E-License

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do at least a Windows reinstall every 3 months. So for me it's 4 reinstalls for laptop and 4 for desktop per year.

Not that I need or want to know, but this sounds so outrageous I just got to ask. Why?

You are probably in a minority of one - if you think windows operating systems still dont benefit from a re-install.

Technique doesn't work by democratic voting.

If you don't infest the thing with viruses, an NT machine since version 5.0 doesn't need a reinstall, if you clean it out a bit once and a while.

I guess you use gold cables for your audio?

Not that I need or want to know, but this sounds so outrageous I just got to ask. Why?

Well the biggest reason is all the crap that Windows Accumulates over time. I work on different projects from time to time, often I look for programs that will help me do things better and faster. This involves a lot of demo and shareware installing in order to test if they do what they advertise.

Even when uninstalling these they still leave traces in Windows.

Numerous updates of programs used daily like Internet browser and their plugins. Updates of drivers and other utilities. All this leaves permanent traces in Windows. I could go on for a long time.

Did you ever try reformatting your laptop for example and feel how it feels faster and better with a fresh Windows Installation?? Why do you think that happens??

I also use my desktop as media center in my home along with a video projector and this means updating video and sound utilities from time to time. All this adds up after a while and requires a fresh restart. Another aspect is the security, you never now what you may have on the PC so reinstalling everything keeps a more secure environment.

So for people using their PC to play one or two games and surf the internet then 4 licenses might sound ok but to me who uses PC for much more than games it will not cut it in the long run... To use the car analogy would you accept buying a car and then only be able to unlock the car 4 times in one day? If you lock it 5th time then you have to wait until the next day and then you are only allowed to unlock it 1 time/day since you used up all allowed unlocks during your first day?? That is just not fair.....

Well, I'm hoping the game's going to be damn good (as I pre-ordered it). That AAR with all the pictures was absolutely amazing, and sold me. On the other hand, the Youtube video of the rotating image of the 'can' was a joke.

This E-License sounds like BS, but I'll put up with it if the game is excellent. It's yet another exception that I have to document and manage for when I go and re-format my drive, which I do at least once or twice/year (and I do use VM's a lot).

Harpoon2 had something similar several years back, and I eventually gave up on it. Waste of time and energy.

Why not use steampowered as a distribution method?

Nobody is ever happy with DRM solutions. If it was reversed and CMSF had the new system and CMBN was getting the old system, everyone would be in here bitching about how they have to deactivate their machines and that if they forget to deactivate then they can't unlock when they reinstall. I'd be willing to bet good money that people forgetting to deactivate, reinstalling, and being unable to deactivate is the reason they're changing licensing systems.

Just face it, guys. Battlefront think they need DRM to protect their work (I'm not convinced that's true, but they'd probably know better than me). They've tried different solutions through the years and found them to be lacking in one way or another. I'm sure that they feel this new system will be enough for 99% of users (seriously, who the hell reinstalls Windows every 3 months?) while lowering the hassle and cost of support. You can bitch here in the forums, but unless there are some severe negative repercussions post-release, I doubt we'll see any change. Switching from what they've been using for the past 5 years probably wasn't a snap decision, and it's unlikely to be reversed this late in the game.

Personally, while I detest DRM and think it just makes the lives of legitimate users more difficult, I'm thankful that BFC haven't chosen something worse. Many games allow you to install on ONE machine and that's it. No playing on your desktop at home and on your laptop when you leave town, and no network games against your buddies when they come over. Silent Hunter 5 required an active internet connection so that it could phone home *even when playing offline in single player*. If your net connection dropped, the game exited. Of course, the game was a complete flop and sold about a dozen copies because people refused to put up with the DRM scheme. If something like that happens to CMBN, then BFC will either have to make changes or go under. Given the current preorders, the general lack of competitors, and the relatively non-intrusive nature of the new DRM system, I doubt BFC has much to worry about.

Nobody is ever happy with DRM solutions. If it was reversed and CMSF had the new system and CMBN was getting the old system, everyone would be in here bitching about how they have to deactivate their machines and that if they forget to deactivate then they can't unlock when they reinstall. I'd be willing to bet good money that people forgetting to deactivate, reinstalling, and being unable to deactivate is the reason they're changing licensing systems.

Just face it, guys. Battlefront think they need DRM to protect their work (I'm not convinced that's true, but they'd probably know better than me). They've tried different solutions through the years and found them to be lacking in one way or another. I'm sure that they feel this new system will be enough for 99% of users (seriously, who the hell reinstalls Windows every 3 months?) while lowering the hassle and cost of support. You can bitch here in the forums, but unless there are some severe negative repercussions post-release, I doubt we'll see any change. Switching from what they've been using for the past 5 years probably wasn't a snap decision, and it's unlikely to be reversed this late in the game.

Personally, while I detest DRM and think it just makes the lives of legitimate users more difficult, I'm thankful that BFC haven't chosen something worse. Many games allow you to install on ONE machine and that's it. No playing on your desktop at home and on your laptop when you leave town, and no network games against your buddies when they come over. Silent Hunter 5 required an active internet connection so that it could phone home *even when playing offline in single player*. If your net connection dropped, the game exited. Of course, the game was a complete flop and sold about a dozen copies because people refused to put up with the DRM scheme. If something like that happens to CMBN, then BFC will either have to make changes or go under. Given the current preorders, the general lack of competitors, and the relatively non-intrusive nature of the new DRM system, I doubt BFC has much to worry about.

I agree. As far as I'm concerned I believe BFC will take care of their customers. These guys work to hard making a living to let it be destroyed by something they can fix if need be.:)

lee

Technique doesn't work by democratic voting.

If you don't infest the thing with viruses, an NT machine since version 5.0 doesn't need a reinstall, if you clean it out a bit once and a while.

I guess you use gold cables for your audio?

What business is it of yours why I do it ? Its not a fetish - so just accept Its necessary. The point is - I am not asking you to - and I shouldnt be limited by the DRM on something I have bought if I want to.

Yes... and ? whats your point exactly. Sorry - but just because YOU say something about there being no reason to re-install doesnt make it true.

True. It's funny how some people just can't see outside their own box.

It's like me saying "who the hell actually drinks coffee in the morning?". Just because I see it unnecessary doesn't mean everyone else has to follow or?... Some people are just....

On a Blackberry, so excuse me not reading this whole thread while being driven 365km from a stadium. It's a bumpy road! Can I ask a simple question:

Why did BFC decided to drop eLicense?

Was the eLicense 'service' running in the background such a hindrance & problematic for Battlefront? eLicense seemed an elegant system. Obviously some serious consideration(s) by BFC changed their minds to forgo this DRM method?

A couple of points, if I may:

4 "activations" plus one per year appears to be the default.

Moon has stated that the potential number is unlimited therefore it is reasonable to suppose that BFC would be able to increase the number of available activations to those who ask.

The default will serve most people, those who require more will be able to get them at minimal additional hassle.

Ah Jeez, Here we go pickin on coffee:), I have about an 8 cupper every morning... its better then the beer I use to have with my cornflakes :)

I'm a tea drinker, which often seems to make me a pariah, especially in the Pacific Northwest where a Starbucks is on every corner!

On a Blackberry, so excuse me not reading this whole thread while being driven 365km from a stadium. It's a bumpy road! Can I ask a simple question:

Why did BFC decided to drop eLicense?

Was the eLicense 'service' running in the background such a hindrance & problematic for Battlefront? eLicense seemed an elegant system. Obviously some serious consideration(s) by BFC changed their minds to forgo this DRM method?

They mentioned a lot of problems with anti-virus software. That must cost them a lot on support.

Also, the unlock of another activation for people who could not unlicence must have been a drain on their resources.

A couple of points, if I may:

4 "activations" plus one per year appears to be the default.

Moon has stated that the potential number is unlimited therefore it is reasonable to suppose that BFC would be able to increase the number of available activations to those who ask.

The default will serve most people, those who require more will be able to get them at minimal additional hassle.

Question:

Second question, are you willing to be more flexible on the number of activations (4 seems rather sparse for 2 machines)?

Answer by Moon:

No.

The easiest solution to installation limits, as implimented by other game software developers, is to have a "deactivation tool" so the user doesn't go through their allotted activations.

I'm not planning on reformatting. Last year I added a hard drive to my laptop, it runs in a RAID configuration, which means I re-installed the OS. My desktop was rebuilt for CMSF and I will be rebuilding it again in the coming year. I've been toying with the idea of switching from Vista to the latest Windows offering. When I rebuilt the desktop I used the hard drives I had already which means they're getting older. Who knows when/if they might fail. What if my AV protection manages to interfere or, worse yet, fails to protect me from an OS crippling virus? There are just so many things that could reasonably happen, some I'm quite sure I've overlooked, that it is not "outlandish" to question why one would want a "deactivation tool".

I've had the same HP laptop for a year and a half now. Runs Win7. I bought it so I could play CMSF on the go. I use Crap Cleaner and Microsoft's Security Essentials. I'm online all the time. I download a lot of stuff. Granted, I don't use it professionally. I pretty much only use iTunes to update my phone and edit short videos on windows movie maker. I have a few freeware programs. I've had very few issues. What I did have came and went. My computer really does not seem to have lost much in the way of performance. It really does not seem any slower. Maybe it has slowed slightly. It's definitely far and above my last Vista laptop. It was slower than molasses in January. :)

I remember Win95, 98 and XP. I am trying to forget Vista. XP was the better of 95, 98 and Vista. Win7 is by far the best of all of them IMHO.

Question:

Second question, are you willing to be more flexible on the number of activations (4 seems rather sparse for 2 machines)?

Answer by Moon:

No.

That question was unclear. For a clearer question and resulting answer:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1241076&postcount=231

And if really everything fails, and you have a legitimate reason for an extra activation within the 365 day period, you can always go to www.battlefront.com/helpdesk and explain why. We won't grant every request (especially not if you make them every week ;)) but at the end of the day the licensing system is not there to deny paying customers their activations (even if they may sneak out a few more than they should), but to prevent uncontrolled widespread distribution of our intellectual property... and that isn't undermined by being flexible on the rules, if need be.

Seems clear enough to me. Seems fair enough to me, too.