendations? I'm thinking about the Toshiba Qosmio - they have NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5700. Are they good for CM?

Are all ATI cards incapable of fog?

Has anyone got integrated graphics capable of displaying fog?

Looking forward to your answers!

Thanks

All ATI cards (desktop & mobile) are incapable of displaying fog-tables in DirectX for CM's purposes. It's actually a driver issue and ATI has stated their reluctance to support fog-tables in DirectX.

The GeForce FX Go 5700 should be fine for the current CM series and probably quite sufficient for CMx2 (as a guess). However it is hard to say for certain what will be a good videocard that will support all the graphical options within CMx2 with decent speed. Higher-end ATI's may support all of the features of CMx2 (but not the current CM series). However if CMx2 is an OpenGL-based title, then NVidia's more mature and better performing OpenGL drivers may make it the better choice.

The Toshiba Satellite M40 (model PSM40C-YP300E) has the Nvidia GeForce Go 6600 PCI-E w/ 128 MB SDRAM as an option. That would be an even better choice regarding video (and Centrino & Pentium M options) - with a potential price tag of US$1600+ well loaded. However I don't know what its battery longevity really is (stated as 2h:45m with standard Li-ion battery) or other quality issues (display brightness, etc.).

Assuming you have the budget, and battery life isn't too great a worry, then look for laptops with the GeForce Go 6600 or 6800 series in them. Those would probably be the best "future-proof" graphics options at this point for CMx2. The GeForce Go 6200 & 6400 Turbo-Cache models may support the graphical features of CMx2, but they probably won't have the best performance (but they may be a bit better than the Go 5700 - likely since they'll often be married to a higher performing CPU).

[ August 04, 2005, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]