Hyperthread and turbo boost technology.

I've been trying to get the most out of my laptop and its just not happening.

So I have a few questions to the developers... please bear with me im not a total pc geek.

It would seem to me that the game is coded to run on multi core processors but not coded to utilize hyperthreading technology. Is this a correct assumption?

The reason I ask this is because I have been observing my system resources etc to see exactly whats going on with my pc. I have an i7 Q740 @ 1.73 ghz and when running the game I see that the game is only using 4 physical cores and once in awhile i will get a small insignificant spike on one of the virtual cores.

What also bothers me is I also see that sometimes the game will switch from running on the 7th core to the 8th which would be the virtual core. Why does this occur?

Also if im turbo boost by 21x i get almost 2.9ghz speed on each core. So I'm lagging so much on the game. Any of you pc gurus care to chime in?

Does it just come down to this game being not really well optimzed for new technology?

I doubt you'll find many games using 8 or even 4 cores. Currently CPUs have more and more cores while software that can use them lags behind. The only examples that come to mind are video encoding and specialized programs. ToW games use up to 2 cores; if your CPU utilizes 4 cores while playing them it's good to hear, it means it distributes the load automatically to some extent.

I doubt you'll find many games using 8 or even 4 cores. Currently CPUs have more and more cores while software that can use them lags behind. The only examples that come to mind are video encoding and specialized programs. ToW games use up to 2 cores; if your CPU utilizes 4 cores while playing them it's good to hear, it means it distributes the load automatically to some extent.

Yes, you're absolutely right sir. For gaming, HyperThreading = off in BIOS works best for me, mainly because I tend to play more older games than newer ones (that properly "go around" it). I don't know of any games that utilize/benefit from HT at all.

When I need to do a lot of audio/video work then I just re-enable HT in BIOS.

Interesting you say all the ToW games are supposed to utilize dual-core though? :confused: In my experience I've only seen my ToW games using a single core, confirmed by the CPU performance graphs. In all ToW games I *never* saw more than one core being utilized in my quad! :confused: Anyone else?

Most other relatively newer games I've played are utilizing the 4 cores efficiently. For example, DCS: Black Shark (with the multi-core patch, obviously). Solid 60fps with that sim.

Specs: i7 920 EX58-UD5 @ 4GHz, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 285, Corsair HX 1000W PSU, Win7x64 / WinXP32 dual boot.