Rather sterile graphics....

I wonder how often Gunzel and those like him play games he bought in 2001.

I remember playing the really basic demo for CMBO when i got it with Macworld eleven years ago and poor as the graphics were it was the game play that got me.

I must have tried five or six different strategies and each of those five or six times before I even got the full game.

If you think the graphics in CMBN don't look great have a look at chess... a black and white board of squares and only 32 pieces and half of them are all the same.

I tell you with eye candy as poor as that Chess will never last.....

Peter.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the look of CMSF and CMBN myself...superb graphics for a true wargame...

Aye, it ain't DX11 and it doesn't have fancy effects, but it looks real, real nice :)

Truly a testament to the fact you can make something look awesome with the right combination of textures and careful colour work.

I cant believe this thread has gone this long. CMBN is the ultimate war simulation. anyone who has ever played counters, hex based and abstracted and top down war sims always dreamed of such a day.

those that are trying to compare this game to something else in the market today is making a mistake. there is no 1:1 war sim out there. unless you compare cmbn to cmsf. that's it.

the only comparison you can make is the time in history or locations.

BF please release the game already.

What I think throws a lot of people new to the game is that it is a command game rather than a control game.

Most FPS or RPG games you control units and micro manage. sometimes its just your avatar or character others its armies.

But in CM you give orders .. You are in command but not actually in control. In this respect it is probably closer to Roman Total War or Shogun in that you command a force.

So from a marketing perspective that is probably the type of game to go with.

Equally even though fewer and fewer magazines are out there a free demo of a disc can reach a wide audience. I first saw the game on a Mac magazine disc and the same again would probably be worth the effort.

Peter.

IIRC, it was in response to some asshat who opinioned out his orifice about how wonderful the Wehrmacht were. The quote went something like "Having lived over Jim's Biker Bar in Lower Manhatten for several years in the mid-80's I feel qualified to comment on the German Army", or something like that (etwas wie das?). I think Andreas had it in his sigline for a while.

OH! That guy! I remember him now. And yes, someone had that as a sigline for a long time.

Steve

I cant believe this thread has gone this long. CMBN is the ultimate war simulation. anyone who has ever played counters, hex based and abstracted and top down war sims always dreamed of such a day.

those that are trying to compare this game to something else in the market today is making a mistake. there is no 1:1 war sim out there. unless you compare cmbn to cmsf. that's it.

the only comparison you can make is the time in history or locations.

BF please release the game already.

You also need to know the mentality of todays gamers for the most part..they have *never played a simulation anything like this, they come from the *shooter game world with massive graphics and graphic cards or xbox360 types,zero substance but lot's a smoke unlike this:

http://youtu.be/oT1WeuNthW0

+1

Though I plan on spending most of my time with CMBN, I am also excited about PCO - mainly because I am more interested in the Eastern Front than I am the Normandy Campaign.

Think we should be thankful both games are availabe. And yea, the OP sure seems to be a real loser.

I'm also looking forward to owning both, I don't mind a change of pace with different implementations and look forward to having both fronts available to enjoy ... tactical WW II is my preference, I sure do appreciate the efforts of those giving me options. :)

I'm not that bothered about graphics, if a game 'grabs' me my imagination fills in the blanks. Loved Tac-ops and played it regularly, loved the SOP option, the fact that recce units were not just cannon fodder and found the basic graphics more than adequate. The trouble was the terrain was too basic so it sits on my hard drive gathering dust, the demo for BCT likewise sits abandoned as it was just too damn hard with a clunky interface. So, for me, graphics are well down the list, does the game approximate the challenges a real commander would have, is the lead criteria.

If PCO allows me a more accurate portrayal of Eastern Front combat, than CM:BB, it will be bought, my only other option is to wait 4-5 years for BF to get around to do it.

Thanks Elmar for finding the original quote and poster. I should have read down a little further before my last post :D

Steve

Well, I remember you all the same Steve :)

Actually I was notably involved in a debate on tattooed bikers in bars, though not topless and not in Manhattan, thus Jon's and Michaels memories remain excellent. I scarcely think that solidly off-topic debate ever made it out of the inglorious General Forum, but it was rather amusing nonetheless. I seem to recall a Mr Dorosh being a partner in crime here. But I might be mistaken - as Jon pointed out it's been six years.

What I actualy wrote to say was - Thanks for sending me my original Dandelion profile, I really appreciate it. The only thing I have from that year that will still fit me :)

Regards

Dandelion

Well, I remember you all the same Steve :)

Actually I was notably involved in a debate on tattooed bikers in bars, though not topless and not in Manhattan, thus Jon's and Michaels memories remain excellent. I scarcely think that solidly off-topic debate ever made it out of the inglorious General Forum, but it was rather amusing nonetheless. I seem to recall a Mr Dorosh being a partner in crime here. But I might be mistaken - as Jon pointed out it's been six years.

What I actualy wrote to say was - Thanks for sending me my original Dandelion profile, I really appreciate it. The only thing I have from that year that will still fit me :)

Regards

Dandelion

I thought it was about the use of motorcycle scouts by the German army?

Six years...damn.