Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

French Navy

It would. I don't quite remember, but I believe there was a chance for this happening in earlier editions of the SC series. In general, I think Free France should be upgraded a bit and receive a few more units in course of the game. As it stands, the option is very pricey for the UK (400mpp) at a critical time in the game and IMO not worth it. I'm not sure if choosing Free France is also connected with the Fort de France events and the US getting the Bearn CV (or was this only in earlier editions?), but the Free France event seems too expensive to pick.

Historically, Free France certainly played a more important role. In 1940, many experienced French (and polish, belgian) pilots participated in the battle of Britain. Later, the Free French had considerable troops fighting in Africa, Italy and ultimately France itself. French armies liberated Corsica, landed in major numbers in the South of France in August 44, later fought for Alsace and marched on to Germany. At the end of the war, France must have had more than a million regular soldiers in the field, mostly US equipped. From 43 onwards, Alger was btw. the capital of Free France (there were about one million Europeans living there at the time). The Vichy government on their side allowed Germany to use Tunis as a base from 41 onwards, which is not reflected in the game. There should possibly be a US option (not for free) to recognise Free France as the legitimate French Government once the allies take Alger. Britain would get the de Gaulle HQ, units (after some time) and the possibility to build more in Alger.

I agree, those 400 bucks criple England at a time when they can't aford it, in the end the material and rescources do balance the 400 mpp's out, but it's still not a very good investment. The game does provide for a large French army after the liberation of Paris though. If the player had a more active role in French resistance activities it might make the 400mpp's worth investing. Still I can't imagine that the British invested over 70% of their economy in establishing Free France, not at a time when they were prepairing for an invasion of their homeland. But I know a lot of things in this game are designed for play balance and I have not played often enough to be an expert.

My favorite quote after the war is when Albert Speer was asked about the French Resistance he said "Frenchh Resistance??? WHAT French Resistance???" The Free French forces as the Axis waned became somewhat viable. How ever the French Colaborationist by a factor of ten to twenty to one out did any French Resistancemyth that was largely created after the war.

With the said exceptions of the Maquee, and the French Communist.

I remember 1 game where the French sub did join the Allies when France surrendered, it supprised me because there was no message, it just stayed on the map when the others left. I don't know any rule regarding this or if other French ships also have a chance to fight on.

My favorite quote after the war is when Albert Speer was asked about the French Resistance he said "Frenchh Resistance??? WHAT French Resistance???" The Free French forces as the Axis waned became somewhat viable. How ever the French Colaborationist by a factor of ten to twenty to one out did any French Resistancemyth that was largely created after the war.

With the said exceptions of the Maquee, and the French Communist.

The resistance myth (ie. that all of France were somehow resistants) was, as you said, largely a creation of the gaullists and communists in 45. It's most important function was to lay the ground for the post-war consensus in France. Remember that 1940 was the biggest traumatism in modern French history.

The French communists were an integral part of the Forces Francaises de l'interieur after Jean Moulin (de Gaulle's envoy) unified the interior resistance movement in 43. L'armee de l'ombre (army of shadows) is a very good french movie based on these events.

It's true that the role of the Free French, both on the interior front and outside France, was limited until 43. The US recognition of the Free French as the legitimate government of France was an important step.

Still, the Free French played a major part on at least one occasion before the tide was definitely turned. If interested, you can read more about the battle of Bir-Hakeim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bir_Hakeim