Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 2, The Quick Battle

Another standing ovation and thanks for doing these vids, tyrspawn. You are doing a superb job! Please (oh, please!) keep 'em coming. The shakes set in so fast afterwards...

Oh, and in case anybody missed it, you can start the vid at 720p, but after 20 minutes (you can skip the slider ahead), you can up it to 1080p. Trying to up it before the 20 minute mark causes an error.

Anyway, I want to repeat that you are doing a fantastic job and lots of folks like me greatly appreciate and respect your hard work.

Macisle

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done and thank you for the great preview!

Question on the tracers: I noticed both sides firing yellow tracers. I thought the US tended to use one color, and the Germans another. Or am I mistaken about that? It certainly would make it easier to tell who's firing where.

Crocodile WAS very much feared by German infantry. A demonstration squirt of flame could be enough for wholesale surrenders. In fact in one instance a troop of Crocodiles was going into laager for the night and as a precaution flamed the field perimeter - which lead to a number of prisoners appearing - AFAIR it was 60men.

I will asume that it will appear in a later module if not in the next one for British and SS. My guess is later as flame has yet to be sorted.

Superb...another plus is the music...CMSF menu music was enough to drive you insane...the mod to have no menu music was the first i downloaded...the music here was excellent...as was the action...watching that was like being shown all the things I've ever wanted\dreamed of in a tactical WW2 wargame .....

This was my wargaming heaven...

The tigers are arrived…(nervous laugh) ...My question is: Is there any allied tank (in CMBN) who produce this psychological effect on german troops?

Just yesterday I was playing a battle as Germans when my sole AT gun got knocked out then a dinky little M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage rounded the corner. "Dang! I'm screwed!" I thought. Everything's relative, I guess. :);)

MikeyD

Just yesterday I was playing a battle as Germans when my sole AT gun got knocked out then a dinky little M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage rounded the corner. "Dang! I'm screwed!" I thought. Everything's relative, I guess.

I understand, it's more important how you use your units than the unit itself...Thanks!

Well done and thank you for your efforts, Tyrspawn - much appreciated!

CMBN is indeed proving to be a slick production; a very worthy successor to CMBO and I am heartened to see that the QB system is every bit as good as some of the beta gang have been saying.

A couple of questions which, based on a single quick viewing, may only reflect my lack of understanding.

The placement of the foxholes seemed to be in a sort of 'ring' shape. Is that how they always appear or can they be spread out in a more linear fashion?

I noticed, in the set up phase some GIs crawling between the foxholes and it reminded me of the 'dance of death' in CMX1 when troops crawled out of foxholes and trenches when under heavy fire and breaking. Of course there was no fighting at this stage but it bothered me a little to see it.

The ATGs were placed within the 'ring' of foxholes - did that confer any benefit on them or could they have been dug-in seperately, on their own account?

About half way through, I'm sure I saw a German soldier by the wire fence, firing a Sturmgewehr 44. Did I and were they around at that time, in that theatre?

About half way through, I'm sure I saw a German soldier by the wire fence, firing a Sturmgewehr 44. Did I and were they around at that time, in that theatre?

Yes you did and AFAIK they were available in limited numbers and so appear in-game limited numbers.

Haven't had near any access to the internet in the last month or so...my comp died just in time for CMBN's release...BUT luckily enough I was able to get on here in time to catch this awesomeness. Great Vids, Tyrspawn. The QB was my favorite because of the ground level views and in your face action...looking forward to the WEGO vid.

This is looking to be the game I was wishing for since CMBO. The immersion is amped to 1000.

Thanks man!

Mord.

P.S. Now I just gotta get my friggin computer fixed!

The placement of the foxholes seemed to be in a sort of 'ring' shape. Is that how they always appear or can they be spread out in a more linear fashion?

No. This is a limitation of the need to keep a whole Team in a single 8x8m Action Spot. Physically the only way to do this is to have the foxholes spaced as you see them in the game. Usually this doesn't present any problems, but it is possible to get into some "micro LOS" issues in rare circumstances. Meaning, one or two guys can't see to a specific point and if that point was the focus of your field of fire, then they might have diminished opportunities to fire. But that's pretty much a given throughout the game so it's not really unique to just this one situation.

I noticed, in the set up phase some GIs crawling between the foxholes and it reminded me of the 'dance of death' in CMX1 when troops crawled out of foxholes and trenches when under heavy fire and breaking. Of course there was no fighting at this stage but it bothered me a little to see it.

Chris was using a version from a few weeks ago. This has been fixed since then. Or at least dramatically reduced. Unfortunately, this is a very difficult problem to completely eliminate because there are good reasons for Soldiers to relocate. Such as to get better firing positions, recover an important weapon, etc. The trick is to teach the TacAI when safety should override these sorts of actions, and that's difficult to do consistently 100% of the time.

The ATGs were placed within the 'ring' of foxholes - did that confer any benefit on them or could they have been dug-in seperately, on their own account?

The crew gets benefits, the gun does not. There's a specific defensive works (Hedgehog) that you can buy to put the gun AND the crew behind.

Yes, they were there. MP43/44 were in limited supplies in Normandy, probably mostly from "bring backs" of Eastern Front units recovering after the Winter/Spring fighting in the East. They are rarely seen in the game, with the normal alternative being a Kar98K.

Steve

I gotta admit I'm pretty impressed by the AI, with the exception of their use of the Tiger, but that may have been due to "him" being worried about possible hidden AT gun locations etc. That said I'm glad to see it held it BACK and let it go after the infantry as opposed to rushing it forward like it would have in CMx1.

As far as their arty bombardment + infantry assault though I'd say it did about as well as an "average" human player would.

Oh and what the heck is a hedgehog? He says it's a kind of cover...

I really really really can't wait for the Bulge and Ostfront games now... I can just imagine the epicness! This will be great fun though too.

Oh and what the heck is a hedgehog? He says it's a kind of cover...

It's a small spiky mammal.

Oh, that kind of hedgehog? A tank obstacle made by welding three iron beams together. Steve also uses them as cover for his guns. The rest of us, we use sandbag emplacements... :D

Oh, that kind of hedgehog? A tank obstacle made by welding three iron beams together. Steve also uses them as cover for his guns. The rest of us, we use sandbag emplacements... :D

Hedgehogs ARE something to be feared.

Doug and Dinsdale Piranha were born, on probation, in the slums of London, in 1929. Doug was born in February that year, and Dinsdale two weeks later, and again the week after that. Their father, Arthur Piranha, was a TV quizmaster and scrapmetal dealer who was well known to the police and a devout Catholic, who in January 1928 had married Kitty Malone, an upcoming East End boxer.

Dinsdale was deeply afraid of Spiny Norman, an (apparently) imaginary hedgehog who, he believed, lived in a hangar at Luton Airport and who "was wont to be about twelve feet from "snout to tail", (one version states "about twelve feet from "tip of his snout to his anus"); when Dinsdale was depressed, Norman could be anything up to eight hundred yards long."

Heh... we did rename them at one point, didn't we?

And for you Monty Python fans out there...

DINSDALE!

Steve

Say what you like about Dinsdale but he was kind to his mum and he knew how to treat a female impersonator.

However, I feel we should move on before a couple of big blokes in black suits come in and tell us that the humorous effects of this blog will be somewhat dissipated by its prolongation. Wouldn't want the forum to scratched would we?

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by hedgehog for gun emplacements, but in my mind I picture them to be something like this:

Whose grass mod is that? Also the shape of the gunners helmets is wrong, too domed. At that period of the war they were much more like the WWI originals only with .......