Is this the game for seniors?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assembly year 1963 here.

The closest I got to board games was Colditz and Stratego.

When I bought my first PC in the mid nineties I was looking for WW I & II flight sims, but then I found in a sales rack a french version of Talonsoft's Ardennes 1944. It had already 3D hex maps and I loved the intro movies.

When I stumbled into the CMBO demo, I was of course immediately hooked and I admit that CM:1 series consumed more then a healthy proportion of my spare time. The addiction faded away, but just like with all drugs, the urge is still lingering around, probably waiting to strike again when CM:Ardennes comes out.

I hope, I will have retired by that time :-)

A lot of guys here got started with Squad Leader. I still have my "Purple Box" Squad Leader. I think Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron was the pinnacle of tactical gaming...Until now.

It is a very good think I am not in college as I was when Squad Leader and the first couple expansions came out. Instead of loosing a grade level or so I would probably be bounced out on my head. (Or be forced to take up a "Studies...." major.) :)

A lot of guys here got started with Squad Leader

Oddly I played Firefight before Squad Leader and liked it a lot more.

Quality wise their was no comparison in game feel; SL had hard backed maps great graphics and counters and a much larger set of rules but for all that complexity I still felt it was a dog of a game. It just didn't flow for me.

FF had a basic map on paper blue and red counters and a simple set of rules, but it flowed with alternate firing and then movement and simple to use but effective artillery.

Alternating fire was the closest thing you could get to flow without writing orders you could get and it felt more natural than one side fires everything and then moves everything while you sit and watch.

In FF you reacted to events far more so that the different turns seemed to blend into each other and you could see who was winning at any point rather than just at the end of a full move.

There was also no cheating... I never like the fact that in SL a hex looked like it was 30ft when it actually represent more than ten times that. It was the kind of fudge I didn't like.

I fell in Love with CMBO almost at once because it offered the flow and realistic ranges of firefight and the texture of SL. WEGO overcame the problems inherent in SL because the system did the reacting for you and all the hard work on LOS and targeting leaving you free to do the bit that mattered coming up with a plan and commanding your force.

Peter.

I never like the fact that in SL a hex looked like it was 30ft when it actually represent more than ten times that. It was the kind of fudge I didn't like.

The hexes were 40 meters wide, and yes it sucked in many ways. The SL mapboards were a bad joke. It was really sad to see them put so much labor into trying to make a game work that was so terribly flawed in its very fundamentals.

I fell in Love with CMBO almost at once because it offered the flow and realistic ranges of firefight and the texture of SL. WEGO overcame the problems inherent in SL because the system did the reacting for you and all the hard work on LOS and targeting leaving you free to do the bit that mattered coming up with a plan and commanding your force.

Exactly.

Michael

Ah, to each their own. When I first saw SL I had never seen anything like it. As the designer designed for effect it did fudge but I never had another game that so captured my imagination. I can still remember 34 years later much of those first scenarios, Guards Counterattack, Battle for the Factory et al. After Cross of Iron the rules piled to the sky and became work and other games crossed my desk over the years.

I hope and expect to have the same feeling I had for those amazing days as I explore CM:BN

My first war game was 3-D, circa 1960. I was around 6 at that time.

I had a mobile, model tank (modeled after the Pershing, IIRC) that ran on D batteries via wire control... moved forward, reverse, turned and fired plastic ammo. I'd line the jerries up a la Pickett's charge and fire the full loadout (three). The ones that didn't die from fire were overrun :D

Later, I "graduated" to just about all that AH had to offer, starting with Blitzkrieg all the way up through SL and ASL. There were a few SPI games in there as well. Unfortunately, there were no others locally that shared my passion so I wound up pushing the cardboard around by myself.

Been lurking (witness my post count) around the forums since '99, joined in '01. I've owned and played many computer games... CM is the one that keeps bringing me back.

Now, please release this game! :)

at 63 i find 1st person shooter types to be too much for this plodding oldster, but CMBN is more like Chess.. only more fun - w/ 1000s options & outcomes. Perfect for playing by mail if you're not in a hurry, or real time, if you have the time/opponent. Go get it ~ let me know when you're ready to PBEM :)

at 63 i find 1st person shooter types to be too much for this plodding oldster, but CMBN is more like Chess.. only more fun - w/ 1000s options & outcomes. Perfect for playing by mail if you're not in a hurry, or real time, if you have the time/opponent. Go get it ~ let me know when you're ready to PBEM :)

Yeah! As a kid, I had plenty of time to spend on board and computer games, but as I got older, it was hard to find the long stretches of time to plunge into something. That's why I love the WEGO of CM. I can fit a battle into many individual time periods.

Even before I first saw an SPI game I used to play with 1:35 scale Tamaya models.

I think that is another thing that is embedded because even now one of my favourites is Tigers v Shermans.

It's still a classic quantity over quality match up with Mobility trying to overcome Protection.

I also suffer from a bad habit of taking my armour in to close and losing guys assaulting tanks, but when you war is fought on an 8'x4' sheet of ply that works out at less than 100 yards by 50 yards at that scale you kind of get used to not engaging at range and running into tanks.

I wonder how many other bad habits I have from 40 years ago that will crop up again. Probably underestimating HMG's and artillery because on a 100yard board the SMG is king and you can't deploy a Mortar.....

Peter.

I'll be 41 this year, so I guess that makes me what? Mid range?

Built Tamiya model tanks as a kid which turned into research which turned into wargaming. I'm probably one of the worst tacticians around (I am incapable of seeing the big picture), but I've enjoyed gaming since being introduced to the Squad Leader boardgame in my early teens. Loved the original CMBO, and am itching for this new version... it almost makes me feel 30 again ;)

Even before I first saw an SPI game I used to play with 1:35 scale Tamaya models.

Fun times ... I love that scale ... I've gone back to that scale for gaming ... easier on my eyes and the tanks look cool on flatcars on my Large Scale railroad !

I also suffer from a bad habit of taking my armour in to close and losing guys assaulting tanks, but when you war is fought on an 8'x4' sheet of ply that works out at less than 100 yards by 50 yards at that scale you kind of get used to not engaging at range and running into tanks.

Yes , 4x8 in 1:35 does make some short range fire fights ....

I wonder how many other bad habits I have from 40 years ago that will crop up again. Probably underestimating HMG's and artillery because on a 100yard board the SMG is king and you can't deploy a Mortar.....

Peter.

I still set up 5000 pt Quick battles ... King Tigers vs Easy 8 Shermans ....

Lots of carnage ... and more tanks than I could afford in 1:35 !!

Fun times ... I love that scale ...

I still set up 5000 pt Quick battles ... King Tigers vs Easy 8 Shermans ....

Lots of carnage ... and more tanks than I could afford in 1:35 !!

I used to play my son QB assaults where his attacking force had almost three times my points.

In the ultimate Protection v Mobility battle in open rolling country in daylight (he liked to have things his way), he usually had about a dozen Elite King Tigers. My force was always thirty plus Regular Hellcats.

My basic tactic was three rows, all hiding. The first row near the front would hide till he got close and be positioned to move into his half of the map at speed in an effort to get behind him.

The second row would sit tight and wait for side shoots as he came forward and the last row would wait until the KT's had started to turn to engage rows one and two before engaging and hopefully getting side and rear shots.

I usually won in what was a really gamey daft match but rarely had as many as half a dozen Hellcats left.

Of course I finally came unstuck when he filled out his force by cutting it to ten King tigers and adding PZ11's to act as a screen. I could outrun the slow turret with the big 88mm but the small 20mm was to fast an cut up the paper thin armour on the Hellcat.

Not really a proper game of CNBO but good fun with my son.

Peter.

Magpie Oz.

It was fun, but it was between two totally unrealistic forces in a highly unlikely landscape fighting in an unusual way.

Thats not really what the game is best at, although it did do it well.

A proper game is a TO&E based force on an accurate Map with realistic objectives. Thtas where I am hoping CMBN will excel.

Peter.

66 and counting....

Was first introduced to wargaming in the mid fifties when my Dad gave me a copy of "Little Wars" by H.G. Wells. He said that this was a whole lot more interesting than setting up lead soldiers and blasting them with my older brother's .22 air rifle...

Fond memories of parquet floors, wooden blocks, carefully measured lengths of white strings and wheel mounted 6" naval guns amid mixed hoards of tin and plastic soldiers (and horses).

By the by: to all who are eagerly waiting the Demo, I seem to remember that Battlefront's Policy is to get the full game out the door first and only then work on the demo.

David

(Um..reposted - now in the right thread)

Anyone ever play the Skirmish Rules by a guy called Donald Featherstone. I mentioned these on here years back. They were all for 1:72 scale and the same rules with modifications covered periods of history

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Donald-Featherstones-Skirmish-Wargaming-Curry/dp/1409223892/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1304721827&sr=1-3

You can read them in part in Amazon. They were my first real war game and got me hooked on small unit tactics.

Peter.

By the by: to all who are eagerly waiting the Demo, I seem to remember that Battlefront's Policy is to get the full game out the door first and only then work on the demo.

That may have been the policy for some time now, but you may recall that prior to the release of CMBO there were three or four demos.

Michael