What were your computer specs when you first purchased CM?

I was just thinking how much more powerful my computer is now than when I purchased CM:BO back in 2000.

I preordered the game back in September '99 and hadn't upgraded my computer by the time CM:BO shipped in June. My computer specs:

AMD K6-2 350

Super Socket 7 motherboard (don't remember manufacturer)

32 MB (maybe 64 MB) 100 MHz SDRAM

Matrox Mystique 8MB (probably the G200 with SDRAM)

8 GB Western Digital HDD

CD-ROM drive (4x, I believe, my first one)

14" monitor (ancient monitor that was new in '92)

I was using a Mac clone (this was back when Apple was licensing the OS to other manufacturers for a while) purchased I think in '97. I can't recall the brand name, but it used the 604e Motorola chip. Don't recall the other specs either, but I was using a 14" monitor. In 2001 I moved up to a proper G4 in time for CMBB.

Michael

I was just thinking how much more powerful my computer is now than when I purchased CM:BO back in 2000.

I preordered the game back in September '99 and hadn't upgraded my computer by the time CM:BO shipped in June. My computer specs:

AMD K6-2 350

Super Socket 7 motherboard (don't remember manufacturer)

32 MB (maybe 64 MB) 100 MHz SDRAM

Matrox Mystique 8MB (probably the G200 with SDRAM)

8 GB Western Digital HDD

CD-ROM drive (4x, I believe, my first one)

14" monitor (ancient monitor that was new in '92)

Wow! Great question. For me that was just 3 machines ago in about 2003-4. All I really remember about it is that the fans never worked well, the motherboard had to be replaced by a expert from the factory and I installed XP on it and went to a flat screen monitor. I think it had fairly substantial specs for the period, but I have no idea what they might have been.

Snap - Umax Pulsar http://lowendmac.com/supermacs/s900.shtml with 19" CRT for DTP but it was crap at handling CMBO so forked out £1700 for a G4 450 Dual and an aftermarket ATI 32mb Radeon - Happy days!

Now got a PPC G5 for work-a-day stuff and a £340 PC Gaming rig with a USB Switcher/Hub for Formac 20" LCD.

I was using a Mac clone (this was back when Apple was licensing the OS to other manufacturers for a while) purchased I think in '97. I can't recall the brand name, but it used the 604e Motorola chip. Don't recall the other specs either, but I was using a 14" monitor. In 2001 I moved up to a proper G4 in time for CMBB.

Michael

Michael

Power Computing?

Mine was a spiffy 400Mhz (AGP) G4 tower with a massive ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16MB of VRAM and a nice 17" CRT monitor.

Power Computing?

Mine was a spiffy 400Mhz (AGP) G4 tower with a massive ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16MB of VRAM and a nice 17" CRT monitor.

That was pretty much my specs (Gateway machine w/ATI gpu added). I still laugh (and by laugh, I mean cry) that I spent something like $1800 on that system).

Pretty sure I upgraded immediately and specifically for CMBO, and I think that was my first system that I custom-built. Sadly I didn't know about the infamous "no fog" issue with ATI until after I'd already bought another one of their cards.

I think that reason alone is why I've been exclusively and nVidia gpu user ever since :)

A reb B iMac, 233mhz processor, 6mb of vram, 64mb of RAM and a 6 gb of hard disc space. I later upgraded to a MDD G4 Powermac with dual 877mhz processors, a 64mb graphics card and 1 gb of RAM.

Once I upgraded I could play nearly any of the scenarios. With the iMac not so much...

Can't remember...as I started off building my own I was always upgrading bits and pieces overtime....

Still I do know I've never bought top of the range parts for my PC's as as someone has stated they cry at the amount of money they spent on the machine...well if your still buying top range you will be crying with what you have spent now in ten years time...those who try and have the best PC all the time without realsiing it's a big waste of money must have more money than sense...I try and get the third from top as the price difference is amazing and you still have hardware that will last as long as the top range..

LJF the only thing I'd upgrade on your system is maybe a graphic card...though I wouldn't worry about this partiular game as I have a similar rig and play CMSF on highest except I have shadows off as they don't look to good...

HerOberst..if you have to upgrade I'd say a new graphics card...the rest is fine...