Why game developers always launch different versions for US and European market?

Korben

I have always wondered why many game developers always launch different versions for US and European market? Are these version different. Somekind of censorship? Too much sex for US people - too much violence for Euro people? Or is it just because of small differencies in US english and UK english?

:eek:

Originally posted by Korben:

I have always wondered why many game developers always launch different versions for US and European market? Are these version different. Somekind of censorship?

Partly it is language support and partly it is to do with legal restrictions in Germany on the display of nazi insignia esp swastikas. I notice that after the 1.01 patch that 'Waffen Grenadiers' seem to have turned into SS though;)

Cheers

Martin

Originally posted by Korben:

I have always wondered why many game developers always launch different versions for US and European market? Are these version different. Somekind of censorship? Too much sex for US people - too much violence for Euro people? Or is it just because of small differencies in US english and UK english?

:eek:

None of that, it's just a $$$$ affair : there are different publishers in USA and Europe, game devs have agreement with them for exclusive distribution in their area, and the "best" way they have found to enforce this is to make "different" versions ... but that are in fact exactly the same functionality-wise (except localization) !. Summum of stupidity is reached with UK version indeed :rolleyes: ...

It's the same thing with DVDs for example.

The case with CMBB has been complicated by the fact that CDV is german and wanted to avoid complications with Nazi insignias, so we had some different textures in European version, because CDV decided to have only 1 European version ($$$$ again !).

Is that clear ? Business rulez !