An invitation to other lurkers

Thought i'd poke my head up and say hi, i wondered if there were others of us out there.

I was a big fan of the original CM and it's 2 exspansions. My friends and I played hundreds of PBEM games but I never really joined the larger community. Still I tended to lurk here to read interesting threads and feel a part of something a bit bigger than my group.

CM:SF never got a hold of me, maybe it was the setting or maybe it was that it ran poorly for me, at least initially. So I slipped away from the community.

Now with CM2 nearing release I've been an avid forum reader, refreshings a few times a day to follow all the AAR's and the debates.

I'm curious if there are other "regulars" out there like me that don't end up posting much if at all.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two posts in one thread? Apparently, sir, neither are you!

I've been a lurker here, and mostly still am (if defined by age of account and number of posts). Not being a grog makes it difficult to even contemplate entering some of the discussions here - it also removes any desire to do so :D.

One thing posting does is timestamp my opinion of things. I recently revisited a thread from a few years ago and was startled to find that my feelings about things have changed quite a bit, e.g., I am now not in favor of command delays whereas 2 years ago I was. It is actually refreshing to see that even in my declining years I am able to take in new information and change my opinions. Hmmm... sorry for the off topic rambling - yet another reason to keep my post count low.

Two posts in one thread? Apparently, sir, neither are you!

I've been a lurker here, and mostly still am (if defined by age of account and number of posts). Not being a grog makes it difficult to even contemplate entering some of the discussions here - it also removes any desire to do so :D.

LOL I had one post since 2006 prior to the announcement of CMBN. I have all the CMSF modules and though I think it is interesting, I much prefer a WW 2 simulator. I loved CMBO and did all the mods to CMAK to make it look like Normandy, but once I saw CMSF the 3 stooges look was just never the same. I have to admit all the discussions of penetration characteristics is a bit intimidating, but am really glad it is happening.

I was a true lurker for years. I actually didn't even bother with registering on the forums until some time ago.

Then again I didn't have the time to "poast stuffz on the internets" back then. :P

I don't know how many hours I've spent playing CM games. I honestly don't WANT to know since the numbers are probably eclipsing that of any other game I've played with the possible exception of V for Victory, Falcon 1-4 or possibly eve-online. Oh my, I just realized I'm still a computer junkie.

I knew there were more than a few of us *Grin*

So is it just me or does anticipation of CMBN seem to be bringing us out of the woodwork? I would be curious if the site can generate stats on posters to show if there is an increase in activity by members who have been around awhile but not posting. Yeah I am in Telecom and am always getting asked what inane data I can report on so someone can post it in a powerpoint - God's gift to those unable to actually read a document and form an understanding.... see the pretty pictures?

I guess BFC may have a better idea based on sales of pre orders.

Like you, I played all the CM World War II games by PBEM. When I found out about CM Battle for Normandy, I also started visiting the Battlefront forums. It had been so long that I had forgotten my username and password. I considered buying the pre-order version of CM BN but the shipping cost to Canada is $14 so I am going to wait until it is released and order the digital download. At that time, I can burn a DVD as my physical back up. The steel box is not something that I need.

Cheers lads. I think I definitely qualify as a lurker...maybe I'll even get the "stalker" merit badge since I've lusted for a CMx1 re-write for so long.

Posting history: Last CMx1 post, Oct/2004

Posted maybe twice in 2007 after CMSF came out. It just didn't have any hook for me.

Now with the imminent arrival of CMBN I've been doing my best to reawaken the Deep Old Ones from their slumber. Unfortunately in those long years between CMx1 and CMBN the place seems to have been taken over by a bunch of light weights. :D

Cheers

MRD

Thought i'd poke my head up and say hi, i wondered if there were others of us out there.

I was a big fan of the original CM and it's 2 exspansions. My friends and I played hundreds of PBEM games but I never really joined the larger community. Still I tended to lurk here to read interesting threads and feel a part of something a bit bigger than my group.

CM:SF never got a hold of me, maybe it was the setting or maybe it was that it ran poorly for me, at least initially. So I slipped away from the community.

Now with CM2 nearing release I've been an avid forum reader, refreshings a few times a day to follow all the AAR's and the debates.

I'm curious if there are other "regulars" out there like me that don't end up posting much if at all.

Exact same boat as you described above. SF never grabbed me. Been lurking again with CM:BN on the horizon. Not sure I ever signed up for the forums back with the first CM. It appears I may have with a different email addy, but that was many years ago. Signed up anew a couple days ago. Anticipation of BN got the better of me and popped my head out of my hole.

You may be right, two views but only one reply, and you sir are NOT a lurker.

:) you are right there , Mr Emrys is about as opposite as a lurker as its possible to get , in fact do you have the most posts :)

Big welcome to any new posters, hope you find the forum fun. Some incredibly knowledgeable people around here in the area of WW2 and beyond, i have learnt much from them , its not all about the Battlefronts software but history too.

Member turned lurker turned member again. Lost my original id due to having it tagged to an OLD email addy (if anyone at BF happens to read this, I'd love to have it back...just sayin').

Joined back in 1999/2000 when the CMBO demo was released. Heck, I was even around for the "Night of the Refreshing Monkeys". Really looking forward to getting the game and finding some old mates.

LET THE NONSENSICAL POSTING BEGIN!