Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Video AAR 2, The Quick Battle

Hi my name is Chris "tyrspawn" Krause - i'm a Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy beta tester. I've been given the great opportunity to make a video AAR for the community.

The video is an AAR/walkthrough of the Quick Battle feature and my thoughts on Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread popped up while I was replying in the first VAAR thread, so I'll just go ahead and say it again - QBs are back baby!

Thanks once again for your efforts here tyrspawn - that was a superb bit of fun! Thanks for taking the time to do this, and for keeping the camera low - the firefights were superb, and the artillery barrage was an unexpected surprise! Great job!

Have just watched as far as the initial AI arty pounding, looks excellent. Particularly the way the AI decided ( as you did ), that putting troops in the town would be a poor move and that they would be on the flanks. Despite the fact that most of my games will be head-to-head, it's nice to see the AI will be no pushover, especially when learning the game.

Thanks for this, the drool is getting out of hand...

Very nice, Chris. I really appreciate that you listened to the whining---I mean, feedback---after the first vid. Loved seeing more ground-level detail in this one, and the slower pace ;). Really got me fired up, and I thought it communicated the "feel" of the game very well.

A mere one little thing that bothered me, game-wise (you know I can't help it): the fire mission audio. I'm assuming it's straight from CMSF?

No worries, I'm sure there will be a mod pretty immediately. (actually, can the audio be modded by the community, as it was in earlier games?)

Otherwise, awesome. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

(No, I mean it looks so delicious that I may try to literally eat it when it arrives. I hope not)

Excellent AAR - definitely convinced me to buy the game.

My only negative was near the start where the US voices start that "Secure the flanks" nonsense that's been there since CMx1.

My first task once I get the game will be to try and mod the voices.

Looks great, thanks Chris! I think that this AAR gave a much better feel for the game, not just QB, but overall how battles play out. Especially enjoyed seeing some of the many options for QB's. Wish I could read the text, but cant make out the point values, formations and such.

Anyways, two quick QB related questions and one sound question:

1. I saw that once you got to map selection, the only maps available were 'Assault' maps. I assume then if you were playing a 'Meeting Engagement' then only those maps would be available? Same for 'Attack' and 'Probe'? The map selection was very, very clear with the descriptive names. And by the way, how many QB maps are there! There were a *TON* of just assault ones!

2. When selection the force composition options, I saw that there were 'Infantry Only', 'Mech Infantry', 'Mix' and 'Armor Only'. The setting that I always used to use was 'Combined Arms' from the CMx1 games - ie. where you had some points for armor, but it only allowed for smaller armor force (via a porportional point limit) compared to your infantry force. Given the above options, and from the previous QB AAR, it sounds like there is no limitation as far as point values with the 'Mix' option. In other words, you could buy all tanks, all infantry or a mixture of both within the 'Mix' option. Is this correct? Where do light recon vehicles fit into the mix? Could I take say a Puma or Greyhound in a 'Infantry Only' battle?

3. Did the Garand 'ping' make the cut? :D Saw plenty of Garands firing in the video, but never heard a 'ping'. Obviously this is still the late Beta your using, so this may be changing. If the Garand 'ping' didnt make the cut, is there a way to mod it in?

Again, thanks for uploading the video! Looks great. Still taking more requests?

Thanks

Chad

Looks great, thanks Chris! I think that this AAR gave a much better feel for the game, not just QB, but overall how battles play out. Especially enjoyed seeing some of the many options for QB's. Wish I could read the text, but cant make out the point values, formations and such.

Anyways, two quick QB related questions and one sound question:

1. I saw that once you got to map selection, the only maps available were 'Assault' maps. I assume then if you were playing a 'Meeting Engagement' then only those maps would be available? Same for 'Attack' and 'Probe'? The map selection was very, very clear with the descriptive names. And by the way, how many QB maps are there! There were a *TON* of just assault ones!

2. When selection the force composition options, I saw that there were 'Infantry Only', 'Mech Infantry', 'Mix' and 'Armor Only'. The setting that I always used to use was 'Combined Arms' from the CMx1 games - ie. where you had some points for armor, but it only allowed for smaller armor force (via a porportional point limit) compared to your infantry force. Given the above options, and from the previous QB AAR, it sounds like there is no limitation as far as point values with the 'Mix' option. In other words, you could buy all tanks, all infantry or a mixture of both within the 'Mix' option. Is this correct? Where do light recon vehicles fit into the mix? Could I take say a Puma or Greyhound in a 'Infantry Only' battle?

3. Did the Garand 'ping' make the cut? :D Saw plenty of Garands firing in the video, but never heard a 'ping'. Obviously this is still the late Beta your using, so this may be changing. If the Garand 'ping' didnt make the cut, is there a way to mod it in?

Again, thanks for uploading the video! Looks great. Still taking more requests?

Thanks

Chad

I can't answer all of your questions, but there are hundreds of quick battles (and you're right about it being restricted to game type, not recycled), each map has unique terrain. There is virtually unlimited replayability.

I took some screenshots of the quick battle screens so you can see it in greater detail:

note: this quick battle is restricted to "infantry only"

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/quickbattle1.jpg

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/quickbattle2.jpg

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/quickbattle3.jpg

http://www.krauselabs.net/dump/quickbattle4.jpg

Chris, a heartfelt thanks for taking the time to make the videos... and for whatever beta goodness you are doing behind the scenes that we don't know about. While I don't play RT and often feel disoriented watching RT (I noticed this during the preview as well) I did appreciate your fine commentary regarding your strategy and tactics.

Sad to see the mudslinging at different games in the other thread though, it kind of reminds me of the RT vs WEGO debates. Anytime I forget that tastes are personal and subjective I lose all objectivity... I am absolutely convinced I am going to love CMBN (based on my love of CMx1 and CMSF and the preview and the AAR's posted on this board), but this doesn't mean that I won't also enjoy a few other games that strike my fancy (the pool of games I enjoy is getting smaller as I age however).

Again, thanks a lot for the time and effort, it is looking good!

A small note on the game graphics in the movie.

Remember that though the battle's being played on a late Beta build it was still a Beta. Most notably, the height of the water table for the river was still being worked on at the time. The current product is very much prettier so don't fret about that small detail. All fixed. Also, the windshield on the Army truck wasn't tranparent in that Beta but it is now. Details details! :)

Just an FYI, you can watch on 1080p as of the time of this posting after 20 minutes, the first 20 minutes doesn't have 1080p yet.

I'm making a WeGo video next.

You sir, are a tribute to the community. Thanks for making the great effort to pass these along to the community. You're owed a beer or two.

A mere one little thing that bothered me, game-wise (you know I can't help it): the fire mission audio. I'm assuming it's straight from CMSF?

No worries, I'm sure there will be a mod pretty immediately. (actually, can the audio be modded by the community, as it was in earlier games?)...

Actually, what's moddable? Sound? Unit graphics? Terrain graphics?

Thanks! Looks great. The QB's along with the campaign is probably what I'm looking forward to mostly - few questions for you if you don't mind, firstly, in the QB can you have unbalanced sides ie can the US have 5000 points versus a much smaller German force? Can you specify these points or is it much the same as it was before, ie Assault will give you a specific point difference and that's all there is.

Secondly, I heard it mentioned that artillery would be handled differently in this game, but apart from the different loadouts obviously, you still get the same linear/area fire plans - I presume this is an accurate representation?

Just a minor thing, shouldnt rain (even light) make horizon a bit more faded? Somehow it doesnt look right. Please scenario designers dont forget to add some haze/fog for atmospheric effects!

There are overcast and fog weather options from the Quick Battle setup screen, I just didn't have it enabled.

Thanks! Looks great. The QB's along with the campaign is probably what I'm looking forward to mostly - few questions for you if you don't mind, firstly, in the QB can you have unbalanced sides ie can the US have 5000 points versus a much smaller German force? Can you specify these points or is it much the same as it was before, ie Assault will give you a specific point difference and that's all there is.

Secondly, I heard it mentioned that artillery would be handled differently in this game, but apart from the different loadouts obviously, you still get the same linear/area fire plans - I presume this is an accurate representation?

Yes, in the Quick Battle I uploaded the germans had a significant point bonus over me, hence why they were able to attack with two companies + a tiger tank.

The only thing different with the artillery is a new "harass" option for effect. There are also Target Reference Points which you can buy, and also show up in various battles and campaign missions. The TRPs allow you to have "line of sight" on the area from any position, it's essentially the idea of pre-plotting a fire mission area.